Master Cylinder Headache... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Master Cylinder Headache...

Hey guys,

I don't know if I am ed or what, but I cant seem to bleed the front master cylinder. I just bought an axial type front master cylinder to replace my brick style master cylinder on my 03 and I was super excited to put it on so I figured it would be just like every other time I have bled brakes, but I guess not.

So, first things first, I am not getting any fluid what so ever from the reservoir by doing two methods I know; pumping, holding, opening the bleed valve, then closing and releasing the lever, or opening the bleed valve, pump and hold, then close and release. The reservoir stays at the same level and the lever never gets any stiffer.

After a while of trying this, the little ball behind the plunger just hit the silver part in the picture below and felt solid. Is that supposed to happen? The lever just completely stopped and didn't complete the full range of motion and you can hear a clunk when it stops coming from inside the M/C. Is this silver female part supposed to move in and out and let fluid in and out? Could it be seized or something?

Before posting I searched through a couple threads and read that sometimes when a M/C is completely dry you need to vacuum suck the fluid in? i have never had to do this, just thought vacuum was for convenience. Even so, I might go over to my friends to use his vacuum bleeder and see if that works.

Anyways, I dont know what I am doing wrong and don't want to poke around and start breaking stuff so figured I would ask here. Thanks for your time in advance!

And before anyone suggests, I looked around and made sure nothing was physically stopping the lever.

Jake

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=394793

Black And Gold!

Last edited by jacob92icu; 02-22-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:34 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check the two little holes in the reservoir. May need to poke tiny wire to make sure both holes are clear. Watch the fluid in the open reservoir, should see pulse back or motion in fluid.

May need to use the vacuum on it.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoichiro_Honda View Post
Check the two little holes in the reservoir. May need to poke tiny wire to make sure both holes are clear. Watch the fluid in the open reservoir, should see pulse back or motion in fluid.

May need to use the vacuum on it.
I was thinking of trying something like this. I think Ill disconnect the reservoir from the hose and then remove the hose from the master cylinder and check for blockages in there as well. Does the inlet nipple on the master cylinder come out by pulling a little?

Also, should I use wd40 or some other method to try and free up that silver piece inside the master cylinder that is pictured above? Or is it okay for it to not be moving right now?

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 02:46 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Gravity bleed it. A master full of air won't draw fluid.

Just fill the reservoir, crack a caliper bleed nipple and wait
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I had the same thing happen when I did the MC swap. I took a length of hose and stuck it on the bleed valve, then depressed the brake lever, then sucked on the hose until I saw some fluid in it, then released the brake lever. Once I saw the little bit of fluid in hose I went and bled the MC like normal

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
buy a vacuum bleeder.....make this into a 15 minute job (really!).

I will never again just pump and bleed......and I am happy about that
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Thank goodness someones had the same problems lol. I always over react a little when something didn't go smoothly. Ill try these tonight when i get home and report back here the results.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Its likely sticking due to dry seals. Once you get fluid back in there it will probably be fine
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Its likely sticking due to dry seals. Once you get fluid back in there it will probably be fine
Last time i listened to you wibbly wobbly my problem was resolved, sort of. So i shall do so again haha.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Hope it all works out for you bud
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Okay,

I am getting a wee bit frustrated now, well pretty frustrated

I tried the two things you guys suggested, just cracking open the bleed valve letting gravity feed the fluid through, and then actually sucking to try and force the fluid through. Neither worked. So I figured I would take it off and start pulling things off.

I drained the reservoir first, then took off the line from the reservoir to the master cylinder. Fluid came out, good. Then I removed the nipple and fluid was in there. So, in conclusion of these acts, the reservoir and line and nipple inlet are all working good and clog free. Then I decided to take the snap ring off and remove the nipple completely to expose this:

Good right? Top one has a tiny hole and the bottom one looks like the valve thing you can see moving when pumping the lever with the cap off of the old master cylinder.

Fluid got all the way to that point with no assistance, and then stopped there. So I took the plunger off and had one more look. Heres what I see:

Sooooo, back to my original question, what the hell is that silver bucket thing supposed to do when this penor looking black thing inserts itself into the bucket? Cause I put some brake fluid into just this part specifically and put the plunger back on and pumped it manually no lever, and nothing happened, fluid went no where. So I have tracked it down to this thing not working properly.

I even made sure the bleed valve was good, and it was, no clogs or anything. I took it off and just blew through it with my mouth and air came out the other side where the lines connect. I tried doing this with the part where the fluid from the reservoir finally meets the master cylinder (first picture) and got blue in the face because it would let no air through what so ever.

I dont know where to go from here though... Dont even know if this piece is malfunctioning or not. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 06:06 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the black pin is what connects your lever to the MC valve, the silver bucket thing. the pin end goes inside the lever, the rounded end goes into the "bucket" - pull the lever which pushes the pin which pushes the plunger which operates the MC - the pin also has a rubber boot around it. I'm assuming you know all that but I'm just making sure I'm reading your problem correctly. I'm also asuming you have the correct lever for the MC, an 03 lever won't work here.

if you press the plunger it should move in & out as it is spring operated, if it doesn't then theres the problem, you will most likely need a rebuild kit - part 21 on this page.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...29/parts.html#
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by swan-rr5 View Post
the black pin is what connects your lever to the MC valve, the silver bucket thing. the pin end goes inside the lever, the rounded end goes into the "bucket" - pull the lever which pushes the pin which pushes the plunger which operates the MC - the pin also has a rubber boot around it. I'm assuming you know all that but I'm just making sure I'm reading your problem correctly. I'm also asuming you have the correct lever for the MC, an 03 lever won't work here.

if you press the plunger it should move in & out as it is spring operated, if it doesn't then theres the problem, you will most likely need a rebuild kit - part 21 on this page.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...29/parts.html#

Yes, i knew all of that except for the bit about the spring operated part. Which part is spring operated and is supposed to move in and out? The silver bucket?

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:29 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
When you tried to gravity bleed it did you have the lever pulled or just at normal rest?

Did you open a caliper bleeder or the master bleeder?

You are WAY over thinking this
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
When you tried to gravity bleed it did you have the lever pulled or just at normal rest?

Did you open a caliper bleeder or the master bleeder?

You are WAY over thinking this
I opened the master bleeder, was i supposed to open the caliper bleeder? Or both?

Also, the m/c was at normal rest when i cracked the bleeder on it.

I know I'm probably over thinking it, but it seems to me like nothing happens when pumping the lever, as if the components behind the silver bucket are all seized and corroded.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:38 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
get over the sliver bucket lol.

fill the reservoir, crack the caliper bleeder and let it sit.

any fluid in the line will siphon fluid from the reservoir through the master.

you can't take a dry master cylinder and pump away at it expecting results, this doesn't work at all. blowing and sucking on it with your mouth is just ridiculous.

master cylinders are startlingly simple. it's just a hydraulic plunger pump. quit messing with it and just gravity bleed it.

so many people just put fluid in the res, and start pumping away, this will get you nowhere.
post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
get over the sliver bucket lol.

fill the reservoir, crack the caliper bleeder and let it sit.

any fluid in the line will siphon fluid from the reservoir through the master.

you can't take a dry master cylinder and pump away at it expecting results, this doesn't work at all. blowing and sucking on it with your mouth is just ridiculous.

master cylinders are startlingly simple. it's just a hydraulic plunger pump. quit messing with it and just gravity bleed it.

so many people just put fluid in the res, and start pumping away, this will get you nowhere.
So do nothing with the m/c bleeder? And how long shall i leave it just sitting with the caliper bleeder cracked? I assume crack the bleeder on the left caliper from riders perspective?

Such an angry wise man wibbly haha ;D

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 03:51 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
no, there isn't enough hydrostatic pressure from the res to master to do anything at the master bleeder yet.

any or both of the caliper bleeders (put a hose to a catch bottle at the caliper). then just wait.

eventually you'll see fluid coming out from the caliper and into the bottle. keep an eye on the reservoir and keep it full.

once you have fluid flowing out the caliper or calipers, close the bleed nipples then bleed at the master with the standard pump and bleed method.

you don't have to pump the lever 1000 times before bleeding at the nipple, this breaks up any air bubbles into hundreds of tiny ones, making it a longer process.

pull the lever, crack the bleeder, release the lever slowly, then pull again, bleed again.

that's all there is to it.
post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
no, there isn't enough hydrostatic pressure from the res to master to do anything at the master bleeder yet.

any or both of the caliper bleeders (put a hose to a catch bottle at the caliper). then just wait.

eventually you'll see fluid coming out from the caliper and into the bottle. keep an eye on the reservoir and keep it full.

once you have fluid flowing out the caliper or calipers, close the bleed nipples then bleed at the master with the standard pump and bleed method.

you don't have to pump the lever 1000 times before bleeding at the nipple, this breaks up any air bubbles into hundreds of tiny ones, making it a longer process.

pull the lever, crack the bleeder, release the lever slowly, then pull again, bleed again.

that's all there is to it.
Alright, gunna go try this now. I am going to open only one caliper bleeder cause I only have one clear hose lol. Hopefully it doesnt take forever.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:31 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
I did mine in 20 mins. That's doing one caliper then the other.
post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
I did mine in 20 mins. That's doing one caliper then the other.
Just to make sure I have it correct, fill reservoir, crack a bleed nipple on one of the calipers, with the bleed nipple closed at the M/C and just wait for fluid to show in my clear hose?

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 04:57 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Yeah just let it drip though.
post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Yeah just let it drip though.
No fluid in the cup to catch fluid then?

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:11 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Wtf are you talking about? Haha just put a catch bottle and go
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Haha Idk...

Ok, so I have the left caliper cracked open and everything else tightened up, so far I see no fluid flowing, and the fluid at the reservoir is at the same level from when I started

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
just give it a bit! man people are so impatient
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
just give it a bit! man people are so impatient
Especially me

I shall give it a bit. A tiny bit of fluid came out the very first second after I cracked it, but thats it right now.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:34 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
it'll come.

you can pinch the hose from the master to the reservoir a few times to push any air in there back into the res.
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
it'll come.

you can pinch the hose from the master to the reservoir a few times to push any air in there back into the res.
I cut the line in half and have both nipples open now, and I pinched the line like you said and one lonely air bubble came up to the res lol

Still waiting

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Ah hah, theres about a half inch of fluid on each line now,

Wibbly...

If this works...

How much fluid should I be waiting for?

Still watching

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page