trouble with revs ( bad fuel pump ) - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-09-2006, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trouble with revs ( bad fuel pump )

so over the past few months i've been having problems with my bike. here's the situation, if i snap the throttle in any gear and watch the revs climb, they do so smoothly up until 10k (give or take 1000) then the engine bogs and begins to loose its revs and slow down every so slowly. if i back off the throttle the engine 's revs will slowly climb again..or just keep a constant speed.

now, anything under 10k, the bike responds as it normally would.

the bike has around 36,000kms on the odometer.
i just replaced the plugs and air filter, checked all the hoses under the tank and everything is kosher.

i brought it down to honda, we pluged the bike into a diagnostic machine and no errors came up.

can anyone think of something that could be causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

just to fill people in on this problem, i was able to resolve it by getting a new fuel pump.

somehow the original one wasn't shooting enough fuel, which i diagnosed by doing a fuel flow test.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 11:47 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Did you installed the pressure guage and test drive the bike while reading the fuel pressure when the problem occured? what was the reading and at what rpm's did it mess up? Im having the same problem with mine. How much was the fuel pump? Mine will actually die after getting on it hard and letting off the throttle fast. It will start to miss if i roll the throttle off easy.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

well here's another update. i thought swapping the fuel pump solved it, but i was wrong. the issue still exists.

actually my bike never dies when i'm riding it. if i open the throttle half way the revs will slowly climb past 10k. however if in any gear, i open the throttle all the way, it revs to 10k and bogs around there...

oh niko, i got the fuel pump from a local seller that had parts off a race bike.

F U Q! i need help asap.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 07:37 AM

:[ ....

I think when the bike hits the secondary injectors the bike start to act up like its laking fuel? Now thats what my bike feels like. I am still messing with the bike to see if i can figure it out. Let me know if you find whats wrong with it and i'll do the same. Thanks
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 07:17 PM

m/f battery........

Hey I finaly got my bike fixed. It was the Battery. The battery that i have its the original and it test fine and holds charge with no problem but when its under load voltage it gives out. It probably has a dead cell in there. I replaced my battery and went to the high way to test drive and it didnt skip a bit or died or anything. Try that. do you have a power commander on your bike? I have one on mine and i had taken it out to see if it was that and i guess i will have to put it back on. I had called tech line for power commander and they dodnt have a problem with them. they say to check for connectors, rust on injector plugs, ground all the connectora on the PC unit. Hope you get your bike rinning right. One more thing. I did find a crack on one of the 4 hoses that goes from the map sensor to the sincronizers at the throttle bodies. Repair the small leak and idles a lot better. I did see that after i test drove the bike for the hessitation.

Last edited by NIKO; 03-01-2006 at 11:45 PM.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 12:12 AM

Problem was with the power commander and part of it was the battery on my bike. If I had to do it again I would have started by disconnecting the power commander and test driving it first them if it still was messing up i would have installed a new battery and leaving the PC off the bike. If it all quit by doing all of that i would install the PC back on and re test driving it making sure that i was the PC making all of the problem. Well i will have to send the PC back to them and see if they can repair the problem.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 01:17 AM

do you think this could be related to my problem? when i had the tranny work done they said the batt wasnt holding a charge and replaced it but it seemed fine to me...that was about a year ago now it does go dead alot when it sits for more than a day but i got a batt tender https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=43103
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

well...my update.
i dont have a PC, so that cant be an issue. Something i did notice is when the problem is occuring, i can replicate it even if the bike is not moving. ie/ the bike will be warm and idling, then i'll snap the throttle fully open, it'll bog a second or two, then climb in revs. Im starting to think that it's something to do with the fuel delivery, such that the bike is running too rich and floods it, hence the lag.

The problem is becoming impossible to diagnose because of its irregularity.

i ripped the bike apart, checked ALL my injectors, primary and secondary, all was good and clean. checked lines, wires...etc..all good again.

i'm going to check the battery today. i cant believe if this solves the problem. i'll be vexed!!!!

something i did notice when i took apart my airbox is i have little sticky area's of oil that must be coming out by the intake stacks.... normal on everyones 03 600rr? Can someone tell me how to diagnose a 'rich' mixture, or how to adjust it?

Last edited by dennislo.com; 03-13-2006 at 04:10 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislo.com

something i did notice when i took apart my airbox is i have little sticky area's of oil that must be coming out by the intake stacks.... normal on everyones 03 600rr? ?
well i dont have a 03 but a 04,and i had oil too not alot but some spots. i as well asked here and they dont me it was normal to have so stops of oil. so yeah
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 10:00 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Even though you say you swapped the fuel pump with a used one the symptoms you're describing still say you have a fuel starvation problem. (i.e. low fuel pressure) You need to hook the pressure gauge up and see what the pressure is running. You could also have a bad pressure regulator. Have you checked the screen inside the tank? Make sure it's not clogged. Have you ran a fresh tank of gas through it?

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
Even though you say you swapped the fuel pump with a used one the symptoms you're describing still say you have a fuel starvation problem. (i.e. low fuel pressure) You need to hook the pressure gauge up and see what the pressure is running. You could also have a bad pressure regulator. Have you checked the screen inside the tank? Make sure it's not clogged. Have you ran a fresh tank of gas through it?
Yes i checked the pressure and flow of the old fuel pump, which was defective, and replaced it with this used one, which after the test showed it was working to spec.

Where's the pressure regulator? How can i check it?

which screen inside the tank? when i took out the fuel pump, the tank was just a big bucket.

since diagnosing this problem last november, i've done about 3000km, with many new tanks of gas. the problem is sometimes there, other times not.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennislo.com
Yes i checked the pressure and flow of the old fuel pump, which was defective, and replaced it with this used one, which after the test showed it was working to spec.

Where's the pressure regulator? How can i check it?

which screen inside the tank? when i took out the fuel pump, the tank was just a big bucket.

since diagnosing this problem last november, i've done about 3000km, with many new tanks of gas. the problem is sometimes there, other times not.
Here you go..

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Mine just started doing the same thing...smells rich. Any new ideas?
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 09:49 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by doofiep007
Mine just started doing the same thing...smells rich. Any new ideas?
Be more specific. Have you gone through all of these suggestions? "Smells rich" sounds like a different problem.

post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 06:17 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Ok, I dont want to say mine is doing the same but I do get a surging feel when I attempt to quickly accelerate from any gear above 9k rpm. I can power thru it to 13k but there is an almost bucking feeling. It started late last year and i actually thought that it was the bald worn out tire on the rear. The closet description I can give is if a tire looses grip and then regains its. that jerky motion. Any ideas?
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 07:59 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I swapped the ECM from my track bike and it's doing the same thing...surging/bogging at/after 10k rpm...swapped the battery too. Pressure guage on the fuel rail will be done on sunday. Runs great until I hit 10k
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 12:50 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Anybody figure it out yet?
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:37 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Is the MIL indicator light on and the FI light in the cluster when riding? If those indicators are on the bike is showing that it has a problem and will go into a "safe mode" so that the bike still runs but not properly. I had this recently when my speed sensor was disconnected and basically as I hit turn one out of pits the light would come on and the bike would run like crap (jerking between 9 and 10K and then again between 13 & 14K and after that no power at all). Fixed the problem and the bike ran like a charm afterwards.

'04 Candy Blue CBR 600RR
Yoshi RS5 Full System
BMC Air Filter
PCIII usb
Arrow rearsets
Renthal 14/46 sprockets with 520 chain
Emission system fully removed
APR Racing brake pads
A few other minor mods that I can't remember now.

"Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die"
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 02:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

No MIL... runs great until 10k...goes away after about 15 minutes of riding
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Knee Dragger

mines just starting doing this also...its either not getting enough fuel or an exhaust flow problem,im a car mechanic,and it acts likes a car with a clogged catalytic converter....but im gonna start with the fuel system...

Black 2005 600rr
Custom painted by me
Yoshimura CF rs-5
Led running light
Clear alternatives rear tail light
Race glass
-1 renthal front, + 1 rear renthal
DID 525
Vortex Rear sets
Puig smoke screen
PC3
Shogun Sliders
Next
Suspension,Suspension,Suspension...
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 09:09 PM

Hey Guys I had this very same problem I have an 03rr, the bike would pull hard till 10k and start to fart and what not just like hitting the rev limiter. well the dealership tryed a new ecm, nothing. they replaced the pump with a new one they were told by honda to use a different pump and the bike has been fine for a year with no problems. wow i thought i was the only one with that problem

Marco
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 09:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
So everyone on this list should check thier fuel pressure first. Put it on the dyno and run it to 10-12k rpm.

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marczing
Hey Guys I had this very same problem I have an 03rr, the bike would pull hard till 10k and start to fart and what not just like hitting the rev limiter. well the dealership tryed a new ecm, nothing. they replaced the pump with a new one they were told by honda to use a different pump and the bike has been fine for a year with no problems. wow i thought i was the only one with that problem

Marco
Marco did you have to pay for the repair or was it a warranty item?
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-19-2006, 12:54 AM
Knee Dragger

Mine "05 600rr" was recently doing this badly.falling flat on its face at 10 grands and surging about 10k. i took it in and they tested the fuel pump,and said it was working good, ordered me a new fuel pump anyways,and gave me the bike until the parts came in,well after i picked it up,it was working perfect.. its been good for the past week, hasn't done it once. so im guessing its a bad connection along the injectors, or something electrical in that area.. most likely some corrosion on the connectors,probably causing a little resistance...they didnt do anything except plug and unplug a few wires and check fuel flow..

Black 2005 600rr
Custom painted by me
Yoshimura CF rs-5
Led running light
Clear alternatives rear tail light
Race glass
-1 renthal front, + 1 rear renthal
DID 525
Vortex Rear sets
Puig smoke screen
PC3
Shogun Sliders
Next
Suspension,Suspension,Suspension...
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Ick
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I had a similar problem recently, but it wouldn't go up to 10k. It would feel like it was 'bogging'...like the fuel pump was sputtering. It turned out to be a bad battery (bike wouldn't start after a ride). The whole time I thought it was the fuel pump or the ignition (as the manual states to look for when bogging).
My problem was sporadic as well (only did it on ~1 hr rides).

'08 R6
'04 919
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

interesting.

so i haven't solved my problem, simply because it's totally intermittant. sometimes there, other times not. what i did notice recently is that after i start my bike, and rev it, i can see the lights dim/brighten. so i think there's something with the battery or r/r ? comments?
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 01:16 AM
Knee Dragger

have you checked your battery voltage? what is it like with the bike off? with it idling? revved to 5k?
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 12:27 AM
Training Wheel Hero

i'm having the same problem. 03 with 19,000 miles. did it a couple times last year. thought it was bad gas. a few weeks ago it started doing it more often. seems to be worse when it's really hot outside and when the bike is being ridden hard or both. i posted about it here...

https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=55998
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

it seems to be a problem with the TPS on my bike. trying to find a new sensor to test this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page