Stock Bike Won't Start!? NEED HELP! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock Bike Won't Start!? NEED HELP!

As the title says, I've never washed my bike nor dropped it,
just left it in the garage (been about 3 months) Went to start it a week ago, and it fired up, and now it won't. Battery cranks like a champ, but it doesn't fire up....maybe the spark plugs are flooded? can that even be possible on a fuel injected bike? I read a few posts back, can it be the fuel pump? or even my gasoline turning to varnish? Please help me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:35 PM

when you turn the key on do you hear the pump kick on and prime ? if not thiers your problem but if it is dont just go changin the fuel pump could be a few other electrical things. thats just a place to start
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:39 PM

Could even be something as simple as a connection. I agree with above. I am sure you know thia as well, but don't go throwin' a bunch of cash at something that may be very simple. Been there, done that. I will certainly check into it for you.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
moebiius
let your bike sit for an hour or so get back it to it and try to start it
this time hold the throttle all the way while hitting he starter it will
start up give that a try and post back up

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-11-2006, 01:49 PM

You could have fuel in your plugs.
So try this. Turn it on and open throttle wide open whether it starts or not to let some fresh air in there to dry things out; then let off of the throttle shut it off and try to start it without givin' it any gas. If it starts, take it up to about 4000 RPMs until all of the plugs clear, running smooth. If that does not work put some plugs in it.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

don't understand how I can get fuel in my plugs but I guess its a possibility.

so what you're saying is that if I open the throttle without the engine being on....it means that there is no gas going into the ignition chambers? just air so that my plugs would air out and get dry? isn't this 2004 600rr fuel injected? sounds like you're giving me a fix for a carburated bike....no offense....but it sounds kinda weird.

all in all, I went down to local roadrider and picked up a 50 dollar battery tender and a new yuasa battery for 100 dollars, just trying my luck so that I can use the tender and see what happens with the battery....haven't installed the battery just yet...

please tell me if I over paid for the tender and the battery....that way i can feel good about spending the money that i don't have....

thanks for all your attention and helpful advice
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 04:34 AM
World Superbike Racer

Engine cut-off switch?

2005 BMW R1200GS
2005 Kawasaki KLR650
1971 Honda CL350
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 05:11 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the ECU on these bikes cuts ALL fuel delivery, when the throttle is held wide open when starting it. it's built that way on purpose to clear out a flooded bike. they are giving you sound advice.

and as always... make sure it is in neutral, kickstand is up. turn the key on, toggle the kill switch off, then back on. pull in the clutch and hit the starter.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Knee Dragger

do what they said, and ya you over paid on both of them
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 12:29 PM
Brown at your service

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
you give them advice, they go and do what you say not to do. What's the point.

"For me, the problem is that big part of MotoGP riders now are pussies,"Rossi declared. "In the past, this is normal, the riders were more like real men. Now it is more like they are children."

http://www.youtube.com/user/bobbybrown3022
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 12:47 PM

This is a classic flooded engine, hold the throttle wide open and start your bike. Next time you want to start the bike to check up on it during the off season, let it warm up more instead of starting the bike and only letting it run for a min our so. The autochoke causes many EFI bike to flood if you don't let the bike warm up enough.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

okay...so firstly, where can I get these items cheaper?
second, I hooked up the tender since yesterday morning...opened the throttle after the kill switch was turned back on and cranked her....still didn't start and the battery pretty much went dead after two tries....now is that normal? still haven't used the brand new battery yet...should I just use it and try it out and see if it is the battery? I daresay that I don't need to use the new battery if the tender was charging all night.....don't know..

thanks for all the help guys!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 05:29 PM

Not sure where you are but I live in Canada and I just bought a tender the other day for $40 CDN and a new battery last year for about $80 CND.

A fully charged battery should deffinately last longer then 2 attempted starts. Depending on the tender, mine charged my nearly dead battery which didn't have enough juice to even turn her over in about 1 hour. I would say you are going to need a new battery if it only lasted 2 cranks.

Start the bike with the throttle wide open once, let it sit for a couple min do the same thing again, you may have to do this a couple of time depending on how flooded the engien is but then start it normally without even touching the throttle.

You may have to take the plugs out to make sure that they are dry and actually have a gap in them.

Last edited by beung; 02-21-2006 at 05:31 PM.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

it was a crappy battery so I installed the new battery last night....left the tender on it just in case. It almost started earlier kinda half choking....but not firing..

i smell gas and hear the fuel pump on initial kill switch flip.

should I crack open the spark plugs and check them out?

Last edited by moebiius; 02-23-2006 at 02:27 PM.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 04:11 PM

If you smell gas chances are its still flooded.

Take the plugs out and check that they are fine.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 04:48 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

MY BABY LIVES AGAIN!!!!

THANKS for all the help guys!!!! This has happened before and when she started she choked a little bit but I played and rolled the throttle and she choked and fired right up...wonder why that would happen....if the kill switch is off then wouldn't the gas stop? Is my bike running a bit rich? is that why?

again, thanks for all the help!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 05:21 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
if the kill switch is off, the ignition won't fire. i'm pretty sure it can still get fuel.

glad to hear she's runnin again though.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2006, 02:41 PM

I think the kill switch shuts the fuel pump off, I don't think the bike will even crank if the kill switch is set to stop. When you flick the kill switch to run from the stop position you will here the fuel pump prime up I believe.

Just remember to let the bike warm up or else this will happen again. The bike has an autochoke which helps warm the bike up when you first start it. If you shut the bike off too early the choke is still giving extra fuel which will flood the engine. They say to use the kill switch to stop the bike from running bacause if you just use the key to turn the bike off the fuel pump could still be going for a split sec after the bike loses power. They also say that turning the bike off with the key may cause electrical problems.

Just go for a good 20 min cruise at let the bike "stretch" and tell her you're sorry.

Last edited by beung; 02-24-2006 at 02:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page