I know there such as over tightening but is this it? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know there such as over tightening but is this it?

OK, so I replaced the rubber on my bike both front and back and the chain as well. Put the rear tire back on. I let it spin a few times and I thought I heard a rubbing sound and thought it was the chain because I didn't adjust it yet. So, I adjusted the chain put it back on and let it spin without tightening the tires all of the way and everything was fine. I tightened up the rear tire as much as I could (left a little leeway but still pretty tight) because I don't have a torque wrench anymore. Then I heard the "rubbing" noise again and followed it and it was actually the head of the allen bolts that bolt the rotors on grinding on the bracket that holds the rear breaks on. I then turned the bike off , put it in neutral and tried to turn the wheel myself and couldn't budge it. I then loosened the axel nut a little; still no rotation. Loosened it a little more; a little rotation but minimal grinding. Loosened it a little more and bam it worked just fine again. So, my question is, " Is this over tightening the axel bolt or is it something else"? Also, the front tire brake pads rub. I researched that a little bit is normal, but I can't even get a full rotation out of it. I took it off of the front bike stand and pushed it. A little grinding but wasn't really forcing it. Applied the front brakes it stopped. Released the brake and it rolled again with a little grinding. Propped it back on the front stand and again couldn't get more than a full rotation out of it. Do I need to bleed my breaks? Or is this ok? Thank you for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:09 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Is the rear wheel straight and did you put the spacers back in?

Bleeding brakes only removes air from the system.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Junkie View Post
Is the rear wheel straight and did you put the spacers back in?

Bleeding brakes only removes air from the system.

Yes, the rear wheel is straight. I checked it a few times and the reason I was thinking that I need to bleed the brakes is because when I researched the rubbing brake pads that what a few people recommended.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 08:48 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,057 Times in 861 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like you missed a spacer or installed the wheel incorrectly
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Sounds like you missed a spacer or installed the wheel incorrectly
What are these spacers you speak of? And are you talking about rear wheel? I didn't notice any spacers when I took the wheel of or anything out of place. That does make the most sense unless there is a such thing as over tightening it. Where are the spacers located? Actually I just looked and there is a small gap between the rear rotor and where the bracket that holds the rear brakes on is. It looks like a spacer might go there. Could someone please check to verify? Thanks Never had this problem before.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:56 AM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Definitely sounds like you're missing the rear spacers. You would remember if they were there because they are a PITA to keep in the rim while mounting the tire. I know there was someone here selling captive spacers that stay in the rim to make it easier. Your local Honda dealer probably keeps them in stock, shouldn't be more than $10-$20 (then again you never know with dealers!)

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

2010 Leyla
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Spacers, flat side goes away from the wheel

trying to upload a pic to show where it goes.

Edit:

"From the land of Pleasant Living"

Last edited by Baltimoron; 02-20-2014 at 09:37 AM.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:36 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
You should definitely read a manual on this man.... You're lucky you didn't ride it. And cross your fingers you didn't bend your swingarm
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks, that helps a ton. I will take a look at it tomorrow. I still don't remember taking them out. I guess they could have fallen out when I took it in to get the new tire put on. I'm not sure if it bent the swing arm. Can't really tell by just looking at it but it looked good to the naked eye. Not sure how much resistance or pressure that it takes to bend it but it really wasn't that much. I actually got bored and went out to take a look and I am definitely missing one spacer. I have one on the sprocket side but the one on the rotor side is missing. Will shop for one tomorrow. Thanks again guys and thanks for the advice. I'm pretty glad I joined this forum. And I plan on getting a manual soon.

Last edited by yomahomie03; 02-20-2014 at 09:26 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:06 PM
Knee Dragger

They always fall out. Just gotta pay attention no matter what. Something small can kill you.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedydave View Post
They always fall out. Just gotta pay attention no matter what. Something small can kill you.

True statement. I'm glad I caught it early(ish)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 09:30 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
The front wheel has little spacers too, but they are much easier to deal with. I would see if the front wheel spins freely without the calipers on first. If it does, reinstall the front wheel in the preferred order (search for the Front Wheel Removal in the How To section to see what the order is), then pump the brakes a few times and try again. You should always get some amount of dragging; I can usually just get one rotation out of mine with a small shove.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
The front wheel has little spacers too, but they are much easier to deal with. I would see if the front wheel spins freely without the calipers on first. If it does, reinstall the front wheel in the preferred order (search for the Front Wheel Removal in the How To section to see what the order is), then pump the brakes a few times and try again. You should always get some amount of dragging; I can usually just get one rotation out of mine with a small shove.
Thanks man. Will check that out
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Oh yeah, one more thing - the front wheel can be installed backward, which will make it cranky. Be sure the rotation marks on the wheel rotate in the correct direction.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingChance View Post
Oh yeah, one more thing - the front wheel can be installed backward, which will make it cranky. Be sure the rotation marks on the wheel rotate in the correct direction.
Thanks again man. I looked and bam.....its on backwards. I have been riding for like 5 years almost 6 and always paid or had someone tack care of the maintenance. I just thought someone who rides should at least know the basics. So, I thought why not start now and what better way to learn by doing. I'm still learning and keep the advice and tricks coming. Thanks guys.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 09:26 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Go back to the shop that changed the tires, the spacer is probably sitting right next to their balancer.

Mike
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So, it turned out to be the spacers. I put everything together and been riding it for 5 days now and everything seems to be fine. I actually found a service manual and owners manual to help me through the steps of maintenance. Just wanted to say thanks again guys.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Glad you got it sorted out. I've gotten into the habit of taking pictures as I disassemble to avoid headaches.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

2010 Leyla
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-treme1 View Post
Glad you got it sorted out. I've gotten into the habit of taking pictures as I disassemble to avoid headaches.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Yea.....I do sometimes when I think it's going to be a while before I get back to it, but it would be a good idea for me to get in the habit of doing it all of the time. Thanks
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:19 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Glad there was a lesson learned here. Disassembly is easy, reassembly can be quite the opposite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page