Vibration and lean - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Vibration and lean

I picked up my CBR as a project bike. And to replace my r6. It has been down by previous owner. I checked it out and it looked to be nothing but cosmetic issues.

Issues I'm trying to trouble shoot

I've been noticing that i get very strong vibrations(like a cell phone but much stronger), so strong I can feel it on my shoes vibrating my feet and pegs. I know there is engine vibration but my r6 never vibrated this much.

Anything under 80 feels like vibrations. Like a phone vibrating. When I pass 80-90 mph it vibration changes to a bouncy feelin. Very little that it's a micx of the cell phone and bounce vibration. 90-100 it gets bad. 100-110 it feels like the front tire is about to bounce like a ball so I let off.

I also notice today when I take my hands off the handle bars it automatically leans right. On my r6 my bike would just follow its path and go stright.

My trouble shooting

Speed test from 110. I would squeeze my clutch in and let it coast but my speed drops so fast that it's hard for me to determine if it's the wheel or the engine. My gut feeling is that the bouncing is from imbalance tires sense I feel the bounce a little as the bike coasts down. I will do another test so I can describe it better. It's suppose to rain tonight so I won't be able to do it tonight. I did do an engine rev at nutrual but I can't tell if it's normal engine vibration or out of normal vibrations.

My first step is to do a wheel balance to see if that's the issue. I've eyeballed the rear and front wheel to see if it's bent but from eyeballing it it seems stright.

Any other tips or what either steps I should do/test please let me know. I'm on a project budget so troubleshooting this is going to hurt.

Thanks in advance.

HONDA CBR600RR 2007

Last edited by llayz; 02-27-2014 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Adding info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 03:36 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

it seems to be increasing with wheel speed, and not engine speed:
talk off your wheels and balance them, while at it check tires for any defects. If you have a dial gauge sitting around check runout after you throw them back on.
Might as well check the bearings by rocking the wheels.

2009 cbr 600rr
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 04:09 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llayz View Post
I also notice today when I take my hands off the handle bars it automatically leans right. On my r6 my bike would just follow its path and go stright.
first and foremost, make sure none of the little spacers at the wheels hubs are missing. (refer to drawing).

didn't work?

Does it 1) try to steer at constant speed too when you are holding the bars? or 2)only when you let go?

if its always trying to steer, then something is out of line, either misaligned wheel, or something bent.
if its only as you slow down (when you let go you chop throttle) it could forks related.

if 2)
Reset your forks setting (preload, compression and rebound), while doing so check the number of turns, if there's a huge difference then reset and test run. Also check the seals, one fork may be completely drained.

if 1)
check chain alignment, preferably with this something like this tool:

and inspect sprockets for uneven wear on both sides, also check if chain is running centered on the sprocket. (dont use the marks on the swingarm)

problem persists? check chain alignment again...if it is out of alignment again, learn how to properly align the chain and tighten axle nut...many threads on that here..

alingment fine? but problem persists? check rear wheel alignment by comparing to front wheel using the string method:

if chain is aligned and wheel is crooked, could be bent swingarm

2009 cbr 600rr

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks guys. I will do all this and report back!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2014, 04:22 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

u can also check forks/triples, they could have twisted, some pointers here:
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/quadrunne...lignment.shtml
http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78039

2009 cbr 600rr
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Vibration and lean

Quick update. Haven't had the time to do the balance yet. But I did a little field test on my way to work.

The bouncy feeling at high speed is def not the engine. I went 115 today. Pulled the clutch. And I still felt it. But it wasn't as strong. It's stronger as I throttle up. But pulling in the clutch. It just bounced. (I hope that made sense)

The lean. I did it at a 40mph. I let go if the handle bar. Lighted my feet to make sure I'm not leaving the bike. And it will ride straight for a sec or two then slowly lean right.

Vibration is still there. But I'm guessing it's normal engine vibration. That I'm not use to? My r6 never vibrated that much where I felt in the peg. So I am a bit worrisome still.

Do you guys get some vibration in the pegs????

I'll prob get the balance in a week or so. Been really busy with work. I'll keep this update it as I work on it. Thanks again guys.

HONDA CBR600RR 2007

Last edited by llayz; 03-13-2014 at 09:10 AM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

So I haven't had the time to check everything and Its bugging me bad. So I decided to take my fairing money and slip on money and just bring it to the shop. I'll update once he's done looking at it.

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 07:37 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Good call, there's always time for mods, a vibrating and leaning bike.. is no good..mind you unless something is crooked, it shouldn't cost much

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2009 cbr 600rr

Last edited by sameh90; 03-21-2014 at 07:41 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Vibration and lean

So I dropped my bike off at Mach 1 motorsports in Newport Beach a few days ago. The owner told me the bike is vibrating more then normal and he said he will look into the bouncing and I asked him to check if anything else is bent.

I called today and and said everything is fine. Nothing is wrong. Nothing is bent. He checked the motor mounts and checked the tightness of the bolts and nothing is wrong. I asked him if it's still vibrating and if he still gets the bouncing feeling. He said no.

So I am a but confused as if he fixed anything or what he did to make it go away? I guess I'll test ride it tomorrow to see if it is truly gone.

Should I still have him balance the tires just in case??

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:05 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It def shouldnt be bouncing like you are explaining. Some vibrations will always be there. Might as well get the wheels balanced while the bike is there, this way they will remove the wheels and see if the spacers are all there and retorque the axle bolts
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I called and asked to do the wheel balance and he said that the wheel balance wouldn't cause the issue's I'm explaining.

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 03:34 PM
Knee Dragger

Ride it and see if the bouncing is gone... Hopefully its all good now
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Check the rear wheel alignment, that could be a reason for the pulling right or left. I'm curious to see if they fixed the vibration. Where are you located?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-nyc View Post
Check the rear wheel alignment, that could be a reason for the pulling right or left. I'm curious to see if they fixed the vibration. Where are you located?

I'm located in Fountain Valley CA.

I will update it right when I get home from the shop. If it's still there then I'll have to have another shop take a look Or do it myself

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Vibration and lean

So they told me nothing was wrong and it was just my suspension. They adjusted it to my weight and I took her home. After pulling her to 80,90 it was a big difference. Vibration was less but still there. Bouncing feeling was there but a lot less. So I kept test riding it and it is definitely still there after taking her over 100. It's just not as strong because of the readjustment to my suspension.

Installing some after market pegs I had to put it in gear and let the wheel spin while I had it on the rear stand. Popped it in gear and as the rear wheel was spinning. To find out I can definitely see that the tire has a small bump to it or something it is very small but at high speeds I'm guessing that may be the culprit. looking at the wheel where the main nut is connected to the rim and swing arm. I can see that something is off. The mechanic at the shop told me that balancing my tires will not fix that issue when I asked him to balance it before I picked it up.

So should I return to the same shop that said they didn't find anything or should I explain to them what I found and still take it there?? Or try a new shop

HONDA CBR600RR 2007

Last edited by llayz; 04-01-2014 at 01:42 PM.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 03:13 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

As you describe it...it seems like its a runout issue...and in that case yes balancing won't help...might reduce it slightly if the offset is causing a mass unbalance...but wont let it go away...one thing you can do is get a dial indicator and braket and check runout on both rim lip and the inside...the manual limit is 0.2mm i think but last time i checked it was less than 0.05mm i think..if your wheel is fyn than it could just be a bad tire...although if its that bad you should be able to guess visually..

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2009 cbr 600rr
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Knee Dragger

If your tire has a bump in it then you need to change the tire. With the new tire, they will balance your wheel and install it back on and adjust the chain etc... Idk if you want to go back to the same shop if they didnt find any problems in the first place. The bump will cause vibrations and if your wheel is off centre then it can cause a lean/pull...
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
if the wheel itself is somewhat bent, dinged, or out of round you can feel it at higher speeds.

bump in tire itself = time for new tire......
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Update,

Vibration Unsolved

So we replace the clutch thinking it was the clutch, NOPE not the clutch. Vibration is still there. The mechanic said its most likely engine problems and it will cost a lot to rip apart the engine to find the issue. I am goign to replace the spark pugs and air filter once i get it because I know its due for a tune up at 9k (im not sure what the other owner has done)
anything else i should look to in replacing sense im going to be in there??

Lean Unsolved
unsolved and haven't gotten to troubleshoot it yet

bouncing at high speeds Solved!!
it was due to improper balancing as i expected front and rear was really off balanced now it rides smoooooth, took it to 135mph and no bounce, Tire seems to be good as well

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 03:42 AM
BOTM Winner 04/14

Garage
Did you try swapping the tyre after all? Did you check rear wheel alignment? I have seen these mentioned but I haven't seen your reply. Maybe I missed it somewhere
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GConn View Post
Did you try swapping the tyre after all? Did you check rear wheel alignment? I have seen these mentioned but I haven't seen your reply. Maybe I missed it somewhere
The shop i took it too checked the front and the rear tire and told me nothing was wrong, only that it was seriously out of balance. I'm assuming they checked all that you stated as they where checking the front and rear (i asked them to and paid for it)

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page