2007 600RR Not Starting Part 2 - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 2007 600RR Not Starting Part 2

Hey fellas,

I'm back here for some advice, I originally had purchased this bike and it had been sitting for a while, long story short the bike was cranking but wouldn't start, I pulled out the fuel pump, cleaned it and had to replace the wires and I got it to run.

Last week I was out riding and at about 120 the bike bogged down as I felt it I quickly pulled over to the emergency lane, I checked the fuses and everything was fine, I opened the tank and turned the key on and I didn't hear the fuel pump priming again, I figured my fix only worked temporarily.

Some bikers pulled over and gave me a hand, they had a landscaping trailer and no straps, the only way was to lay the bike down on a big rolled up carpet they had, the bike was OFF when I layed it down.

Today I received the a new fuel pump I ordered online, and I installed it, fuel pump is priming just fine, everything looks good but she just won't start, just cranks and nothing.

Right now I have the battery charging, and I am trying to figure it out if it's possible for the Bank Angle Sensor to have been tripped by laying it down even though the bike was off?

Bike is on Neutral, side stand down, and I don't use the kill switch anymore since I was told they get messed up real easily.

The bike hasn't had any other issues so at this point I can't think of anything else that could be wrong, can anyone throw any ideas at me?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
try starting it by treating the engine as if it were flooded

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
The Following User Says Thank You to Bridge_Jumper For This Useful Post:
pajsh (03-26-2014)
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks dude, giving this a try now, will report back.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-26-2014, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

No luck with the flooded engine procedure, I'm going to go get a multi meter since I can't find mine right now, I'm going to check the fuel pump relay next, but wouldn't the fuel relay be working fine if the fuel pump is priming?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ruled out relay, I didn't want to take apart the fuel system, but I guess I'm going to have to keep digging, if anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. Thanks
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 10:30 AM
Training Wheel Hero

if it was laid on its side check the BAS
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones View Post
if it was laid on its side check the BAS
Wouldn't the BAS be ruled out if my fuel pump is priming?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 10:41 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajsh View Post
Wouldn't the BAS be ruled out if my fuel pump is priming?
correct .

2W1R - IceTitan
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Moto GP Racer

I'd keep trying to get it started by feathering the throttle. The plugs might just be fouled, or it's possible the fuel leaked out of the fuel rail while the bike was on it's side and are just air locked (it's happened to me a few times over the past few winters, no idea how it happens) but it eventually fires

2W1R - IceTitan
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
I'd keep trying to get it started by feathering the throttle. The plugs might just be fouled, or it's possible the fuel leaked out of the fuel rail while the bike was on it's side and are just air locked (it's happened to me a few times over the past few winters, no idea how it happens) but it eventually fires
I'll keep trying for a bit more, if not I'll have to pull the plugs and check.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 11:58 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Hey man.

What makes you think you're not getting fuel?

I see you replaced your fuel pump because it wasn't priming. Now it primes. I'm willing to bet its fine.

3 things lead to ignition. Spark, fuel and compression.

Check spark on all four cylinders. If that doesn't work, check fueling (visually check to see if your primary injectors are putting fuel in your ports)

If you're getting spark and fuel, check compression.

Doing all 3 tests should only take around an hour. I would check spark first since you don't have to actually remove anything to get your plugs out. And I would do compression while you're doing plugs. Then take air box and **** off to check fuel.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
The Following User Says Thank You to Ldn For This Useful Post:
pajsh (03-27-2014)
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldn View Post
Hey man.

What makes you think you're not getting fuel?

I see you replaced your fuel pump because it wasn't priming. Now it primes. I'm willing to bet its fine.

3 things lead to ignition. Spark, fuel and compression.

Check spark on all four cylinders. If that doesn't work, check fueling (visually check to see if your primary injectors are putting fuel in your ports)

If you're getting spark and fuel, check compression.

Doing all 3 tests should only take around an hour. I would check spark first since you don't have to actually remove anything to get your plugs out. And I would do compression while you're doing plugs. Then take air box and **** off to check fuel.
I pulled out one sparkplug from the right side, I tested for spark and no luck, I guess I found my problem, plug is fouled with oil residue so I guess as stated by Bridge_Jumper I'm guessing when I layed it on it's side to tow it for a few blocks out of the highway oil got to my plugs and I'm getting no spark, compression should be fine bike was running great when my fuel pump died, I'm heading out now to pick up 4 new plugs, I'll report back as soon as I put em in.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:22 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
I pulled out one sparkplug from the right side, I tested for spark and no luck, I guess I found my problem, plug is fouled with oil residue so I guess as stated by Bridge_Jumper I'm guessing when I layed it on it's side to tow it for a few blocks out of the highway oil got to my plugs and I'm getting no spark, compression should be fine bike was running great when my fuel pump died, I'm heading out now to pick up 4 new plugs, I'll report back as soon as I put em in.

I would check all 4 before you go. Since you gotta take them out to change them anyway.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
I would check all 4 before you go. Since you gotta take them out to change them anyway.
Bike has 11K so I figured I would change them all anyways, all of them were in rough shape...

The plugs ended up not being the problem, and none of my injectors are spraying gas, I took them out and I have no clog on the fuel line, and the bike started when I added gas manually, so now off to clean the injectors.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok I need some ideas,

Fuel line and fuel rail has fuel and pressure, it feels like the injectors won't open up, when I jump them directly with the battery they open up (I had to do that to clean them).

I cleaned out all the injectors, now when I crank the bike they are not spraying fuel? I tested the plugs and they all have voltage, what can the issue be?
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Ok I need some ideas,

Fuel line and fuel rail has fuel and pressure, it feels like the injectors won't open up, when I jump them directly with the battery they open up (I had to do that to clean them).

I cleaned out all the injectors, now when I crank the bike they are not spraying fuel? I tested the plugs and they all have voltage, what can the issue be?

First, it is NOT recommended to "clean" your injectors. They are very fragile and sensitive items.

Ok, so on to the troubleshooting.
Which injectors? Upper and lower? Your upper injectors don't spray when you start the bike, your lower injectors will spray into your ports when you try and crank your bike. If your injectors aren't spraying and you have fuel in your lines, there's a good chance you will need to replace those injectors.

Quick test, hold your throttle open and spray a little fuel into your cylinders with a squirt bottle. Try and start your bike. If it sounds like the bike wants to start you definitely have a fueling problem. It's highly unlikely that all 4 injectors stop shooting at the same time. So as long as your hoses are in good condition I'm going to guess either electrical or pump.

If it doesn't sound like the bike wants to start, do a compression test.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ldn For This Useful Post:
pajsh (03-29-2014)
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 03:05 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,056 Times in 860 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Do you have a power commander or similar?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
First, it is NOT recommended to "clean" your injectors. They are very fragile and sensitive items.

Ok, so on to the troubleshooting.
Which injectors? Upper and lower? Your upper injectors don't spray when you start the bike, your lower injectors will spray into your ports when you try and crank your bike. If your injectors aren't spraying and you have fuel in your lines, there's a good chance you will need to replace those injectors.

Quick test, hold your throttle open and spray a little fuel into your cylinders with a squirt bottle. Try and start your bike. If it sounds like the bike wants to start you definitely have a fueling problem. It's highly unlikely that all 4 injectors stop shooting at the same time. So as long as your hoses are in good condition I'm going to guess either electrical or pump.

If it doesn't sound like the bike wants to start, do a compression test.
Upper injectors are the ones I cleaned, now I see why they are not spraying... They are not supposed to! I feel dumb now lol... anyways I failed to mention that bike did start when I manually added some gas into the ports, so I guess I will keep trouble shooting and get down to the lower 4 injectors.

BTW Bike is completely stock, no power commander, or anything else.

I just replaced the pump, unless the pump I got is faulty.

Last edited by pajsh; 03-29-2014 at 03:16 PM.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Two injectors were not spraying out of the four from the bottom, I cleaned them out, and now they are all spraying. I hooked up the injectors back in, I hooked up the ECU and everything except the MAP sensor since I'm trying to start the bike without putting the airbox back in to make sure I found the issue...

She's still not starting, is the MAP sensor necessary to be hooked up in order for the bike to run?
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 05:07 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Two injectors were not spraying out of the four from the bottom, I cleaned them out, and now they are all spraying. I hooked up the injectors back in, I hooked up the ECU and everything except the MAP sensor since I'm trying to start the bike without putting the airbox back in to make sure I found the issue...

She's still not starting, is the MAP sensor necessary to be hooked up in order for the bike to run?

Yes

10char

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Ok everything is ruled out now, still won't start, has to be the pump I purchased that is not pumping enough pressure. I have one of my buddies coming tomorrow with the gauge so we can test the pressure in the fuel line. I'll post the results... Ugh really wanted to ride tonight this sucks...
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 07:41 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,056 Times in 860 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Everything is never ruled out. Lol
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
Everything is never ruled out. Lol
Lol I know, but I knew that the bike was running in excellent shape, and how it turned off it had to had been the repaired pump...

After changing new plugs, cleaning all injectors and still not starting I knew it the only thing left was the used pump I bought from eBay... Well sure enough I repaired the original pump that broke down just for testing purposes, and she fired right up! Took her on a 10 mile run on the highway and she's running smooth again.

Lesson learned, don't buy used parts from eBay. I'll be buying a new pump online before the one I have gives out again.

Thanks to everyone for their help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page