'06 Tail light wiring issue. ** Resolved & swapped Tail light ** - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'06 Tail light wiring issue. ** Resolved & swapped Tail light **

So a while back I discovered my tail light had melted due to some passenger issues, extra weight or whatever.

I ordered a replacement tail light for like $20 -- it was OEM Honda from an '05 model which I figured would fit my '06.

I removed the tail cowling and inspected the wiring to see that my '06 tail light has 5 wires running from it. I believe it was a Green, Black and Red? As well as two Yellow wires running from the tail light into a wiring assembly in the bike, I could not work out where it went as it was well taped up along with other wires.

Now the '05 tail light I have has only connection for 3 wires.

What do I do? Do I have some kind of aftermarket part installed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:50 AM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
Did your previous tail light have integrated turn signals?

If so, that would account for the extra wires.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:52 AM
BOTM Winner 05/15

Feedback Score: 28 reviews
The OEM lights only have 3 wires. Ground, running light, and brake light.

Integrated tail lights have Ground, running light, brake light, and two signal wires.

-Chad

"Logically, any motorcyclist can do 60* of lean. The trick is coming back up again." - Neal Spalding

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 12:52 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Had to be an aftermarket where tail light and turn signals are housed into one asm

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

What do you mean by integrated turn signals? The turn signals are not part of the tail light assembly...They are definitely aftermarket turn signals but they are external.

There's 5 wires coming out of the tail light. I guess the Green, Black and Red are the standard one's. With the extra two yellow.

But two yellow wires also come out that I can't figure out where it goes yet as it goes deep into some wiring assembly and it's wrapped up.

The turn signals appear to have a yellow and black wire each and the the licence plate appears to have some orange wire I think?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6racr View Post
The OEM lights only have 3 wires. Ground, running light, and brake light.

Integrated tail lights have Ground, running light, brake light, and two signal wires.
So what are my options now? What would be the easiest way of getting this sorted?

I don't care for integrated lights or OEM lights, I just don't want my rear tail light looking like a crock of **** so as long as things are working as they should I don't mind whichever option I take.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:22 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
If that is the case the may be he started with an integrated tail light then the turn signals stopped working so he decided to stick with the same tail light being that it's brake light function was still in working order then added a set of turn signals to the bike

There is no other explanation for having a tail light with 5 wires like stated above
Two yellow are the turn signals , red is positive brake light , black is negative , green is ground

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
If that is the case the may be he started with an integrated tail light then the turn signals stopped working so he decided to stick with the same tail light being that it's brake light function was still in working order then added a set of turn signals to the bike

There is no other explanation for having a tail light with 5 wires like stated above
Two yellow are the turn signals , red is positive brake light , black is negative , green is ground
Hmm, looks like I will have to remove the cowling again later this week and take some pictures.

Hopefully can get it sorted next weekend.

Do you reckon I should just clip the two yellow wires? That was my first thought but I was a bit worried as I didn't know exactly where they were going. If the turn signals already have two separate yellow wires, I don't see what other function these two miscellaneous wires would have.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 01:43 AM
NEWB

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RothmansRR View Post
Hmm, looks like I will have to remove the cowling again later this week and take some pictures.

Hopefully can get it sorted next weekend.

Do you reckon I should just clip the two yellow wires? That was my first thought but I was a bit worried as I didn't know exactly where they were going. If the turn signals already have two separate yellow wires, I don't see what other function these two miscellaneous wires would have.
Yeah just clip them if you plan on keeping that tail light. The point of the wires are so you can get rid of the current turn signals and have them integrated or included in your tail light. That way you don't have to worry about buying external turn signals, mounting them, etc if you didn't already have them.

"I believe in the old and sound rule that an ounce of sweat will save a gallon of blood."

Ebay Items

http://www.ebay.com/sch/motorcyclepa...1&_ipg=&_from=

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Fixed it up, thanks guys!

The damaged tail light was an integrated tail light after all, I just never realised it because I never bothered to turn on the signals and take a look at the back until today.

I rolled back the rubber housing where most of the wires are housed and discovered that the external indicators connected to the same point as the two yellows. I disconnected the yellows and the external signals continued to work whilst the integrated tail light signal indicators stopped working. The I removed the other 3 as normal and put in the OEM Honda one.

It's working fine now.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page