Bike stalled Now wont start - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bike stalled Now wont start

Last night I was Riding home on the freeway on my 2006 cbr 600rr. I was about 15 miles into my 20 mile ride home and I had gotten up to about 120 and the oil light on my dash turned on and the bike stalled out and front end sunk down and scared the crap out of me.

I shifted down to neutral and she started running fine again so I took it slow till my exit and everything was running normal but i was still concerned. When i began downshifting and slowing to the exit light, once i got into neutral my bike turned off and all the lights and dash died, but quickly began to restart and do the light up sequence. as soon as i tried to start her up all the lights died and i couldnt get the lights or dash to come on now matter how many times i tried.

im not sure if this is the battery? or a wiring issue. battery is about 2 years old but hasnt showed any signs of issue till today.

also i tried push starting in 2nd gear with the key in the ignition turned and she would turn over, and the dash would light up as well as headlight for about a second or 2, but fuel injection didnt seem to kick in and everything would just cut right back off.

Also while i was pushing it home and coasting in neutral the dash lights and headlights would randomly try and turn on every minute or 2 but only for a brief moment then turn right back off.

any help would be greatly appreciated as im and really confused whats going on and this is my day to day vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Try hooking your battery up to a tender overnight, and starting it again in the morning. Or get a load tester to confirm the condition of the battery. If the battery is good and holds a charge, then it could be your charging system (regulator/rectifier or stator).

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
The Following User Says Thank You to G Money For This Useful Post:
Jbillz (03-10-2014)
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:01 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
you're a dumbass. going 120 on public streets gives motorcyclists a bad name

but yes, check your battery terminals to make sure they're tight, probably wouldn't hurt to take your battery to be load tested

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:02 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
either battery or kill switch

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain
https://www.600rr.net/vb/176-rr-other-brands-bike-build/527578-seksas-track-build.html
04 CBR600rr Track bike partout : https://www.600rr.net/vb/106-03-06-rr-parts/581209-03-04-track-bike-part-out-pcv-yoyodyne-so.html
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post

but yes, check your battery terminals to make sure they're tight, probably wouldn't hurt to take your battery to be load tested
I usually dont go that fast, but i try to get her up there every couple months or so, i was on a rural open freeway loop with little to no cars on it on a long open stretch. thanks for the advice, gotta go get my multimeter out of storage
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:12 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seksas View Post
either battery or kill switch
^^Kill switch is definitely something to check into. I can press on mine hard enough (which isn't really that hard) while it's in the on position and kill the bike.

Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:14 PM
Moto GP Racer

lights would still come on if the kill switch is set to "not run".

2W1R - IceTitan
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 PM
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Also make sure you don't have loose connections to the battery.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
^^Kill switch is definitely something to check into. I can press on mine hard enough (which isn't really that hard) while it's in the on position and kill the bike.
funny thing is i never EVER use my kill switch. its always just on, but i will definitely look into this. what would be the best way of checking it? im not sure how its wired. or where the path is
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:17 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:

+1. Why were you going so slow?

Could be your reg/rec is goosed so the battery has dischrged completely.
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:21 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
lights would still come on if the kill switch is set to "not run".
True. Forgot that detail.

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:24 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Feedback Score: 32 reviews
yea I just sent mine to T to redo all the contacts. had mine shut of on the eway a couple of times scared the **** out of me. after that I changed my battery, by passed the switch on the kickstand and no T redid the whole kill switch so (knock on wood) hopefully it wont stall anymore

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain
https://www.600rr.net/vb/176-rr-other-brands-bike-build/527578-seksas-track-build.html
04 CBR600rr Track bike partout : https://www.600rr.net/vb/106-03-06-rr-parts/581209-03-04-track-bike-part-out-pcv-yoyodyne-so.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Seksas For This Useful Post:
Jbillz (03-10-2014)
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seksas View Post
yea I just sent mine to T to redo all the contacts. had mine shut of on the eway a couple of times scared the **** out of me. after that I changed my battery, by passed the switch on the kickstand and no T redid the whole kill switch so (knock on wood) hopefully it wont stall anymore
yea it was a pretty sketchy situaton glad i was able to at least make it to the exit, had to push her home from there :I
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngy View Post
+1. Why were you going so slow?

Could be your reg/rec is goosed so the battery has dischrged completely.
gonna look into this, sucks im in the process of moving so im in temporary apartment housing and have little tools here.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Moto GP Racer

could be something as simple as loose battery terminals. I used to drive a tow truck and saw it all the time on cars where it would make the car randomly not start/die and all it ended up being was loose battery terminals

2W1R - IceTitan
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
could be something as simple as loose battery terminals. I used to drive a tow truck and saw it all the time on cars where it would make the car randomly not start/die and all it ended up being was loose battery terminals
this is what im hoping for, but i cant get under the seat right now literally no tools ATM. i dont think it would be a alternator / stator problem as i get power when i try to push start, just not enough to fuel inject and start. is there a possibility that its the rectifier or a fuse?
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 03:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

You can still have leakage, causing a slow drain to the battery. Its not necessarily an on/off type failure. When did you purchase the battery, or about how old is it? Is it a crappy brand?

More than likely you have one of three scenarios: Bad battery, bad charging system, or loose connections. It died when you went to neutral because the wheel wasn't connected to the drive train (and therefore the charging system). If it were a fuse, then you wouldn't get intermittent power to the dash.

I can PM you pages of the manual (for my 03) that give instructions for troubleshooting battery/charging system issues.

Last edited by G Money; 03-10-2014 at 04:02 PM. Reason: words
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
You can still have leakage, causing a slow drain to the battery. Its not necessarily an on/off type failure. When did you purchase the battery, or about how old is it? Is it a crappy brand?

More than likely you have one of three scenarios: Bad battery, bad charging system, or loose connections. It died when you went to neutral because the wheel wasn't connected to the drive train (and therefore the charging system). If it were a fuse, then you wouldn't get intermittent power to the dash.

I can PM you pages of the manual (for my 03) that give instructions for troubleshooting battery/charging system issues.
battery is about a year and a half old, i cant remember the brand off the top of my head.

**but i do have a status update!**

I was able to get the seat off and check out the battery, the previous owner had installed either some sort of lighting system, or and extension cord that hangs off the battery for easier access to tending. its seems to me that this loose cable has wiggled over time and cause the batteries lead to become loose (not the wiring screwed into the lead, but the lead itself on the battery) so when i put pressure on that lead (the positive one) and hold it down, everything starts up fine, which explains the intermittent power while i was sitting on the seat coasting.

so my next question is can i repair / tighten the lead on the battery itself, or do i just need to purchase a new one :?

p.s. thank you everyone for the support and ideas!
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:18 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Bravo. Loose connection. And I have no idea about fixing a battery post. Do some google-ing.

Also, get rid of the extra wires you don't use. Thats just asking for problems imo.

post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Moto GP Racer

winner winner chicken dinner... told ya

post up a pic of the battery terminal because I have no idea what you're trying to describe

2W1R - IceTitan
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Bravo. Loose connection. And I have no idea about fixing a battery post. Do some google-ing.

Also, get rid of the extra wires you don't use. Thats just asking for problems imo.
definitely gonna remove this battery tender cable as there isnt any room for it anyway
Quote:
winner winner chicken dinner... told ya

post up a pic of the battery terminal because I have no idea what you're trying to describe
here ya go, the part that is loose is the goldish / bronze coloered terminal / battery head on the positive side (not sure best terminology) but not the actual wiring it self that it tight as can be.

*edit wrong image link fixed*
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Maybe take a pair of channel locks and squeeze it near the bottom? I don't think they're attached with a screw or anything. But make sure that you inspect the plastic around the post for cracks before you go putting pressure on the terminal. If its broke loose you might be replacing it.

post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Moto GP Racer

IIRC the posts there are attached to the battery internals, if it's loose or broken you will probably have to replace the battery

2W1R - IceTitan
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
IIRC the posts there are attached to the battery internals, if it's loose or broken you will probably have to replace the battery
thats what i was worried about, i mean it could have been a lot worse, but sucks replacing a battery that still has plenty of life just cause of a terminal post becoming loose. seems there could be a better design..
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Moto GP Racer

check with the manufacturer, they might cover it under warranty

2W1R - IceTitan
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
check with the manufacturer, they might cover it under warranty
definitely gonna check into this, i cant exactly remember where i got the battery, gonna take it out and see whats the make
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

one last thing im still concerned about is why the oil indicator light turned on at the high speed. does this light trigger for multiple reasons besides oil?
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 06:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

The light comes on when you turn the key on, doesn't it? Like the bike restarted while you were riding.

post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Change the battery....

CBR 600RR 07 (track)
Aprilia RSV4 13 R (street/track)
# 707
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-11-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So i went and got a new battery, my usual bike shop was out of stock so I headed over to autozone and the only one that was the exact size as my battery was $163 so I wasnt gonna go with that one. the other one they had that was actually what their system recommended was the duralast ETX9 it was about a half inch taller than my battery, but same in other aspects along with much better terminal design.

I had assumed there would be enough extra space underneath the seat to accommodate the extra half inch... I was wrong. So my question is, what battery do most of you guys use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page