Broken Bolt /Shift LINK - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken Bolt /Shift LINK

So I was installing my Volt kit the other day and noticed that my shift link bolt is broken.. How can i take this out?? I don't think my drill will fit in between the bolt and the frame.. suggestions??

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:48 AM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
It looks like it's already loose. Put a flat head inbetween and twist gently to get the knuckle off the spline and then use an ezout to get it out if it's tight.

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Edit: Nevermind I just saw the pictures on my phone, couldn't see them on the work laptop.

'07 CBR 600rr
'11 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR
Build Thread-Come on, do it! DO IT! What are you waiting for!?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

The dermal idea may work. If anything I'll just cut off the whole link. I bought a new rear set so it comes with one. Just scary if I accsidently nick the shift rod (whatever it's called)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
World Superbike Racer

Like Tripage said above, it looks loose enough that you should be able to slide it off control arm or gearshift spindle. You can then take off your rearset itself and you will have plenty of room to remove the broken bolt with a drill or EZout

'07 CBR 600rr
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Thanks guys. I'll get back to yho when I get the chance to do it. Heading out of town this weekend.

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Hey guys I went to ace today and found a reverse drill bit so i can try and drill it out.. will that work?? I also tried looking for a replacement bolt.. I have no clue what size it is. Does anyone know?/

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 09:49 AM
World Superbike Racer

Drill it out or EZout. I've hears mixed reviews on the EZouts. I believe the bolt you need is

210581-5 BOLT, FLANGE (6X20)

Double check that on bike bandit.com

'07 CBR 600rr
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honderr View Post
Drill it out or EZout. I've hears mixed reviews on the EZouts. I believe the bolt you need is

210581-5 BOLT, FLANGE (6X20)

Double check that on bike bandit.com

Can I find this at a hardware store??

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:30 AM
World Superbike Racer

Probably. Just make sure you get the correct thread pitch. It's only 77 cents off bike bandit plus shipping

'07 CBR 600rr
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honderr View Post
Probably. Just make sure you get the correct thread pitch. It's only 77 cents off bike bandit plus shipping

Oh. I'll just pick it up from there. Thought it be like $5

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 08:19 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ok, let's do this right because all the above advice is going to cause you nothing but more problems with other things. I had the bolt snap on mine when I was installing Vortex rearsets because the arm was incorrectly manufactured and dealt with this exact problem.

First off, you MUST be EXTREMELY careful not to put pressure inward on the shaft or you will break the keeper on the end and have to pull the clutch cover and clutch basket to replace a $2 part, not fun. Don't know what you've done so far but try pushing the rod in and out by hand, if there is more than 1/8" of play you've already broken the keeper which is extremely easy to do. Ask me how I know this so order one before trying to ride the bike if it's broken already.

Secondly, the actuator arm is splined but the bolt that runs through it rides in a groove on the shaft, you cannot simply pull it or pry it off or again, you'll damage the shaft and/or keeper. That bolt must be removed before the arm comes off and you'll never get a drill bit, easy out, reverse anything in there without putting way too much pressure on the shaft or causing more damage to other things around the area. You already know how tight the area is.

Ok, now that that bad advice items are cleared up you can look at how to get it off the bike. Your best friend will be a Dremel with a cut off wheel, patience and getting the bike into a position you can clearly see what needs to happen and be easily worked on. What you are looking to do is cut the bracket apart without pushing in on the shaft, damaging the splines or cutting into the shaft, which while it is hardened, still can be cut or damaged.

I'd CAREFULLY put a quality Vice Grip on the shaft wedged against the engine case to stop the shaft from moving back but be careful; you want it tight but you don't want to damage the shaft or leave grooves in it. Then looking at your second pic start your cutting wheel from the upper right thinest area and cut into the arm going down towards the splined area. Go slow, go careful and try to cut as much of the arm as you can off in relation to the splined hole; in other words try to cut of a third of the hole if you can. Make sense?

Once you have it almost cut through try prying (slightly) at the cut to break the piece off. But again NO HARD PRESSURE in or out on the shaft. If it doesn't break off cut some more and try again but careful of the splines. It's a cheap cast piece so it will break you just have to weaken it and it'll come apart.

At this point since the upper part of the arm isn't threaded the piece should pull off and if your lucky the arm should come off if you were able to cut enough. If not CAREFULLY cut the broken bolt off as close to the bottom as it enters the arm. Once that's cut it will fall off and if you've been careful you'll have a still intact and undamaged shift shaft ready for your new rearsets. If not clean up the splines with a file, you want them complete and clean. Remove the pliers too :)

Put lots of rags around the area and take your time. It'll make a huge mess and I cannot stress enough how fragile the shift shaft keeper is. I'm very careful and have worked on bikes for over 20 years yet somehow broke mine and like I said had to pull the clutch cover and complete clutch basket off of a 610 mile, under 1 month old bike because of this issue. Vortex has since corrected the part, FYI. But I missed a track day and had a long day riding when the bike refused to shift without pulling the rod out at every shift.

Hope this helps, PM me with any questions.

Mike

Last edited by Miweber929; 03-15-2014 at 08:25 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Hey mike. So I was playing around with it to check if that tab is broken. And yes. It's already broken from the previous owner. I'll send you a PM as well. Just wanted to update the thread.

HONDA CBR600RR 2007
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page