Header stud problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Header stud problem

I took my header off the other night to try to modify it and the slip on to fit better. Well, one of the nuts took some effort to come off. I just figured since it was the last one that there was some force pushing against it. Well, come to find out it along with the stud was stripped from the factory. When I went to the dealership, apparently this is a common problem, so my question is, has anyone else had this problem. If so, what did you do to get the stud out of the head, b/c I've literally tried everything except drilling it out, and it won't even turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:50 AM

if you have it off (the whole stud out of the block) then why does it matter if you get the nut off of the stud since they are both stripped and therefore garbage anyway? buy a new one. i wouldnt doubt it if the dealership had somethin to do with this during assembly/inspection
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:53 AM

i had 2 nuts MISSING from my studs. possibly after a visit from the dealer. those bastards.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I have the nut off, the stud is still in the head, and not coming out. On the same tube,the other nut came off with the stud still in it. I'm not sure if it's coincidence or what, but it's irritating, b/c I couldn't get the nut and stud split from eachother either. It is apparently stripped inside the head. I've already bought all the replacement nuts and studs, and would have already had it back up and running. Being that the parts guy said this happens often, I'm wondering if warranty would cover getting it out. I'm sure it's debatable either way, but if I can't get it out, I'll have to look into it. Why can't they just use grade 8 bolts? So much easier.

Last edited by SPR SLO; 01-29-2006 at 02:36 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 01:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

A familair story. When I swapped my pipe the same thing happened, nut cross-threaded onto the stud from the factory so the nut and stud came out of the head. We put the stud in a vice and eventually got the nut off but the thread was shafted in the nut and on the stud.

Getting a damaged stud out of the head can be tricky - one trick to try is to lock 2 nuts onto the stud if the thread will take it, and try winding the stud out. Problem with the RR studs is they use a 7mm thread and finding nuts that thread is very hard. The header nuts are 7mm but are too deep to get 2 nuts onto the stud. You could cut one or 2 of them shorter to get them onto the stud then replace them. They will do for locking onto the new stud to get it into the head the same way the duff one might come out. If the stud thread is fooked you can maybe try getting a pair of vice grips locked onto it and see if it will loosen that way. You may have to take the radiator off to get better access.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 02:03 PM

a little thing called a "stud remover" would come in handy lol. i thought you meant the stud came out of the head but not off of the nut. you better just hope the threads in the head aren't stripped

p.s. stud remover can be found at sears. its a circular tool with teeth that grip the stud and a place for a ratchet to attach. or just ask them for it and they'll get it.

Last edited by potate311; 01-29-2006 at 02:05 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2006, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

I tried vise grips for 5 hours yesterday. I'll go look into the stud remover at Sears, thanks Potate. I've had bolts stick before, and with some heating or wd 40 and vise grips, eventually they've come out, but this one won't even budge. I tried again for 3 hours today, and no movement at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page