Dramatic Loss of Power in 2006 1000RR - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Dramatic Loss of Power in 2006 1000RR

Hey guys - so I've been having a problem with my bike... here's some bg info.

Bought the bike in October (guy had a buddy die on one and hadn't really ridden in 3-4 weeks - same gas had been in there). I rode the home back 3 hours and didn't really get a chance to go all out as it was like 30 degrees and was trying to stay warm - put gas in it when the gas light came on. Rode the bike twice and layed it down..

Flash forward to January (with the same gas I put in from October). I had started the bike for 10-15 minutes or so every couple of weeks between the crash and when I finally got it fixed up. But went riding once or twice and noticed a dramatic loss of power at high rpms.

For example, in first gear, I get to about 9.5-10k rpms and the bike starts to "chug." Maybe that's not the right word, but the needle slightly bounces and I can't get any higher. Only once or twice have I been able to get into the red line area. This kind of thing happens in every gear (but the depending on what gear I'm in, I may experience the issue at different RPMs.

Not sure if it's related, but it also feels a little sluggish or slow to take off in lower RPMs?

Flash forward again to two weeks ago and changed the plugs as well as ran some seafoam through the system. Noticed an immediate difference. Things began to look up, but couldn't ring it out until a group ride. Also ordered an 8-cell MOTYdesign battery and put that in.

Here is what the spark plugs looked like:

Now, flash forward to today - the problem is still there. New spark plugs, new battery and it seems to get worse the longer I ride.

Went on a group ride today and everything seemed fine at first and after riding an hour or so, it exponentially got worse. When I took a break at the gas stop, things seemed to get a little better but the issue was still there.

Any ideas or any of you experience similar situations? ECU? throttle bodies? dirty injector? cam chain?

I do not have a power commander or bazzaz

Thanks for any advice/input.

2012 CBR600RR Black
2003 CBR600RR Playboy Race Replica - Sold
2007 CBR600RR Konica Minolta Race Replica - Stolen, Recovered, Rebuilt & Sold
2006 CBR1000RR Red/Black - Traded for Jeep Wrangler

2012 CBR600RR Build Thread: https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=497201
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:35 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Some of those spark plugs look fouled (the middle two look like those cylinders are running very rich) I'm guessing it's either an injector problem or an air intake problem. Maybe both?

What's the mileage of the bike and service history?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:44 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
When you chop your throttle do you get any type of engine braking? Or does your bike just kinda keep rolling at the speed you're going at?

I'm thinking 3 things here.

Since it happens in all gears and at different RPMs I'm gonna throw the clutch out there. That's where the engine braking question comes in play. If you're getting good engine braking it's not likely to be your clutch. If your bike just kinda rolls up to lights without any real engine braking then you will need to replace your clutch disks.

Air filter. Looking at those plugs your mixture is off. When is the last time your air filter was replaced or cleaned (if you have an aftermarket filter).

Third would be a fueling or firing issue. Again, those plugs look nasty, so either you've got bad gas (which should have been fixed when you ran it dry and cycled seafoam) or you have a bigger issue (thinking injectors maybe). You might have a coil going bad. If they're acting up the problem will get worse as the bike gets hotter. With that in mind, would this diagnosis fit the symptoms you were experiencing on your group ride? Ran fine after a break, but got shittier as you rode longer?

Anyway, need more info.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)

Last edited by Ldn; 03-10-2014 at 02:50 AM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
When you chop your throttle do you get any type of engine braking? Or does your bike just kinda keep rolling at the speed you're going at?

I'm thinking 3 things here.

Since it happens in all gears and at different RPMs I'm gonna throw the clutch out there. That's where the engine braking question comes in play. If you're getting good engine braking it's not likely to be your clutch. If your bike just kinda rolls up to lights without any real engine braking then you will need to replace your clutch disks.

Air filter. Looking at those plugs your mixture is off. When is the last time your air filter was replaced or cleaned (if you have an aftermarket filter).

Third would be a fueling or firing issue. Again, those plugs look nasty, so either you've got bad gas (which should have been fixed when you ran it dry and cycled seafoam) or you have a bigger issue (thinking injectors maybe). You might have a coil going bad. If they're acting up the problem will get worse as the bike gets hotter. With that in mind, would this diagnosis fit the symptoms you were experiencing on your group ride? Ran fine after a break, but got shittier as you rode longer?

Anyway, need more info.

Thanks for taking the time to read through and propose a potential diagnosis.

After another group ride today, I was able to experiment some more, here is what I found...

- A combination of higher engine temperatures and running low on tank of gas makes the problem MUCH worse (I begin to experience the problem in low RPMs even in 1st gear) and almost makes the bike unrideable due to the extreme amount of chugging.

- When the problem is very persistant, I feel like I have to give the bike much more gas than I should from a stopped position to starting to ride.

- In mid-range RPM I am able to hold the throttle and power through the problem (although it chugs, I am able to get up into higher RPMs).

- Engine braking is fine as far as I can tell.

- I was experiencing the problem very, very bad on the way home (running low on gas and high engine temps). After refueling, the problem persisted for about 4-5 miles and then significantly decreased. It was still there in very high RPMs, but not in the low and mid range. I was able to get the shift indicator to come on in the lower RPMs about 10-20 miles after refueling.

2012 CBR600RR Black
2003 CBR600RR Playboy Race Replica - Sold
2007 CBR600RR Konica Minolta Race Replica - Stolen, Recovered, Rebuilt & Sold
2006 CBR1000RR Red/Black - Traded for Jeep Wrangler

2012 CBR600RR Build Thread: https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=497201
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page