Possible Rectifier Problem? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible Rectifier Problem?

I dunno know if this is the case with my bike or not. I seem to remember reading something about the 03 RR models having problems with the rectifier? I may be completely butchering this.

The reason I ask is because I've been having problems with this on and off for the past year and it finally bit me in the ass last night. I was riding around town for about an hour and stopped off at a gas station to refuel. I turned the bike off and did my business, went to start the bike again --- and it wouldn't start. The battery seemed to be fully charged and I got a whine from the FI. But it just wouldn't start. I eventually had to have it push started with the help of a drunken bum (no joke).

This has happened a couple of times before. Same situation, I would be riding for a bit, I would stop, then try to start the bike a moment later, and it would not start properly. Except all the times before, it WOULD start, but it sounded like it was trying its damnedest to do so.

Is there anything that I can do to prevent this from happening again? Isn't there a recall on the 03 for this sort of thing? While we're on the subject what other kind of recalls have there been?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
no rectifier recalls the only reacll on the 03 was the rear brake bonjo
or what ever its called the best thing to do is perform a load test on
the battery and basically according to the figures you get will confirm either the battery has damaged cells ie will not hold a charge or its being overcharged by the rectifier causing it to act the way it does and it has been damaged internally & it does not hold the charge its getting from the rectifier i hope this makes sense

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I just did a bunch of searching and reading on the forums just now. And it seems like I may need to get a new rectifier + heat shield/mount. Possibly get a new battery. Does anyone still have this problem with their 05's?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 07:09 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Problem with the rectifier was on some '03s. I've not run into trouble on mine so far and I have bike #184. Some have bought a rectifier off an '04-05 which seemed to solve the problem. Could be just a crap battery too though. As mentioned, either you have a crap battery that doesn't hold a charge and need a new one or you have a crap battery that doesn't hold a charge caused by a crap rectifier and will need to replace both.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Butters
before you commit to buying anything do that test bro
here is a great link for info check it out
http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Last edited by Moeman; 12-28-2005 at 07:17 PM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you also have to take into consideration wheather or not the stater is getting to much motor heat into it, and it may be dragging. Homerjay had starter issues with his. then i had a mouse build a nest on top of mine insulating it very well.

does it only do this on hot start?
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 07:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceph
you also have to take into consideration wheather or not the stater is getting to much motor heat into it, and it may be dragging. Homerjay had starter issues with his. then i had a mouse build a nest on top of mine insulating it very well.

does it only do this on hot start?

A mouse? Really? Did it chew your wiring?
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 12-28-2005, 07:45 PM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_rocket65
A mouse? Really? Did it chew your wiring?
didn't get my wiring, but it did get my cousins. had to rebuild the whole harness for a ZX6RR. that sucked.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Yes, it only does it on a hot start. Never on cold starts.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:22 AM

My buddy gsxr did the same thing. It only happened when he used his kill switch to shut his bike off. Never found out what was the matter with it.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:32 AM
Moto GP Racer

if it's only when hot, it's your starter.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:41 AM

I just recently went through that problem but I had it fixed by replacing the rectifier and getting a new battery.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

So replacing the rectifier with an 05 model and getting a new battery (just to be sure) won't fix my problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceph
if it's only when hot, it's your starter.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 02:02 AM
Moto GP Racer

if your starter is dragging when it's hot, and it starts fine after it cools off... it's not a charging problem at all. that eliminates it being the rectifier/regulator or the battery. it's the starter.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-02-2006, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

is the starter a pain to replace/upgrade? I have no idea how to even begin to go about that...
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 05:20 PM

Rectifier, Battery, or Starter??

Hi there,

I am trying to help my brother troubleshoot this "Hot starting problem" on his '03 600 RR. Here is what we have done so far -

Jump starting works flawlessly just as others have stated in previous posts.

I have an '05, when my bros bike would NOT start, we threw the battery from my bike in it and it fired right up, no problem. So we went and bought him a new battery. Hot starting seemerd to be resolved, or at least we thought so for a few days. Battery cost - $110.00

Now since he is having the problem again, I have read other post about not using your high beams so much. I had told my bro to "Always" have your high beams on just for safety purpose to make yourself more visible. Our next test is to have him ride the bike for the next few times and "NOT" use the high beams at all.

Replacing the rectifier -
Some peolpe have stated to replace your rectifier with a '04 or '05 one that the '03 had issues. Just called the stealership, they stated that '03 - '05 all have the same exact part for the rectifier, so not sure if that is a fix that you can rely on.
I am thinking of trying to put my bikes rectifier on my bros bike and test it out, and maybe seeing if his rectifier on my bike causes my bike to behave like his.. Question - Where is the rectifier located at - Can someone let me know how to get to it, or post some pics of it?
Cost of new Rectifier from Stealership - $152. So I do not want to tell my bro to buy a new one unless we know for sure that is what it is, especially since we replaced the battery and already spent $110 and the problem is not solved.

The Starter -

If it is the starter, that would make sense if it got too hot and then would not work. Although like I said earlier, when it would not statrt we swtched batteries and it fired right up. so my thought at this point is that it has to be the rectifier.

Update on 1-20-05 - Problem fixed!!
Since I saw so many posts from others who said to not drive with the brights on on an '03 I told my bro to ride without the brights exclusively and he has not had a problem since!!
So this is what I think is going on here, the '03 the rectifier has sh**y protection from the heat of the headers(no heat shield, my '05 has a pretty beefy heat shield), so if the bike gets too hot, like over 200 and the fan kicks up and the bright lights are on, the recitifier is too hot to operate properly, thus not sending the appropriate charge to the battery, maybe because there is too much draw on the battery because of the brights and the fan being on at the same time or something. Anyways, if you have this "hot starting" problem on an '03, at least try driving excusively with the brights "never" on and I bet you it will solve the problem. Our next step is to try and get an '05 "heat shield" and install it on my bros '03. Then, my guess is that he will be able to ride with his brights on all the time becuase the rectifier will not over heat.

I hope this helps others to narrow down this problem because this was a wierd one!!

Thanks everyone!

T

Last edited by togles; 01-20-2006 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Update to this problem
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:49 AM
Moto GP Racer

rectifier is that shiny silver thing in front of my cage.

post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 11:52 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

starter is easy...just know you'll have to remove a radiator hose out the way of some bolts.....its right under yo gas tank...just flip the tank up and use the 40 bottle to hold it up...i changed mine... no dice...goin for new rectifier...and 3rd battery

im aimin' my headlights at tha treez...when i roll with my team / got my face in the breeze
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by togles
Replacing the rectifier -
Some peolpe have stated to replace your rectifier with a '04 or '05 one that the '03 had issues. Just called the stealership, they stated that '03 - '05 all have the same exact part for the rectifier, so not sure if that is a fix that you can rely on.
I am thinking of trying to put my bikes rectifier on my bros bike and test it out, and maybe seeing if his rectifier on my bike causes my bike to behave like his.. Question - Where is the rectifier located at - Can someone let me know how to get to it, or post some pics of it?
Cost of new Rectifier from Stealership - $152. So I do not want to tell my bro to buy a new one unless we know for sure that is what it is, especially since we replaced the battery and already spent $110 and the problem is not solved.
I replaced the rectifier on my '03 with an '05 rectifier that I bought off of ebay for $50. The seller had excellent feedback and I haven't had any issues so far. I also replaced the battery at the same time and began using a Battery Tender Jr. My RR would be sort of hard to start in the Texas heat but I never had a time when it wouldn't start. It was enough to worry me though. Anyways, don't know what rope your dealership is smoking but there are 2 different part numbers for the different year rectifiers. The '03 is 31600-MEE-003 and the '05 is 316-MEE-872. Go to ronayers.com and look in the microfiche under the wiring harness section and you'll see them. The '05 is shaped slightly different and has the heat shield. The rectifier is directly behind the left side mid fairing.

Check out these threads:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...1&page=2&pp=15
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35621
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 02:21 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Seems like everyone is just dying to spend money round here. New batteries, new rectifier, new starter, without ever diagnosing the problem. I think at over $100 a part trial and error is probably not the best solution....

That being said, why not go spend $50 and get a decent multimeter and then just follow this: http://forums.cbrworld.net/forums/140473/ShowPost.aspx The pics are of the test being done on an f3, but all the steps should be the same for the 600rr.

The rectifier/regulator can go bad. If it goes bad its usually because it overheats. I know on my f2 the reg/rec went and the plug from the harness was all burnt and melted - found out its a common thing on f2's. One thing that might work, not positive, but if you go to radio shack and buy a little ceramic heatsink or somthing and then just use some thermal paste to glue it on. You shouldnt need to do that, but if its getting too hot (like was stated in one of the threads linked to above) then that should take care of it.

If the charging diagnosis doesnt point out the reg/rec, stator, or battery, then maybe its the starter - like the Ceph mentioned.

1993 CBR F2 - 95 F3 Motor - 98 carbs - Stage 1 Jet Kit - 520 Chain/Sprockets -1/+3 - 2005 1000rr front end - 2005 GSXR 750 Clipons and controls - 2005 GSXR 750 Tail section - Custom subframe - 2003 600RR Swingarm, suspension, and rear wheel - 2001 f4i gauges - HID lighting - Under engine dual exit exhaust - Super streetfightering it now....
View Swingarm and Gauges how to's here: http://www.fotki.com/cbrf23

Last edited by cbrf23; 01-20-2006 at 02:26 PM.
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 06:54 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
I replaced the rectifier on my '03 with an '05 rectifier that I bought off of ebay for $50. The seller had excellent feedback and I haven't had any issues so far. I also replaced the battery at the same time and began using a Battery Tender Jr. My RR would be sort of hard to start in the Texas heat but I never had a time when it wouldn't start. It was enough to worry me though. Anyways, don't know what rope your dealership is smoking but there are 2 different part numbers for the different year rectifiers. The '03 is 31600-MEE-003 and the '05 is 316-MEE-872. Go to ronayers.com and look in the microfiche under the wiring harness section and you'll see them. The '05 is shaped slightly different and has the heat shield. The rectifier is directly behind the left side mid fairing.

Check out these threads:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.p...1&page=2&pp=15
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=35621

good bit of info here....the dealers i happened to ask must toke ropes too...because i ve gotten that same {wrong} answer from all of the 1nz i went to... maybe its a honda computer error..

im aimin' my headlights at tha treez...when i roll with my team / got my face in the breeze
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 06:57 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

lets take a poll ...how many people held their starter button for a long time (causing it to burn out)
possibly after the rectifier was not functioning correctly...???
this could explain the starter rectifier battery killer virus..

post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 06:57 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

oh yeah....plus meee

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Pocketbike Racer

i think i may have had some problems with mine, i just picked up an 05 rectifier from eBay for $25

2002 BMW Titanium Silver Metallic M3
2001 BMW Alpine White 330Ci
2003 Honda CBR600 RR
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Pocketbike Racer

I have starting issues on my 03' too, but I think it is my da$%ed fault... After starting and stopping over and over one day apartment looking my battery died, soooo me thinking it was OK jumped my bike with my car..(after a long walk to get my car) Well, stupid me, I didn't know at the time that if you jump with a car to not have the car running, so that pretty much did it for my battery since I have been having starting problems since. Comes spring I am going to buy a new battery, make a heatshield for my rectifier, and cross my fingers.... I got pretty sick of push starting my bike, especially since even that stopped working... It really sucks when you are out riding, 2 hours from home, stop to go to bathroom, try to start bike, nothing...

You didn't jump your bike with a car running by chance did you? If so, you probably wrecked the cells in your battery just like me...

11.46 ET @ 122.74mph (first time at strip)
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 01:39 PM
Knee Dragger

I have the same problem.....maybe caused I jumped the bike with my car but when I got home I hooked it up to my Sears charger...it has 6 and 12 volt options with deep trickle cycle and regular and as well as 2 amp or 10 amp...

My bike will crank but will not fire up.....any possible reasons why? everything else is fine on the bike just won't fire....and I smell gasoline when I crank it.

on the battery charger...I have it on 12 volt 10 amp deep trickle cycle.

hope I get some resolution to this....I haven't ridden my bike in 4 months and this is what happens
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Hey guys, I have since replaced my rectifier with an 05 model. They are indeed very different. But even now, I can tell that if the engine has been running for a while, it struggles to turn over on a hot start. I've even started riding without my high beam on, but still the problem persists. I'm thinking it may be the starter.

I'm pretty sure the battery on my bike is fine. Whenever I start the bike cold, it cranks over strong. But if I'm running errands, each subsequent start is weaker than the one before it.

Question is, will replacing the starter actually fix the problem? Or will it simply be a band-aid, with the hot-start dilema biding its time to rear its ugly head again? As far as I can tell, the starter for 03-05 model years are the same. What makes the newer models immune to this problem? Is there extra heat shielding? Does someone know for sure?

Last edited by Butters; 02-11-2006 at 06:57 PM.
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Hello? Anyone?
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-13-2006, 04:54 AM
Moto GP Racer

a battery is easier to replace and prolly a decent amount cheaper. batteries will also take a hit when they are warm, as they will get where they are located on the RR. if it's got a dead cell, it may be fine when cold, but starts to show as it warms up.

the only problem, is any of the 3 (R/R, starter/battery) will cause these symptoms from time-to-time. and jumping the bike from a running car can cause both the R/R and battery to be flaky. as well as excessive crankin can hurt the starter. i'd pull the battery and have it checked just to make sure. if your battery is fine. then your only culprit left is the starter.

Just for the record, i've had my 03 since it was new and have had no electrical problems with it to date.

Last edited by Ceph; 02-13-2006 at 05:01 AM.
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Moebiius: You should only charge your battery on the 2 amp setting... the 10 amp setting is too much for our batteries...

11.46 ET @ 122.74mph (first time at strip)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page