Need Ideas on this problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Need Ideas on this problem

I just received my Matris Steering Damper and Installation was easy until I had to drill a hole for a pin to go in to keep the damper from rotating on the top tripple. The drill bit that came with the damper was way to small for the pin that came with the damper so I got a bigger bit and drilled my hole to the exact same size as the pin.

Heres the problem. I drilled 1mm short and as I was hammering the pin into place that 1mm wont allow the steering nut cap to be tight against where it needs to be. I cant pull the pin out bc its in there very tight (which is good) so any ideas on how to shave this 1mm off. I dont even know what the pin is made out of but its hard stuff. ANyone with ideas, go ahead and list em bc I am not going to screw this up by trying some stupid idea.

I was thinking dremel and small grinding wheel

here is a sample pic of the problem:

^the red cap wont tighten. Just so you guys have an idea what I am talking about. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!!!!

04' red/blk 600rr
PCIIIusb / K&N Airfilter / 2bros C5-xmetal / Matris Steering Damper / HID look-a-likes / Madd Doc Front LEDs / Tpage Peg rear LEDs / Polished Wheel Lips / Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen / ProGrip Carbon Fiber Tank Protector / Swingarm License Plate / HJC CL-14 Tribe Helemt / HRC Race Jacket / Joe Rocket Gloves
HHHHOORRRAAYYY FOR BBOOBBIEESSS!!!

Just for you Alex, you awsome racer, non poser at anything in your life, coolest person in the world, 600rr rider buddy pal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-28-2006, 06:13 PM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I would imagine the pin is either hardened carbon steel or stainless . As for basic household tools the only thing that will touch that is a grinding wheel like you said. Just go slow so you don't overheat the pin or it will lose it's temper. Grind for a few seconds, put some water on it, repeat until desired size.

Other option may be to use some WD-40 and a pair of vice grips to yank the thing out, then order a new pin as that one would be ruined.

Eric
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

thanks for the suggestion. I dont think i can get the pin out bc I only have 1 mm to grab onto. I am probably going to purchase a dremel (I always wanted one) and just grind it down slowly like you said till its flush.

04' red/blk 600rr
PCIIIusb / K&N Airfilter / 2bros C5-xmetal / Matris Steering Damper / HID look-a-likes / Madd Doc Front LEDs / Tpage Peg rear LEDs / Polished Wheel Lips / Puig Dark Smoke Windscreen / ProGrip Carbon Fiber Tank Protector / Swingarm License Plate / HJC CL-14 Tribe Helemt / HRC Race Jacket / Joe Rocket Gloves

Just for you Alex, you awsome racer, non poser at anything in your life, coolest person in the world, 600rr rider buddy pal

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 12:18 PM
What ever its supposed to be....

is the pin stuck in the mounting bracket or the triple? seems like either way, you could drill 1mm in the opposing piece. It's only 1mm! maybe????
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

its stuck in the tripple and I can slide the mounting piece off and have about 3mm's to work with. Thursday I will grind it down and see if I can make that work, if not I will buy a new upper tripple and re do it perfectly (but I am almost positive a grinder will solve my problem). Right now I am at school but thursday I dont have class so I am driving home ( I got the itch to get the bike ready, winter is comming to an end hopefully soon)

04' red/blk 600rr

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2006, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Moto GP Racer

I used a 4inch grinder to grind away the 1 mm I needed to....thanks for the help the advice and the PMs ppl. Pictures as soon as I find my digital camera!

04' red/blk 600rr

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page