'07 front brake bleed issue - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'07 front brake bleed issue

Okay, I did a search first and couldn't find anything specific to this. If there is something, sorry for the repeat. (I figure if someone else has already posted up about it, there is no point in killing more trees to print..er, well you know what I mean).

The Problem (besides the nut holding the bars): I bleed the front master, and both calipers. No more bubbles! Brakes feel very good. Come back a week later and the lever travels a little bit further back and there is less feel. Bleed the master (at the bleeder above it) and there will be a couple of bubbles. Back to firm feel....let the bike sit a few days and I have to "repeat" this all over again.
SO...WHERE IS THIS MYSTERY AIR COMING FROM?
I have no leaks anywhere. Not loosing fluid....except what is expelled during bleeding. This has gone on for a year. I have just come to know that I need to d a quick bleed before taking her out.

Anyone experience this? Solutions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 02:43 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

possibly you're not bleeding it fully. I find it much easier to put a syringe on the bleed nipple and pull a slight vacuum to ensure that the system is sealed and does not draw air back in when bleeding.

I have experienced similar when the caliper pistons were worn and would "settle" off the pads. that was on a 55k mile bike.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 02:46 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
could be some air stuck in the lines/calipers/master cylinder... I've heard of guys taking a zip tie around the brake lever/grip and leaving it sit for a day to get the air to flow up into the reservoir

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
could be some air stuck in the lines/calipers/master cylinder... I've heard of guys taking a zip tie around the brake lever/grip and leaving it sit for a day to get the air to flow up into the reservoir
I have heard of this too. I have not tried it. I guess I will and let you know.

I've used a vacuum bleeder twice and replaced all fluid with fresh DOT4. May try that AGAIN, since that is always so much fun. LOL
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 02:55 PM
Moto GP Racer

if you do the zip tie on the lever thing it might force fluid out of somewhere too, so it's worth a shot to see what happens

2W1R - IceTitan
The Following User Says Thank You to Bridge_Jumper For This Useful Post:
orange crush (03-05-2014)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 02:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Do you have OEM lines or Stainless Steel? Let's go with that question first. If you have OEM lines, the rubber expands, so instead of the brake fluid going straight down to the calipers, it will make the lines expand, so not all of it is getting to where it supposed to be. Stainless steel brake lines help prevent that.

Then, what is your method of bleeding?

1) Master Cylinder?
2) Rider's Right side of the bike?
3) Rider's Left side of the bike?

Does it still feel like less travel when you pump the brake after a week, i.e. does the pressure build back up, or does it stay the same.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-nyc View Post
Do you have OEM lines or Stainless Steel? Let's go with that question first. If you have OEM lines, the rubber expands, so instead of the brake fluid going straight down to the calipers, it will make the lines expand, so not all of it is getting to where it supposed to be. Stainless steel brake lines help prevent that.

Then, what is your method of bleeding?

1) Master Cylinder?
2) Rider's Right side of the bike?
3) Rider's Left side of the bike?

Does it still feel like less travel when you pump the brake after a week, i.e. does the pressure build back up, or does it stay the same.
It is getting air in the master cylinder from SOMEWHERE? I'm not a rocket scientist...but I can rebuild engines. So bleeding a hydrulic system isn't on the "difficult" side of things for me.
Once they are bleed, they have good feel. Yes they have oem rubber hoses, and SS would provide much better feel. BUT, a few days of sitting not being used, and they develope air in the master cyclinder area. I bleed that tiny bit of air, and they are fine... But this has gone on for months. UGH. Where is the air COMING FROM?!

I'm going to ZIP TIE tonight.....Why not.I'm ready to try animal sacrifices at this point.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Hmmm. Maybe there's something wrong with the master cylinder then. Somehow it's allowing air to enter. But then you should have brake fluid spilling also. This is very bizarre. Maybe it's worth it to replace/upgrade your M.C. if you know this is the issue.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-nyc View Post
Hmmm. Maybe there's something wrong with the master cylinder then. Somehow it's allowing air to enter. But then you should have brake fluid spilling also. This is very bizarre. Maybe it's worth it to replace/upgrade your M.C. if you know this is the issue.
I strapped a canopy tie around the lever last night. Checked it this morning and it's still at the same pressure, and I didn't notice any fluid YET. We I get home I'm going to look her over again....then, rebuild it. I ordered the factory kit a couple weeks ago. Just am not convinced this is the cure. After Market m/c will be next. I'm sure the misses will appreciate the upgrade. (this is her bike)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

if rebuilding it doesn't work you could swap in a different OEM master cylinder if you didn't want to spend the $$ for an aftermarket mc

2W1R - IceTitan
The Following User Says Thank You to Bridge_Jumper For This Useful Post:
orange crush (03-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page