Led indicators flash speed question - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Led indicators flash speed question

First of all my bike is an Australian 2007 CBR600rr.

So ive spent a half hour reading all the threads I can find on the topic, and still dont completely understand as much as I want to.

So I get that replacing bulbs with LED's means they flash faster due to less resistance- this is the work of the relay circuitry, correct?

So you can either add some resistors in somewhere to get the system resistance back to spec, or get a new appropriate relay and simply replace old with new?

My questions-
1. Is the whole indicator system one single circuit? As in if I replace front indicators with LED, get a resistor to fix it, then replace rear indicators it will be out again? and I will need to correct again with a new resistor? Is it the same with replacing relays? Or is there just a simple one-off fix, if you have any number of LED indicators, you replace the relay, or wire in the resistor and it will be fixed? Or does each indicator set run on a seperate circuit, and you buy a resistor for the front indicators, and one for the rears?

2. I have read that US bikes have a 3-pin relay, which you can easily buy a replacement for from various stores. Australian bikes I hear have a 2-pin relay so these aftermarket fixes wont work. Correct? Is there a plug-and-play relay fix for Australian bikes?

3. If I was to follow the resistor option, where do I wire this resistor? Do I just snip a particular wire, solder it in the gap, and electric tape wrap it up? Is it that easy? Whereabouts?

4. I have front TST halo-2 flushmount LED indicators I fitted today. Now all indicators blink fast. I also have some rear flushmount LED indicators, and an integrated LED taillight I hope to fit down the track. Should I fit the rear indicators as well before I try to fix up the flashing speed?

Thanks for anyone who can help with these. Im still new to the bike.
Attila.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 07:26 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by attila.z View Post
First of all my bike is an Australian 2007 CBR600rr.

So ive spent a half hour reading all the threads I can find on the topic, and still dont completely understand as much as I want to.

So I get that replacing bulbs with LED's means they flash faster due to less resistance- this is the work of the relay circuitry, correct?

So you can either add some resistors in somewhere to get the system resistance back to spec, or get a new appropriate relay and simply replace old with new?

My questions-
1. Is the whole indicator system one single circuit? As in if I replace front indicators with LED, get a resistor to fix it, then replace rear indicators it will be out again? and I will need to correct again with a new resistor? Is it the same with replacing relays? Or is there just a simple one-off fix, if you have any number of LED indicators, you replace the relay, or wire in the resistor and it will be fixed? Or does each indicator set run on a seperate circuit, and you buy a resistor for the front indicators, and one for the rears?

2. I have read that US bikes have a 3-pin relay, which you can easily buy a replacement for from various stores. Australian bikes I hear have a 2-pin relay so these aftermarket fixes wont work. Correct? Is there a plug-and-play relay fix for Australian bikes?

3. If I was to follow the resistor option, where do I wire this resistor? Do I just snip a particular wire, solder it in the gap, and electric tape wrap it up? Is it that easy? Whereabouts?

4. I have front TST halo-2 flushmount LED indicators I fitted today. Now all indicators blink fast. I also have some rear flushmount LED indicators, and an integrated LED taillight I hope to fit down the track. Should I fit the rear indicators as well before I try to fix up the flashing speed?

Thanks for anyone who can help with these. Im still new to the bike.
Attila.
1) it's one circuit for all indicators, only one set of resistors needed for front and rear LED's.

2) Not having an Australian schematic in front of me I'm guessing a bit but I think you're confusing a 3 vs. 2 pin relay with the indicators themselves which the US has 3 pin front indicators as they act as running lights as well, Euro bikes don't and only have 2. Though in thinking about it the running lights turn off when blinking (I think) so the relay may be different, I just don't know. You'll have to wait to have an overseas bike owner verify this for you but 90% of replacement indicators don't have running lights so it would seem like a direct fit but I can't tell you for sure as opine not done it.

3) if you search here there are instructions or if you buy the prepackaged resistors, they have diagrams in them. I'd recommend buying the prepackaged ones as they do get hot and you want something that can handle it; high power resistors can be hard to find. If memory serves me the are wired in parallel to the indicators so across the signal but don't quote me, search. I wired them in the past to the rear signals which has the most room for extra stuff. Install them using solder, heat shrink and time; only use tape if needed.

4) do it now, it's better to make them work correctly now as the high speed flashing is annoying.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
attila.z (03-17-2014)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-17-2014, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the info.

So if I buy a resistor now with front LED indicators, and rear stock, wire it in parallel across one of the rear indicator plugs (just between the two wires like im trying to short circuit it right?), then the blink rate should be back to normal. Then when I add some rear LED indicators on too, it will stay normal?

Is that correct?

By prepackaged resistor do you mean a CBR specifc kit from an online vendor, or a resistor you cna buy from Jaycar or any electrics store that comes in a sort of case? Like those white rectangle ones you mean?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 01:23 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,058 Times in 861 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
think of the resistor as a bulb.

when you change a bulb out for an led your circuit load goes way down, so in order to increase the load on the circuit you put a resistor (load), in parallel with your led, this increases the circuit current and decreases the flash rate.

you need a resistor for each bulb you change out as the resistors are sized to the bulbs they replace.

make sense?

just unplug your stock flasher relay and see what it is. it'll either be a two pin or four pin. if your bike has hazard lights (all signals flashing) then you need a four pin, if not, you need a two.

it's about that simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
attila.z (03-18-2014)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 07:14 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by attila.z View Post
Thanks for the info.

So if I buy a resistor now with front LED indicators, and rear stock, wire it in parallel across one of the rear indicator plugs (just between the two wires like im trying to short circuit it right?), then the blink rate should be back to normal. Then when I add some rear LED indicators on too, it will stay normal?

Is that correct?

By prepackaged resistor do you mean a CBR specifc kit from an online vendor, or a resistor you cna buy from Jaycar or any electrics store that comes in a sort of case? Like those white rectangle ones you mean?
Yes, in my past experiences with replacing rear only as well as both signals, your above statements are correct. I did verify and forgot to update my first response that the resistors are in parallel across the signals.

And yeah, a generic kit with the long rectangular resistors work the best as they are made to dissipate lots of heat; while regular 3-4 watt resistors are easy to find, the 20 watt ones aren't.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I have hazards, so will have a 4-pin relay.
I bought one off eBay just then that said it was specific to 4-pin cbr600 2007-2012 models.

That should do the trick :)
Save me some time finding resistors and wiring them in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page