tranny problem when shifting high in gear? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
tranny problem when shifting high in gear?

ok so i was entering the freeway and you know how sometimes we ALL bang it entering the freeway? well yeah. i was shifting from either 3rd to 4th or 4th to 5th and as i was shifting it didn't go into the next gear all the way AND it was making this "rattling" noise like something was loose inside. then what i did was pull in the clutch and pressed it into gear and it was fine. scared the crap out of me tho cause i bought my bike brand new in august and i have only 3,000 miles on her. i did some research and came up with a "false neutral" BUT i wasn't shifting from 1st to 2nd when this happened sooooo...is my bike fu*ked up? =( maybe i didn't push it into the next gear firmly? any info please?!? take some worries off my mind! haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 01:46 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You may have to adjust the shift linkage.. it may be too short. Loosen one of the nuts on the end of the linkage and "unscrew" the shaft as to length the throw. It takes some fiddling around with to get it right.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol808lo
You may have to adjust the shift linkage.. it may be too short. Loosen one of the nuts on the end of the linkage and "unscrew" the shaft as to length the throw. It takes some fiddling around with to get it right.

the shift linkage like where you shift with your foot? i adjusted that to my liking already so where i don't have to lift my foot up to shift up or down.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:14 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
you just hit a false neutral... neurtral itself only exists between 1st and 2nd... but you can also settle the gears into a point where they're not quite engaged all the way in any gear, or between any gear... you probably just didn't kick it hard enough... people will tell you to shift gently, baby the shifts, but sometimes you gotta treat her rough and just slam that b!tch. otherwise you get what you did...

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 03:41 PM

yeah you just got between gears... and thats also the noise you heard
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:33 PM

Yeah, you were in between gears. If that ever happens again the best thing to do is to pull in the clutch, hit your kill switch and coas to a complete stop. After you've stoped, put the bike back in gear with the motor off and start over. By trying to shift while in between gears and the motor and transmision running, that is the best way to warp one of the shift forks and lead to cosly repairs that wont be covered under warranty. More than likley your OK, but don't do it again if you can help it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2005, 04:40 PM

in my experience the tranny needs some miles on it before its perfect. so with so few miles on it im sure the kinks will get worked out. my bike had about the same amount of miles on it when all of a sudden one night within a matter of about 30 minutes it dropped back into 5th when i shifted to 6th and then a few minutes later it went to neutral from 1st on its own.... since then i have put almost another 3,000 miles on it and its been absolutely perfect. it was like the bike was saying "ok now EVERY part of me is absolutely broken in so you can now ride me however you wish" lol. so idt anything will happen again and its been said that this transmission is one of the best that honda has made which says a lot.

Last edited by potate311; 12-11-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page