600RR ABS Wont start after storage - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
600RR ABS Wont start after storage

Sup guys, I've been away for some time. I have a situation and would like some assistance.

I stored my bike away for about 2 months, I didn't put in any fuel stabilizer (was really cold during the 2 months) Now when I go over to start it and hit the ignition all i get is a buzzing noise (near the battery) shortly after that my ABS light starts blinking.

Any idea what it could be? I hope it's nothing major.. I check the battery with a meter it's sitting at 12.8 V so that's not an issue. The other question I had was do you think it's possible to jump start it? I haven't had a chance to do that as it's still really cold out and planning to try it later on...and finally if i do get it going with a jump start will there be any type of internal damage?

*EDIT* bike year is 2009 if that helps at all

Thanks!

My build thread: =>Here<=
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 02:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The only way I recommend jump starting it, is by having someone give it a push while you let the clutch out. I heard it's best to be in 2nd gear while do it, as it's easier to jump start it.

Try putting it on a battery tender in the meantime if you got one.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-nyc View Post
The only way I recommend jump starting it, is by having someone give it a push while you let the clutch out. I heard it's best to be in 2nd gear while do it, as it's easier to jump start it.

Try putting it on a battery tender in the meantime if you got one.
Thanks yeah, i've jump started previous bikes on gear 2 it seems to work the best. As for the battery it's been on a tender so that's why it's still good :)

My build thread: =>Here<=

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:26 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuKo View Post
Thanks yeah, i've jump started previous bikes on gear 2 it seems to work the best. As for the battery it's been on a tender so that's why it's still good :)
Tender or not pretty sure your battery is screwed. If it's an 09 on the OE battery you're looking at a battery built in mid 08' it's now '14, you do the math. Leaving batteries on a tender all the time in my experience kills them sooner than removal and charging in the fall and spring.

Unless your engine is seized it should have enough juice to turn it over and it doesn't. A better test isn't sitting voltage but instead what it is while cranking; my guess is it's lower than 11 and you have a bad cell.

Mike
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
sounds like a dead battery to me. A charged battery should have 13.0-13.2 volts. An undercharged battery will have 12.8v or less (not pulling this out of my ass, it's right in the service manual) Stick it on a charger or go have it load tested

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2014, 03:20 AM
Knee Dragger

It's your battery. I also have an '09 ABS, and it's running fine - but my 300 wasn't, and pulled the same thing on me today when I was trying to sell it. That buzzing noise is really ****ing annoying, but also can't be confused with anything else, so at least you know what the problem is right away.

Took it to a shop, had it tested - voltage was fine, amperage was not. Had to replace the battery. My prior experience is that even if you get it to start at this point, it may not hold a charge and you'll be stranded somewhere when you go to start it up again to head home (as is what happened to me). Best to just replace it entirely. Save yourself the headache and hassle.

And next time you plan on letting it sit for that long, disconnect it and bring it inside to be stored at room temperature until you're ready to ride again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page