Downshift problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Downshift problem

I know there has been discussion before about this. I tried, but still have problem downshifting from high gear to 1st gear.

When I stop at a stop sign, I press the shift all the way down, in most cases, if not all, it goes to 2nd gear. It seldom goes to the 1st gear at the first time. Then I stop completely, release the clutch halfway out(all the way out right before the engine stall), at this point I usually hear a "click" but it is still at the 2nd gear. Then I squzzed the clutch in again, press the shift and sometimes roll the bike a little bit, if I'm lucky enough, it will go to the 1st gear. But the whole thing usually takes 15-30 seconds. People lined up behind me. Sometimes I just have to go ahead at the 2nd gear. That feels bad.

I'm really new to motoecycle. Can anyone help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 10:50 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Let out on the clutch for each gear downshifted. Don't hold the clutch in while in neutral. Bike gearboxes aren't synchronized like cars so you have to manually mesh the gears together.

Eric
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 10:59 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
try to make it a habit by downshifting as you approach the traffic light
ie do not down shift from 5 to 1st all at once as you attempt to stop at the traffic light it would be a lot easier to do it in transition 1 gear at a time
next time you head out try it i am sure that will make it easier on you
best of luck man

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:02 PM

rev match before you go into first. rev up the engine with the clutch in, and downshift at the same time. should make things go much smoother when you get it right
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:27 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

yup downshift to a stop and REV MATCH!

also...

rememebr... clutch in> neutral> clutch out> clutch in> 1st gear

back when i was a noob at a liight i put it in N and coulnt get it back in gear untill i figureed out u gotta clutch out and in to get it into gear
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

If I find neutral, it's not a problem get to 1st gear. But I have problem even getting to neutral.

I'll try the rev match and let you know. Thanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Pocketbike Racer

If your sitting at a light and need to click down and it wont go try rolling th ebike back and forth a bit. Should click down after that.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 12:16 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

sounds like you're waiting too long to start down shifting. It sounds like you're describing already being stopped at the light, and still being in 5th or whatever gear, and trying to go down to first. You should already be in neutral or first before you get below 10 mph. It won't go down like normal if you're going slower than that or stopped. If you are already stopped, just let the clutch out until you feel it grab, pull it in and down shift, and repeat as needed until you're in the gear you need to be in.

http://www.myspace.com/sprslo
http://www.myspace.com/michellepiperfoundation

2005 600RR silver/black

Jardine Polished RT-1 race ceramic coated black
Tripage F/E
CA integrated taillight
Greggs Customs Flushmounts
painted black windshield
Woodcraft frame sliders+spools
Shark RSR2 Fujiwara red
A* Stage
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 12:50 AM

You have to keep the bike in motion to change gears on these bikes. If you are in neutral at the light and you want to get to 1st, just roll the bike forward a bit and clutch in, then shift to first. If you need to get into neutral but you are in 3rd or higher gear at a light, just hold in clutch then tap all the way down until the neutral light blinks for a split second (if it doesn't, you are not near neutral)...then VERY SLIGHTLY LET THE CLUTCH OUT - YOU CAN FEEL THE GEAR ENGAGING, then clutch back in and voila, you can tap to neutral.

But ya'll that said downshifting before a stop is right - I think it's the best habit to get into - for both safety and gear shifting.

good luck.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 02:29 PM

ya no doubt u need to downshift as u come too a stop. Have u taken the msf class?? If not u should!!! as everyone almost has stated the gears r seqd. not like a car! however it is a common prob. for new riders u have alot goin on and ur not focused on downshiftin but besides helpin to brake it ensures ur n the right gear "having the power to avoid a accident"!!! worry bout rev matchin later if ur that new!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page