Bike stalls and loses power - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bike stalls and loses power

I have a 2007 cbr 600 and I've been having some problems with it recently. The bike wouldn't start one day and after a bit of messing around with it I figured it must be fouled plugs. It has around 24k miles and I'm not sure if the previous owner had ever changed them. Me and my buddies (mostly my buddies) changed them out and after a lot of cranking the thing finally starts up. During all of the cranking my battery died and we had to jump it at one point. I let it idle for a little while but it was close to midnight so I didn't get to ride it around until the next day. The next morning me and my friends go for a ride and about 2 minutes after we leave I start having problems. I'm going about 50 and I'm keeping the RPMs a little higher than usual so that the battery will charge. All of a sudden the bike just seems to lose power and drop to idle. Twisting the throttle did nothing at all. The bike didn't die completely it just idled and after I pulled over I couldn't get it to rev. After turning it off and back on it was fine for the rest of the day. Fast forward about a week and my bike stalls completely at a stoplight which never has happened. It cranks back up and then dies again when I'm almost to my destination. It wouldn't start the second time for about 5 minutes. I left it for a few hours and then tried to ride it home. It died twice again and wouldn't crank back up. Sorry for the long story I just wanted to include all of the details. My bike has a Jardine slip on exhaust, power commander, K&N air filter, OEM plugs. Anyone know what might be causing me problems?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
hmm i know my friend had a similar issue with his 03 Gixxer 6, and when he replaced his battery it solved the issue. If your battery is almost dead (but has enough juice to start the bike) it loads down the charging system and may weaken your ignition.. I dont know this for a fact but its worth a try to have your battery load tested..

were the plugs gaped corectly? are all the wires seated properly?

i dont know if these have coil packs or not but you may have a bad coil pack.

Im not familiar with the ignition system with these bikes so im talking generally.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Unplug your power commander and see what happens

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:45 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had the same problem on my old 03cbr600rr i had years ago and it was the power commander that was causing the issue. Unplugged the pc, solved problem, Called the pc company, explained that the pc is defective and they sent me a brand new one and it was all good ... Hope that solves your issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page