Need a pro's help! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need a pro's help!

hey guys, im new to the motorcycle scene so bare with me please, im also not too electrical savy so that doesnt help but here i go, and im going to cut straight to the facts. Sorry if my story is still too long but i wanna put as much info as possible to help you help me.

Bought an 05 cbr 600rr ex stunt bike. No blinkers or cluster gauge unfortunately. He dropped her once on the left side. Anything damaged was replaced. Rode great for a week no problem at all. One day on a ride she hesitated on the throttle so i pulled into a gas station thinking she needed gas. Filled up but then the bike wouldnt start. Lights, horn, and fuel pump didnt work but it had a healthy crank/turn over but no start. Stuck for a couple hours then magically it started up when i tried again. Drove it home no problem. Turned it off but then wouldnt start again. Same symptoms for two days. Then when i went to try again one morning she started right up. Made a few stops no problem but on the ride home she rode a little rough as if not running on all 4. I took her on the freeway and when i would open her up she would lose power. Id let the throttle go then accelerate and she would come back. Came home, turned off, switched back on but no lights, horn, fuel pump, or start but good crank and turn over. Here we go again. I checked my fuses on the side as well as the ones under my seat and they're fine.

I've researched and this seems to be a common problem but i cant find a straight answer. I havent tested the battery but could i get a healthy crank with a bad one? Idk im just stumped and frustrated and could really use a shove in the right direction from a fellow rider.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:42 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
First thing to do and the best thing to do is what I call process of elimination which means you start with the easiest part to check when you have a problem . In your case it's the battery take it off the bike and get it load tested any auto parts store such as Pep Boys , Auto Zone etc etc will test it for free . Based on your symptoms it probably get a bad cell which causing it not to hold a charge . Or if you have a multimeter you can get it tested yourself while it's on the bike visit the maintenance forum plenty of threads about how to perform the test and what reading you should get once you put a load on it ( having the engine running while keeping the revs at a specific RPM )

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Last edited by Moeman; 03-14-2014 at 12:44 AM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:46 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,057 Times in 861 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Something is definitely loose. I'd have a good look at all the grounding points. For so many systems to be affected i would suspect a grounding issue
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
Jense (03-14-2014)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 12:51 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Follow this info you should be able to do it on your own just buy a multimeter if you do not have one

As stated set it for DC, probably 1-50/60volt range. Red is positive.
First with the cables connected and every thing tight, with the battery fully charged.
Test across the battery terminals with the ignition OFF. You should read 12.4v-14.7v.
If you're not in that range, there's a problem with the battery. Turn the ignition ON,
Testing across the battery terminals again, should slowly drop to no less than 11.4v
over at most 30 seconds. If it passes that hurdle (and it should with a new battery),
battery's fine.

To test if the sitting battery has an excess discharge rate while turned off.
First, dis-connect the NEGATIVE cable to the battery and set your multi-meter to
read ohms. Hook the probes between the negative cable on the bike and the battery's
negative terminal. Leave the positive cable hooked to the battery for this test.
With the key OFF, you should read NO MORE than 1.5 milli-ohms. If you read more
then you have either, a short in the harness or a short across the battery (from
dirt/electrolyte on the top of it, again not likely with a new battery), or a bad r/r.

Try that first and see what that tells you. After that, it's probably a charging issue.

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moeman For This Useful Post:
Jense (03-14-2014)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks guys, ill check it out tomorrow and update my situation, i appreciate it
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 01:31 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
it's not your battery. if it cranks strong your battery is good. the biggest draw it will ever see is from your starter motor, if that is fine you're good.

there should be a bundle of grounds tied to your frame near the front left side of your bike, check those out first.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok i believe i figured it out. Seems just to be a short in the harness somewhere, i fiddled with all of them and when I switched on, everything worked and she started. So thanks for that advice on wires. But now i hear a high pitch rattle coming from the right side of the bike when i accelerate or rev. Anybody know what this is and if it's fixable??

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:02 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Timing chain noise. Replace your tensioner. Its a 10 min fix
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Once again you saved my life. Thank you sir i appreciate it.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I checked my bike out and i already have an ape tensioner, do i have to replace it or can i just adjust this one?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 12:37 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Adjust it. Go to the manufacturers website for setting instructions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page