Probably fried...07 instrument panel troubleshooting/testing - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Probably fried...07 instrument panel troubleshooting/testing

So my instrument panel is more than likely fried, but I'm actually curious to know if there's a way to specifically test this particular issue.

In short, everything was 100% great. Bike's been sitting for nearly two years though (another story) but covered and relatively dry. It was in a somewhat humid environment, however, it's been in a much dryer environment since October. Up until last week when I gave it an oil change and fired it up, it was OK.

I had an issue with some running lights not working. The main headlamp wiring for whatever reason wasn't getting any power. After removing the fairings, everything started to automagically work, though my instrument panel started exhibiting issues.

In short (probably a pun somewhere), tach doesn't sweep, and nothing is displayed. Signal, neutral, FI, HESD, and high beam lamps still work and the lighting itself is OK.

I've got constant power for the clock as I should and the main power also works. Grounds seem to be OK as well. However, what's interesting is this...

I test for continuity of the panel itself, of which I would expect across all its grounds. I get it for a split second, then it dies. What's interesting is when I reconnect at that, the thing springs to life for all of a second or two, then dies again. I can then test continuity again, get it for a split second...rinse and repeat.

It is modded by MOTY, lighting and gear selection, and has worked flawlessly until just now. I tested a few things that I could on the board itself, namely a few resistors and diodes and a few resistors were reading slightly off. The number for example should indicate its resistance. In a few cases, some were reading much lower than what they should have been. That being the case, I'm suspecting the thing somehow just fried itself, by way of some other wiring issues (hence the headlamp power issue) or something else that I haven't found yet. No fuses had blown at this point.

So I'm curious to know if there is any particular way to test this specific issue, or shall I just say to hell with it and find another, at the risk of course I still have some underlying issue that's not resolved.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2014, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Anyone? Bueller?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-17-2014, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Big 'ol bump.

Going on a limb here...

Does anyone know of a schematic for these clusters? I've got one for the bike itself, but need one for the cluster. It's definitely the gauge itself as another one has been popped on the bike and all is great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page