LED Flush Mount Problems - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
LED Flush Mount Problems

Hey guys,

Theres like a million threads on this, but none that I have read have my same problem. I also just want to be as sure as possible that the solution I am about to settle on will actually fix my problem, and its not just another waste of money.

Background, my bike has an LED integrated taillight with bulb light (non LED) style flushmounts. The lights blinked fast with this set up, which I kind of prefer over the stock rate, but it wasnt ridiculously fast.

Problem, I bought TST's flushmount LED's (not the halos) and tried installing them. Set em up right, no running light wire included. Now when I trigger the left or right blinker, the lights are dim with the high beams on and they seem pretty bright without the high beams on. problem is, they are solid, or they are blinking so fast I cannot see them.

So my solution was to buy some resistors and try those, those did not work (wired from positive to negative in series with the indicator). When the resistors were installed, the indicators would blink, but extremely dim with either high beam or low beam, although it did get brighter on low beam. Nonetheless, the indicators seemed to get continuously dimmer.

Now that thats done, I am contemplating buying an LED flasher relay from TST and wiring it up using the no cut thread, but I hesitate because the indicators are so dim when triggered, and I have a hard time thinking that the dimness will go away with the new relay. Reason being, even with no resistors or anything else adding more of a load on the LEDs, the lights are pretty dim highbeams or lowbeams, and they seem to get lower...

Can anyone offer me piece of mind or a different solution?

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=394793

Black And Gold!

Last edited by jacob92icu; 03-16-2014 at 04:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would start with checking your charging system. I just ended up replacing my rectifier and stator last season

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangef3 View Post
I would start with checking your charging system. I just ended up replacing my rectifier and stator last season

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
RR is good, and stator is good charge on the battery while running is good and battery is good. Pretty sure it is the relay, I have been communicating with TST and Tripage, and bought a new LED relay will be installing next week to see if it fixes the issue.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob92icu View Post

So my solution was to buy some resistors and try those, those did not work (wired from positive to negative in series with the indicator). When the resistors were installed, the indicators would blink, but extremely dim with either high beam or low beam, although it did get brighter on low beam. Nonetheless, the indicators seemed to get continuously dimmer.
What size and power rating were the resistors, and how did you determine the resistors had a polarity?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoichiro_Honda View Post
What size and power rating were the resistors, and how did you determine the resistors had a polarity?
Resistors were 8 ohm 20 watt, and I just wired one end to the positive wire to the indicator, and the other end into the negative, did this to either indicator separately and then used two resistors at the same time, same result.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 12:48 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
then used two resistors at the same time, same result.
In parallel or series?

Update when you try the new relay.

Could try to measure the voltage drop over the resistors in each case.
Then calculate the current and swap back to the stock light and compare the current draw.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 01:16 AM
Moto GP Racer

LED doesn't draw as much current as your regular bulbs so it shouldn't contribute to dimming. Undo what you did and see if the stock blinkers have any issues. If it doesn't, I would bet on either you wired it up incorrectly or the product is defective.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
In parallel or series?

Update when you try the new relay.

Could try to measure the voltage drop over the resistors in each case.
Then calculate the current and swap back to the stock light and compare the current draw.
Yea, Ill definitely update when I install the relay. Pretty sure that will fix my problems.

And I just wired the resistor from positive to negative right before the indicator.

Quote:
LED doesn't draw as much current as your regular bulbs so it shouldn't contribute to dimming. Undo what you did and see if the stock blinkers have any issues. If it doesn't, I would bet on either you wired it up incorrectly or the product is defective.
Stock bulbs still blink fine. The lack of a power draw is what was making me confused about the dimmness. Hopefully the relay will help. Just need to figure out how the PO wired up the integrated LED taillight.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 05:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
And I just wired the resistor from positive to negative right before the indicator.
When you wired two resistors to a single side, did you connect them end to end (series), or double connect them (parallel)?

**Unless I'm misunderstanding what you did.

Hopefully the relay will do the trick.

Otherwise, it can be figured out.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-19-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
When you wired two resistors to a single side, did you connect them end to end (series), or double connect them (parallel)?

**Unless I'm misunderstanding what you did.

Hopefully the relay will do the trick.

Otherwise, it can be figured out.
Only wired one resistor to a single side, and its hard to tell without having a diagram, but I am pretty sure I connected them in series. Positive to positive indicator wire, negative to negative indicator wire, directly behind the indicator.

Yea, it will get figured out one way or another, blinkers are a pain in the a$$ sometimes haha.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Moto GP Racer

It depends on the manufacture as well. I used a proton for the front and Lockhart Philips blinkers for the rear. None of them gave me any issue. They all blinked like stock without the use of resistors or relays.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-21-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamzboy View Post
It depends on the manufacture as well. I used a proton for the front and Lockhart Philips blinkers for the rear. None of them gave me any issue. They all blinked like stock without the use of resistors or relays.
Very nice, they must have had resistors built in.

On another note, some good news. I installed the LED relay and it worked like a charm quick and in a hurry. Blinkers are now blinking, still dimmer than I would like, but the high beams are on and the bike is not running. Im glad thats over with.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:

Black And Gold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page