2004 600RR issues - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 600RR issues

Hello, all. I'm looking into buying this bike, I went to look at it last night and I'm wondering if anyone here can help me figure out what the problem with it may be before I decide to buy it.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/mcy/4322237762.html

As stated in the ad, it is low on power below 5k, and it has a slight engine stutter at idle where it will drop maybe 2-300 rpms at random intervals, usually between 2-10 seconds. It has also been known to stall out on the current owner from time to time. The bike was serviced not too long ago, and during said service, he had the piston plunger(?) replaced, as he was told that was a likely cause. It did fix the problem for a minute, but he said after a while, it started the rough idle again.

Now, I don't know jack about bike engines, which is why I'm coming here, and I know in the world of autos, these problem can be attributed to myriad reasons. I did a quick search on this site last night and found that slip-on exhausts can cause the idle issue, so I'm just wondering about the rest at this point, and if someone can give a more definitive answer on the idle than just "exhaust systems can cause that."

Thanks in advance. I'm hoping that this will be a fairly cheap fix, because for the price, this bike seems perfect for me, as it's one of the only bikes in the price range that actually runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 03:01 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I would say if you are not against a project, long or short, then offer him 2000 and he will probably settle on 2200. Things you could use to barter are obviously the problems stated in the add, and the need of an oil change soon.

The problem could be a variety of different things, very hard to pinpoint on sophisticated bikes imo. But I would definitely start (if you were to purchase) by getting the bike professionally tuned by a shop, if it even has a power commander. That could be your problem right there. Sometimes just a slip on will not interfere with the air intake and exhaust back pressure too much to need adjustment, but I would definitely start there.

Before buying you could ask the owner if there is, or has ever been, an oil light error code and ask what it was then look up what that particular code means. A 600rr for 2200 in this state is not a bad deal, I'm not saying you couldnt find better for just a little bit more budget. Like I said, if you are not opposed to a project, then go for it.

My personal opinion is to not touch bikes that have had the cases broken into and had anything done to the internals of the motor, unless it is something relatively simple like a clutch boss/friction plates replacement. However, he said he had all the work done at reputable dealers it sounds like, so thats a plus. Sounds like a good guy!

Good luck and Semper Gumby!

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=394793

Black And Gold!

Last edited by jacob92icu; 02-10-2014 at 03:07 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 04:14 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Based on how he described the problem I'm going out on a limb and saying the injectors need to be cleaned. Which could explain it running good over 5k rpm. You never know though I could be wrong.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 05:33 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Hint---> secondary injectors turn on at 5500 rpm

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well, the bike is gone now, so it's a moot point, but now that I know about these secondary injectors, should I have jumped on it for the asking price? I ended up offering him 2200 that night and he basically said if all his other deals fell through, that he would get back with me and do the deal for that price, but he ended up selling it for more later that week. I ended up buying a (so far) POS 2000 YZF600R for 1800 and I've been regretting it ever since. I haven't even gotten to ride it yet and that was 2 weeks ago today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page