Trouble Starting 05 cbr600rr - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trouble Starting 05 cbr600rr

Hello, I have read a few threads but can't pinpoint the best place to start troubleshooting.

Bike won't start. Sat in garage for 4-6 months over winter. Added a small amount of seafoam to gas.

When key is in on position headlights do not come on. When kill switch is turned to run position, do not hear fuel pump priming. Battery fully charged and I believe to be good.

After trying to start for an hour, bike started once, ran for 10-15 min, geared up to ride and just before putting into 1st to take off, I turned high beam on which killed bike instantly.

Does this sound like a short? Bad relay or fuses? Rectifier?

Desperately need help. I have limited knowledge on bike mechanics but am good at figuring things out.

Thanks!

gauge lights turn on
fuses ok
battery fully charged with 12V charger
tail light works, horn works
switched fan relay with fuel pump relay, nothing

Last edited by Mighty84; 03-23-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

*when fuel pump is in run position do not hear fuel pump priming
Fuses ok
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Gage lights turn on, on dash.
Guess I'll mess with relays next.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 03:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Your high beam headlight wire could be shorted out against the frame or something similar. Check for shorts in the wiring harness, and near/underneath the gas tank.

Love my 03 600RR

Build Thread:
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=394793

Black And Gold!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Knee Dragger

I know you said you believe your battery is ok, but make sure you KNOW your battery is good. Always rule out the simple things first.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 12:09 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Id start with the battery, put it on a trickle charger and see what happens, you should hear the fuel pump prime everytime you switch the kill switch so you might have a problem with the fuel pump
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgswol View Post
I know you said you believe your battery is ok, but make sure you KNOW your battery is good. Always rule out the simple things first.
Solid advice. I tested voltage today, 12.5 volts when key on and it drops to just above 11 volts when I press the starter button.

I know I said I checked relays, but being new to mechanics and very naive, I don't believe I tested them correctly. Just test all 4 slots in each 3 plugs for voltage and this is result:
forward most plug: no voltage in all 4 slots (i'm assuming 1 or 2 are grounds?)
middle plug: 12.5 volts in one slot and nothing in rest
rear most plug: 12.5 volts in one, 11.8 volts in another, remaining two nothing

(all 3 of these plugs with 4 wires going into each say '12v 20a' on front)
Does this give anyone some ideas on what may be wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike_1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	117866  

Last edited by Mighty84; 03-26-2014 at 08:00 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:01 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

You need to get your battery load tested. You either have to have a multi-meter that has that function built into it, or get a separate device. A battery that is on it's way out can still read normal voltages for short period of time.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:18 PM
Knee Dragger

similar thing happed to my bike had problems starting and battery was somewhat new but since bike sat for many months it drained, after charging it overnight it was fine and bike started again no problem, but next day same thing happened,got a new battery and solved the problem(i get them on ebay around $30, use it for a year and get a new one next year).
You got your bike started so thats a good sign you dont have any serious problem.
Also check on rectifier and stator)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
You need to get your battery load tested. You either have to have a multi-meter that has that function built into it, or get a separate device. A battery that is on it's way out can still read normal voltages for short period of time.
Will do that now. So, even though it put out decent voltage and didn't fire up, the battery could still be culprit?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustinovas View Post
similar thing happed to my bike had problems starting and battery was somewhat new but since bike sat for many months it drained, after charging it overnight it was fine and bike started again no problem, but next day same thing happened,got a new battery and solved the problem(i get them on ebay around $30, use it for a year and get a new one next year).
You got your bike started so thats a good sign you dont have any serious problem.
Also check on rectifier and stator)
At least you could continuously get it started after a charge. Mine won't start whatsoever, even with a good charge (according to my multimeter).

I understand that I may not have the best battery until I know for sure from a load test, but it is currently putting out the right voltage to start my bike but it doesn't start. Doesn't this rule out battery?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Load test said good battery.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 10:00 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

You have a lot of things going on, so it's hard to sort through the issues to find what problems are related.

With kill switch in the run position, when you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump prime? If not, press on your kill switch and move your finger around and listen for the fuel pump. Kill switches connectors get old and stop completing the circuit after a while.

If that doesn't do anything, I'd be checking for a short somewhere based on your high beams not coming on.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
You have a lot of things going on, so it's hard to sort through the issues to find what problems are related.

With kill switch in the run position, when you turn the key on, do you hear the fuel pump prime? If not, press on your kill switch and move your finger around and listen for the fuel pump. Kill switches connectors get old and stop completing the circuit after a while.

If that doesn't do anything, I'd be checking for a short somewhere based on your high beams not coming on.
Thanks for helping me. No I don't hear fuel pump. And, not only does my high beam come on, my regular headlight doesn't either. I'll check connections on kill switch next time I get some free time. Actually enjoying this, sucks my bike doesn't work but I knew nothing about it until I started dealing with this and reading thread after thread. Still trying to put all the pieces together in my head though of how a bike works.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Training Wheel Hero

do a continuity test on the tip sensor, get a multimeter if you don't already have one. from memory the 3 relays should all be the same, if you suspect the fuel pump relay is faulty, swap it with the other relays and see how it goes.

gl in your search! eletrical gremlins are the worst to diagnose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page