Another Bike won't start thread - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Bike won't start thread

OK here is the scene. I have a 2005 tribal RR I rode my bike up until the end of december this year. at that point a few days after x-mas I hooked it up to my battery tender and proceeded to remove all of the bodywork including the nose and bring it into my basement so i could clean and wax all the fairings so next year i would be good to go. Well the weather in the north east has been pretty nice so yeaterday i decided to atleast put the nose back on so i could begin to install my frame sliders.... as you know the side fairings have to bolt up to the nose so you can cut the holes....but i digress.... Before I installed the nose which had EVERYTHING still attached to it lights, BAS etc. i turned it upside down to get out a few stones that we logged between the air ducts and the nose itself...... So i begin to put the nose on making sure that ALL plugs are connected properly. i turn the key on and everything lights up as it should. now i begin to try and crank the bike over and it will not start..... battery has a full charge on it as the battery tender has been on for 3 weeks now..... it sounds like it wants to kick over but it won't i used the method in the owners manual incase it got flooded but it still won't go.

I have two questions... i turned the nose over completely while it was off the bike..... would that affect the BAS?
Also I don't have the tail on which means brake light is not connected.....does that make a difference.....

any help would be appreciated as usual....
Sorry about the spelling and or punctuation.....my baby won't start :(

Thanks
Mike
2ndtime

2005 Tribal
Jardine RT-1 Race baffle
DIY fender eliminator
Scorpio SR-i500 two-way system
OES Frame Sliders
OES Swingarm Spools
Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's
Painted Gloss Black stock rims
Rim Tape with CBR logo
Puig Double Bubble Black

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...ailedimage.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 08:53 AM

The light not being plugged in won't make a difference so long as there isn't a short somewhere (track bikes usually just have a bunch of stuff unplugged.) The BAS might have been switched but should re-set (I removed mine and shorted the wires). I'd check to make sure that the cluster gauge is securely plugged in and keep trying to turn it over. When I don't run my bike for a few weeks or months usually roll starting it works but it is common, at least for me, to have a hard time turning over the bike after a while, especially when there are temperature changes. Also, some (but not many to my knowledge) battery tendors constantly cycle the battery meaning that you might catch it mid-cycle (typically only with only marine chargers.) I wish I could help you out more man... Sucks not being able to ride so good luck.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Is the FI priming?
If not I would say it the BAS... and its on the headlight unit and the upper fairing..

Just double check everything,
I know you said you connected everything alright.. BUT just look over everything again...

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
i agree with alpine if you do not hear the fuel pump as soon as you turn the key on
then the bank angel sensor is not hooked up correctley

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thumbs up got it started

I went home lunch time and looked over everything again...... I tried to fire it up and still nothing..... but it did sound like it wanted to kick over....and even yesterday also but i figured it was flooded and i would let it sit....

So i think i read here this morning by Ceph (spelling might be wrong) in another thread that you have to hold the throttle wide open if in fact it might be flooded. I did than and when i released it it tried to kick over.... sounded like a cold car in the AM... i did that 4 or 5 times and finally when i released it the last time i was able to modulate the throttle quick enough to get it started.... it was only 5 seconds after that i released the throttle and it ran at idle on it own like my baby knows best :)

Thanks for everyone who offered advice this morning..... now i just have to wait for the rain to dry here in the NE to ride my baby a bit.

P.S. any reasons why it may have been so hard to start... It's been only 3 weeks since i started her last.

Thanks
2ndtime
Mike

2005 Tribal
Jardine RT-1 Race baffle
DIY fender eliminator
Scorpio SR-i500 two-way system
OES Frame Sliders
OES Swingarm Spools
Michelin Pilot Power 2ct's
Painted Gloss Black stock rims
Rim Tape with CBR logo
Puig Double Bubble Black

http://www.detailedimage.com/wax.php...ailedimage.com
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I never ever had a problem starting mine, even when getting back from a deployment.. that was 3 months... or soo

Glad to hear you got it started..
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:50 PM

Kinda sounds like your plugs might be fouled. Did you start the bike when it was cold outside and turn it off before letting it warm up completely?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 02:57 PM
afb
Pocketbike Racer

i had trouble w/ mine this weekend. got a little lazy and didn't buy fuel stabilizer...so it sat in a somewhat cold garage for about a month w/ half a tank. anyway...it sounded the same as yours (wanting to start, but just not catching).

so my friend came over and suggested hooking it up to my car battery. while my friend revved the piss out of my car, i kept trying for over an hour. took a lot of tries, but it finally did start.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 04:49 PM

I've had that problem twice, once when it was practically new and the second time after sitting for a winter.
Both times I had to work the throttle to get the bike to start.
The first time I was like freak'n.
Gald you got the bike going.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 06:16 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Check the tilt sensor and make sure it's in Neutral.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 01:25 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Did you stabalize the gas? Could just have been bad gas, or just took a while to get going...if its running now I wouldnt worry bout it.

1993 CBR F2 - 95 F3 Motor - 98 carbs - Stage 1 Jet Kit - 520 Chain/Sprockets -1/+3 - 2005 1000rr front end - 2005 GSXR 750 Clipons and controls - 2005 GSXR 750 Tail section - Custom subframe - 2003 600RR Swingarm, suspension, and rear wheel - 2001 f4i gauges - HID lighting - Under engine dual exit exhaust - Super streetfightering it now....
View Swingarm and Gauges how to's here: http://www.fotki.com/cbrf23

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 05:15 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if you tripped the BAS, that's prolly the original reason it wouldn't start. in the prcess of fidgeting with it you prolly reset the BAS, after it flooded out.

i've gotten in the habit of flipping the kill switch off then on, every time i start mine, just to be on the safe side.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 05:30 PM

How do you reset the BAS?
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
toggling the kill switch on the right.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 09:59 PM

ya I looked at it and i had it upside down.. i wrecked and when i put it back on it was upside down.. :( i suck... thanks for the help

sorry for the thread jack!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page