odometer problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
odometer problem

Okay so being new to the bike community i'm not as experienced as others may be so i need some help. I'm looking into purchasing a 2005 cbr600rr. I have not yet seen the bike, but i have spoken with the owner over the phone. I scheduled to see the bike friday, but there are some concerns with it i'd like to hear more advice about.
The owner claims there is roughly about 16,700 miles on the bike, but he also said his odometer and gas gauge seem to glitch and give different readings often. Sometimes the odometer may read 16,000ish miles and other times it will read around 6,000ish miles. Also, the gas gauge will go up and down between bars reading it differently. Is this a major problem to fix? how expensive?
Also, is there any other way to get an official reading of the mileage on the bike? I don't want to end up buying a bike that has more miles then being read on the odometer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:08 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Hey,

Welcome to the site! The only way to check mileage would be to run a carfax report on the bike. But you will find limitations with that, because assuming he's been bringing it in to get the odometer read during his yearly inspection (if his state also requires one). If not, then there's no way you would know. It could be a faulty wire with the gauges, because 16,000 vs. 6,000, maybe the 1 is glitching where it's not showing up properly.

Regarding the gas gauge, it just depends on the bike. Are we talking the difference between a bar or 2? Or more like showing all or none? I have an 08, the gas gauge is pretty accurate, but does fluctuate. If the bike is leaned over, it will read differently or take a minute before it reads correctly again.

I know you're concerned with the mileage being off, but these bikes can run forever. If you're ok with 16k on the odometer which I would be, then I wouldn't mind it showing 6. The reason why lots of bikes don't have high mileage is because people lose interest, crash and wreck the bike beyond repair or turn it into a trackbike. There are forum members here with 250K miles on their bikes.

Resolving the issue. You can just get a new gauge and/or new wiring harness. However, the mileage of 16K is linked to the odometer. You change the odometer, and you'll start from the point of the new/used odometer. So then you may have the issue of it showing weird if you were to go for an inspection and your carfax report is suspect. I'd check more for damage, if the bike has been down, are the original plastics on, etc.

Personally I'd look for an 07+ bike (its' the same up to 2012), better model, rides better. But if you're getting a good deal, and like the bike go for it. Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to harry-nyc For This Useful Post:
opipes1221 (03-24-2014)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Just seen your message man, and i actually ended up buying a cbr 600 f4i, but i really do appreciate the help!!! I ended up just going with my gut feeling passing on that bike, since i'm not too familiar with these bikes yet, but i'm glad i waited because i really lucked out with the one i bought!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 05:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by opipes1221 View Post
Just seen your message man, and i actually ended up buying a cbr 600 f4i, but i really do appreciate the help!!! I ended up just going with my gut feeling passing on that bike, since i'm not too familiar with these bikes yet, but i'm glad i waited because i really lucked out with the one i bought!
Thanks for following up man, I hate it when people start threads and then just leave us hanging..... and hanging.........................and hanging........................................... .................................................. ......(a year later) AND HANGING! lol, congrats on the new bike. If you have time post some pics!

2009 CBR600RR
DDM HIDs-Leyla Fairings w/Cowl-Spirit Line Tank Pad-Sato Racing Helmet Lock-Akra S/O-CBR Heaven FE/IT-BikeBolts Kit-Stomp Grips-Keiti CF Gas Cap-K&N HF Air Filter-DIY License Plate Relocator-Cycle Pirates Shift Lever-ZG Double Bubble-Pit Bull Spools-Tapeworks Graffiti Rimstripes-600rr.net Sock-PZR Zero GI-Tekacarbon CF Heat Shield & Rear Hugger-Driven EvoSpec Sprockets-EK 3D Blk Chain-Driven LE D3's-Smoked Hyper White Halo-1's-ASV C5's-RR Bar Ends-Q3's-RAM Mount-eTrex Legend

KCCO
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Moto GP Racer

personally Id rather have an f4i than an 05 600

1971 Volkswagen 1302 (02.19.2015 - )

For Sale:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/153-07-13-rr...0rr-c-abs.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page