missing??? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
missing???

so I ran out of fuel and this old mand had some gas in an old can about a gallon. I think it had some water of some thing in. So I put some octane booster in it along with some 93 to clear it up. about 30 min. into my ride I was running around 8k rpm. ( full yosh, pc, and -1 front.) I went to pass a car and when I twisted the throttle it almost died. I could not get the bike over 9k and it wouldn't gain any speed. I pulled in the clutch and reved the bike and it sounded fine and went t the red line. i let out and it would run fine to 8k and then stated missing agian. Made it home let the bike sit for awhile and took it back out after checking the fluids. It did fine. 20 min ride. But today on my ride to work (1 hour) after running about 7-8k for 45 min it started the same thing.
Did the octane boost crap hurt my pc or do I just need to run that whole tank out or what. never had any problems before this.
04, 25000 miles, regular service

Facebook.com/AshtonKnowles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 06:27 PM

well i really couldnt tell you what is the right thing to do.

but i would syphon everything out of the gas tank. and fill it up with some 93.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 06:38 PM

if there is anything left to syphon i'd say do that..if not I'd say try and run some fuel system cleaner through it..keep us posted

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 07:10 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Strange it only happens under load. No sputtering at all when revving it with the clutch in?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 07:18 PM
Moto GP Racer

i would syphon tht fuel out. maybe check your hoses...maybe one is pinched...? I dunno bro...keep us posted....maybe check the fuel filter. gl

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 08:07 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It sounds like your starving for fuel. You may have gotten some trash in the fuel strainer or one or more injectors. If it doesn't clear up in the next tank or two (use Chevron w/ Techron gas) I'd pull the tank and inspect the fuel pump and strainer.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2005, 10:28 PM

Mine did the same thing once up in the mountains. I was just starting out and gunned it get going and nothing. I had the throttle pinned and it wouldnt go, no power just sputter. i almost rolled backwards down the mountain.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 07:39 AM

If you have water in it, drain the tank. I dont think we have a fuel filter. At least on a 03. If you havn't changed the plugs lately and new fuel dont fix it. I'd say the plugs are going. They may even look good, but can still be going bad.
Maybe add a fuel stabilizer that absorbs water in gas.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 08:21 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekon
....I dont think we have a fuel filter. At least on a 03.
Technically you're correct. We don't have an inline fuel filter. However, we do have a mesh type filter media over the fuel pump inlet that's called a fuel strainer. If something such as a piece of a leaf gets trapped in the strainer it could starve the fuel pump. Or it may just be gummed up with varnish?

But I have to agree with you on it might be water. That's why I sugessted he just run it out if possible without having to pull/dump the tank. I know in cars/trucks you can add Rubbing alcohol to the tank and it absorbs the water but I'm still reluctant to do that on these bikes. I know the TB's have a Molybdenum coating that carb cleaners will strip off. I'm not sure if there are any other parts downstrem of the fuel pump with Moly coating. That may be why some people say not to use fuel injection cleaners. Not sure.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page