My Bike turned off, wont turn back on - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Lightbulb My Bike turned off, wont turn back on

I rode home from sacramento out to the coast where i live, and got 2 miles from home and my bike just turns off and the check oil/temp light came on. The oil was between the two fill levels perfectly, my bike is 6 months old and has had 2 oil changes and i am about to do the third now that its at 3500.

I drained it last night and although the oil was a lil darker, there wasnt shavings in it like the last two times. When the bike turned off, I was at a stop light, and the temp was about 180 degrees, so 45 below even when the fan comes on.

Now, no matter what, the bike will not even turn over, the red light wont go off. Did I rattle a sensor loose or something. I even pulled the battery cable to try to reset the electronics, but that didnt help. All my blinkers and headlights and other electrical **** still works, and theres plenty of fresh high octane in her.

How do i get the red light to go off and get my baby running again. I have an appointment tuesday to get my bike checked out under warrantee, plus i have a 5 year extended warrantee. If it is something I can fix today and go riding i would much rather do that.

need a lil help. searched and couldnt find somethin similar, as my headlights are still connected and everything

Aww, they love each other, but are Jealous of who gets my attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Nemesis

There is a common problem with our batteries. The battery doesn't hold it's charge sometimes, and you have to remember to keep the RPM's above 5500 in order for the battery to charge up properly.

I'd recharge the battery using a battery tender as I've experieced the same thing you did.

And that oil light you speak of, I've noticed it looks like it's always on...then again I'm cross-eyed so I could have mistaken that for the redline...hahaha
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Resident Leg-Humper Females Beware

Feedback Score: 18 reviews
the oil light will always be on when the bike is not running but the key is turned. there is no oil pressure (why the light is on) when the bike is not running.

HOOORRRAAAYYYY FOR BOOOOOTTIEES!!!

BALALALALALA OMG TERRORIST!!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

the whole rest of the night i was well above 4500 rpm. Spent most of the night making really good time home. The bike turned off while i was just idling for the first time of the day. so at 6 months even the battery would go dead? Can you jump start a bike? Like turn it over with the saddle off and jumpers hooked to my car?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggs2Dope
the whole rest of the night i was well above 4500 rpm. Spent most of the night making really good time home. The bike turned off while i was just idling for the first time of the day. so at 6 months even the battery would go dead? Can you jump start a bike? Like turn it over with the saddle off and jumpers hooked to my car?
Probably a bad idea but I have done it before, so yeah it is possible.
Nice accord BTW.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:49 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My bike just died out of nowhere @2300miles when i was cruising town, had to tow it home. kept cranking, but wouldnt start. FI wouldnt prime, the fuse was blown. Replaced with spare, turned bike on, heard FI prime but when i tried starting it blew that fuse too. Towed it to dealer. Culprit = Bad ignition coil, burnt a hole through the housing. Repaired under warranty. Good luck getting her running again.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 04:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you heard your fuel injectors (FI) prime?! wow they must be loud haha

and yeah its not really a good idea to jump it with a car but it can be done. however, this isn't a permanent solution if your battery is draining while riding. get a charger on it
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-12-2005, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
World Superbike Racer

I took off all the plastics, and disconnected and reconnected all visible electrical connections, and changed the oil for the third time. it was really dark, but at least theres not any shavings in it anymore, so the pistons are probably set in thier grooves.

Once I re-hooked up all the connectors and filled the oil to the top, and checked all fuses and put them back, it turned over like it was brand new. I think all the high speed driving on rough pavement and hitting the wood and squirrel rattled some connector loose somewhere in either FI or the starter or something. I dunno why it would die the one time i actually come to a complete stop tho.

I am just glad to not have to tow it to the dealer or even have the dealer touch it. My dealer is really good, but I have heard horror stories of bikes being crashed, stolen, damaged, etc at dealers, or having them say the warrantee doesnt cover it and charge out the ass.

total cost of repairs was about 35 bux for oil, filter, 6 dolla tip for tow driver, and 4 bux for a rubber nut for the fairing i lost when i test rode the bike without plastics. Thanks for all the input, but i still really have no clue what the culprit was, but definitely think it was a loose connector.

and thanks for the compliment on the accord. put a lot of dollars and wrenchtime on lil stuff here, there and everywhere. used to mod hondasociety, superhonda, and some other forums, and run honduh.com. an old friend from SHO also owns v6performance.net.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page