Stutter - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Stutter

Started school about an hour and a half away from home so I stay down there during the week and come home on the weekends to spend time with the wife and kids.

Went down last Sunday and uneventful ride. Bike ran well with no problems. Takes me right at a full tank per trip one way. So I fill up at the base there and head home last night. About 30 mins into the ride i start getting alot of hesitation. Felt like fuel starvation or a bad ground. I am really hoping i just got a bad tank of gas.

I limped her home and filled up at my normal station and goosed it a few times coming the last mile or so home and it didn't seem to do it anymore. I have to head back down tomorrow so if anyone can point me in any directions to check out I will be changing oil and maybe adjusting my chain today. Is there a fuel filter I should be replacing as well just to be safe?

I should add its an 04 with a power commander and aftermarket exhaust. I got the bike used in Oct with 14k miles.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 01:55 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
could be water in the fuel. a cup of methylated spirits in the next tank will help move the water out.
The Following User Says Thank You to youngy For This Useful Post:
In The Works (01-11-2014)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I wouldn't sweat it if it only misfired a few times. Most likely some crappy gas made it's way through.

Quote:
Harley-Davidson: The world's most efficient method of turning gasoline into noise without the harmful side effect of horsepower.
The Following User Says Thank You to LanCo Rider For This Useful Post:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well it was for about 45mins to an hour of my ride. I got a bottle of fuel injector cleaner from the local shop Startron Enzyme fuel treatment? http://www.cyclegear.com/CycleGear/P...FTDhQgodX0QA-A Gonna throw this in a tank and hope it cleans some stuff out. Doing an oil change because I don't know when the last owner did one. Also thinking about a coolant flush and replace with engine ice. I bought an aftermarket fuel filter but not sure where it should go. The only line I see from the tank to fuel rail looks like a high pressure one and not sure I should be cutting that to throw an inline filter in there or not. Gotta jump in the FSM to find out where the factory one is. Unfortunately filled the gas tank up last night. Other thing is I left it with almost an empty tank all week, and we have pretty dramatic temp swings here in So Cal. Any chances enough condensation built up in there in 4 days to cause this much of a problem?

Thanks for the inputs
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:21 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,056 Times in 860 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The filter is on the pump. You have to take it out of the tank to replace the filter
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
you do not want to be fitting an inline fuel filter.

meths = denatured alcohol. this will shift water far better than injector cleaner.
The Following User Says Thank You to youngy For This Useful Post:
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-11-2014, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
The filter is on the pump. You have to take it out of the tank to replace the filter

GARRRRRRRR looks like that is happening next time. It has a full gas tank right now!

Good thing...Found out it has a K&N Air Filter on it. Though I am now worried as it also has an aftermarket FMF Exhaust. It has a power commander V on it but I don't know if he ever had it tuned.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Seems to have worked itself out. Went for a test ride this morning before my long ride back to SD this afternoon. She did good. No hesitation at all, good smooth powerband! Now to find a map for an FMF exhaust for the PCV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page