Motor will not start 03' PLEASE HELP - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Motor will not start 03' PLEASE HELP

I have a 03 motor in a custom frame that won' start. I have started the motor in the past 45days, and rode the bike before disassembly over the summer. The fuel injection/ pump is not working currently. All the fuses and relay have been checked (20a, 30a). I have attempted to bypass the BAS by joining the two nongreen wires (is this correct?). The last time I started the motor the fuel pump primed it drained A LOT of power, it took the battery charger to about 50% each time. With a new battery and everything works, lights, horn and the starter is strong. No love from the fuel system. The last time the motor ran the BAS was connected, now the light have been removed. I only bypassed the BAS while trouble shooting.
Two point of interest
1. The wires from the fuel pump are not the same color as the wires coming from the main harness. Is this correct?
2. What is the dark red four point plug (female connection) coming from the positive battery connection. I followed this to the fuel rail area on the left side on the airbox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2005, 10:46 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
#1 will have to wait til i get home and can look at my FSM.
#2 is what's called a "dead plug" it's the diagnostic port.

as far as the BAS, it should be the 2 outside wires that need to be jumped. i forget their color offhand.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

I check the BAS bypass, it was done incorrectly. After connecting the red/white and green wires the bike still will not fire. One of the relays clicks everytime the ignition kill button is turn from off to on, so I switched them around again. I have tried the turn on- off - on to reset the BAS. Still no fire.
- fresh battery
- all other controls work
- starter turns strong
- unpluged/plug are connection

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Moto GP Racer

if you have it bypassed, there's no need to reset the BAS. it it was jumper'd wrong at any time, it prolly blew the fuse. can you hear the fuel pump prime itself when the key is turned on?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 07:48 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragcustoms
I check the BAS bypass, it was done incorrectly. After connecting the red/white and green wires the bike still will not fire. One of the relays clicks everytime the ignition kill button is turn from off to on, so I switched them around again. I have tried the turn on- off - on to reset the BAS. Still no fire.
- fresh battery
- all other controls work
- starter turns strong
- unpluged/plug are connection
One of the relays clicks everytime the ignition kill button is turn from off to on,
MR WATTS
that clicking means the fuse is toast is that a correct statement or not

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 08:03 PM
Moto GP Racer

if it's just clicking, and you can not hear the fuel pump prime... that is correct.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

When the key is turned the headlight turn on, the gauges light up, neutral light on, and the starter will turn over, (high beams, horn work/ tach and speedo are toast and have been since I got the motor). The fuel pump does not prime now, it did about 30 45 days about and ran. If the power is on, and the kill button is turned off-on you can hear one of the three relays click "ONCE". It sounds like the starter solenoid on a dead battery but a much weaker sound. I switch the relays around and that did not work, I found four, three together and one in the front cowl. The yellow 20a and green 30a fuses are fine and are getting power pass the fuse (tested with light). Any other ideas or time to take it by Honda?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

i hate to say it, but it sounds like your fuel pump is toast.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

How can you test the fuel pump? No power is coming from the wire harness to the fuel pump when tested with a light guage. Three lines go to the fuel pump how can it be hot wired directly to a power source? I would hate to buy a fuel pump and still get not power from the connection.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page