The mysterious "Burning" Smell - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The mysterious "Burning" Smell

Alright I get this burnt smelling smell from the front area of my bike...
First I thought I had a oil leak... looked around.. nothing... bad oil? Changed the oil nothing... leaks from seals.... nothing... coolant? full... so i assume its just a natural smell?
Its not there 24/7 just really during start ups etc etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Lifetime Premium

did oil get spilled on the exhaust headers when changing?
I haven't looked in the RR but thats happened on my F4i but it goes away before too long.
other than that I've got no clue, good luck w/ it

WERA/NESBA #409
My Sponsors: Southern Gasket & Supply, LeoVince, Vortex, Chicken Hawk Racing, Pro-Tek, RK Racing Chains
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 05:55 PM

yeah somethin is on your headers. but it seems like it would burn off and not keep smellin.... or smell all the time

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:23 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by potate311
yeah somethin is on your headers. but it seems like it would burn off and not keep smellin.... or smell all the time
+1 on that

"You motorboating son-of-a-bitch!"
http://www.myspace.com/thegovernor
http://www.teamosg.com
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 59 reviews
i would say if you still have the warn. run it till its broke...JK ... but i bet you just got some oil on the headers and its burning off

Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience
Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

yeh I agree with you all 100% on that... and that sounds like the REAL LIKELY source... but the oil was changed like 1000 miles ago. Im not sure what it is but I just thought you all might have experienced it at some time... I want to SAY it is when I ride real hard then come to a rest, but that's speculation and could be just me worring too much about my stess on the bike at that time.
But I guess it's just me...
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

wait... unless it take a while for it to burn off... then that makes sense!!!!
Say yes and I'dd be HAPPY! [:)]
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:38 PM
World Superbike Racer

if you dont clean it off before it burns off and it is alot, the smell will tend to stay for a while.

"You motorboating son-of-a-bitch!"
http://www.myspace.com/thegovernor
http://www.teamosg.com
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 06:43 PM

ok i thought you said it stopped after the bike was hot.... now it seems like you mean when you come to a stop you can smell it again.... makes sense cause you wont smell it while you are moving since it is blowing. youve got somethin on your headers. does it smell like oil or something else?

anyway... if its just a film of oil then it will burn off and be fine. if its like a big chunk of somethin the blew onto em like tar or plastic or somethin you want to get it off before it fudges up your headers. or just go buy a full arata!!! :01_thumbu

Last edited by potate311; 02-14-2006 at 06:47 PM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:00 PM

Hey every one im new just browsing through. I wanted to wait till i get my rr next month to post but i think i have the answer. Its sounds like its your brakes. When you break hard and your brakes get real hot and smoke it smells like somthing burning.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
can you tell us what kind of smell ie overheating smell( coolant leak ) plastic burning ( loose wire or picked something off the road such as a shopping plastic bag that got wedged in the headers ) oil burning ( dirty headers ) also as soon as you smell it stop and start looking around i am sure you will be able to find the source best of luck

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartini
Hey every one im new just browsing through. I wanted to wait till i get my rr next month to post but i think i have the answer. Its sounds like its your brakes. When you break hard and your brakes get real hot and smoke it smells like somthing burning.
He said it was mostly at start up so the brakes haven't been used yet.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 06:39 PM

I get a funny smell too... It happens after warm up, when it is wet out. Smells like hot plastic! Took a peek and all is where it should be. Again, it only smells like hot plastic when the road is wet and the engine is up to normal running temp. My guess is the steam coming off the pipes is the culprit. I'd actually be worried if it smelled like burning plastic! My advice is if the bugger catches fire... get off!
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
jic

this has always bothered me also.
i live in the norcal area so its dry and i never take my bike out in the rain.
but everytime when the bike gets warmed up after 10-15 mins of riding, the burning smell of plastic? comes up when i pull to a stop? sometimes its there, sometimes its not.
checked oil, coolant, brakes, all seem to check out fine... and the bike rides perfectly fine also.
just curious wtf it is lol
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Watch out Vale Xavier Alexander is coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by jic View Post
this has always bothered me also.
i live in the norcal area so its dry and i never take my bike out in the rain.
but everytime when the bike gets warmed up after 10-15 mins of riding, the burning smell of plastic? comes up when i pull to a stop? sometimes its there, sometimes its not.
checked oil, coolant, brakes, all seem to check out fine... and the bike rides perfectly fine also.
just curious wtf it is lol
Same here....I don't know what it is...but my 06 has 12k on it and it still does it. It might just be the desert sand...but even after I did a deep clean on my bike it still smelled like it.....but only on start up from being cold...and occasionally at a stop.

post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
jic

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterthegreat View Post
Same here....I don't know what it is...but my 06 has 12k on it and it still does it. It might just be the desert sand...but even after I did a deep clean on my bike it still smelled like it.....but only on start up from being cold...and occasionally at a stop.
yeah, i smell it at random stops, makes me look dumb sniffing around the front of my bike at the stop.lol
and the worst is, once i shut off the motor and try to look for where the smell is coming from, its gone.
damn bike!!
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 10:30 PM
JMO
Jack Daniels is my bff

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jic View Post
yeah, i smell it at random stops, makes me look dumb sniffing around the front of my bike at the stop.lol
and the worst is, once i shut off the motor and try to look for where the smell is coming from, its gone.
damn bike!!
Lol...same here. I have an 06 and sometimes out of the blue I'll smell something almost like burning, and Ill sit at the light and sniff as hard as I can all around my bike trying to see what it is lol. Later check my bike and all is fine, weird

post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-13-2007, 11:47 PM

I would say it's the exhaust leaking or something. Try to get to the bottom of it or it may spell disaster.
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 AM
Hitz eit from z back

try to see if the smell is coming from the ram air tubes at the front of the bike. I'm all most 100% sure on what it could be if that where the smell is from, And its not what you think ether.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 09:17 AM

Wow, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this mysterious smell... But, yea, I just got an 07. It has less than 2000 miles on it. I got caught in heavy rain with it for the first time the other night. When I got home there was alot of steam; looked like it was coming from the radiator area... and then came the smell. Smell is exactly like that of wire insulation being melted, but it's a brand new bike, and after closer inspection all my wires up there are nice and tidy. Its only been 1 day since then and the smell is practically non existent. I'm not too worried about it (I'm still under warranty)
post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rr Rider View Post
try to see if the smell is coming from the ram air tubes at the front of the bike. I'm all most 100% sure on what it could be if that where the smell is from, And its not what you think ether.
Well cumon man, don't keep it a secret. What do you think it could be. You've got me curious now. :toothy6:

Tar in the air ducts maybe? I found lots off little pebbles rattling around in mine when I put in new turn signals.

"It seemed like a good idea at the time."
post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 12:17 PM

Does anyone with this problem have aftermarket headers? Ive been told the diff angle of race headers sometimes chars the coolant bottle as the pipes are closer. I have this smell myself on occasion and dont have a clue what it is.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Check the heat shrink on the foot brake where the exhaust turns upward. I found the the heat shirnk was touching the exhaust on my bike.
post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
don't eat gassy food before you ride... heheh jp

04' Blue CBR 600RR
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Hitz eit from z back

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSaurus View Post
Well cumon man, don't keep it a secret. What do you think it could be. You've got me curious now. :toothy6:

Tar in the air ducts maybe? I found lots off little pebbles rattling around in mine when I put in new turn signals.
sorry I missed your post, I know its been a while but their happens to be a crank case breather in the front of the air box and some times you can smell oil coming from the ram air tubes. Thats what I meant by its not what you think, I saw that the first time I popped the air box lid off. A good amount of people do even know its their.

Last edited by 600rr Rider; 08-12-2007 at 08:45 PM.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-31-2008, 02:03 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Sorry to bring this old topic back but ya I noticed my bike smell pretty bad when I sniffed around the triple tree at warm up, even worse after a ride. It is definitely coming from the air ducts, especially from the right one (when on the bike). It doesn't really smell like oil burning but more like plastic or exhaust smell.
I did an air filter change like 3 months ago and there weren't any oil or major concerns in the airbox.
No smell coming from the oil filter area.

// ShraZ
F4i - Quick Maintenance
MSS - Review Your Gear
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:59 PM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightdevil View Post
Alright I get this burnt smelling smell from the front area of my bike...
First I thought I had a oil leak... looked around.. nothing... bad oil? Changed the oil nothing... leaks from seals.... nothing... coolant? full... so i assume its just a natural smell?
Its not there 24/7 just really during start ups etc etc
You know somethin', i got this for a while myself when the bike had low milage, and now, probably since mm 5,500, i don't get the smell anymore. maybe it's some braking in garbage, ya think? I never figured it out to be honest.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Knee Dragger

Did anybody consider that it's not your bike that smells, but something on the road or around you? I find that I encounter all kinda of odd smells riding the bike that I never noticed before when I drove a car all the time.
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 AM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaresev View Post
Did anybody consider that it's not your bike that smells, but something on the road or around you? I find that I encounter all kinda of odd smells riding the bike that I never noticed before when I drove a car all the time.
that's mostly from the car infront of u CO2

// ShraZ
F4i - Quick Maintenance
MSS - Review Your Gear
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:09 AM
Knightslugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaresev View Post
i kinda figured that is was... until i didn't smell it anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page