Strange electrical, maybe kickstand issue? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Strange electrical, maybe kickstand issue?

I'm STRUGGLING to get a hold of what the hell is going on with this bike. So I bought the bike lowered, unlowered the bike and swapped the kickstand out.

When I try to start the bike in nuetral with the kickstand down, SOMETIMES it'll start, but it seems like the bike is lacking power. I have a brand new battery in the bike and it starts fine with the kickstand up. If I start it up, then put the kickstand down, it'll run, but eventually will die.

When I try to start in nuetral and it doesnt start, the FI and HESD lights flicker, not blink then when I let go of the ignition button, both lights stay on. I thought the issue was a dead battery, but apparently not. I DID install new HID's, but can't think of any way they'd be related.

Please tell me someone's had this issue before and it's a simple fix, I tried searching but no resolutions on any threads with similar issues.

Last edited by straightsix; 04-14-2014 at 07:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 09:22 PM

Feedback Score: 91 reviews
Never heard of anything like this. What year is the bike? While the bike starts to die can you keep it going with throttle? See if it's a power loss or a fuel loss. ECM maybe but the kickstand sensor shouldn't do any of that. Maybe bypass it to troubleshoot and eliminate that as the culprit.

http://tripageled.com/store/
Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
Dual low / Dual High beam led headlights. OEM appearance
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=236
Integrated Gear Indicator installed inside your cluster
http://tripageled.com/store/index.ph...product_id=116
The Following User Says Thank You to tripage For This Useful Post:
straightsix (04-14-2014)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripage View Post
Never heard of anything like this. What year is the bike? While the bike starts to die can you keep it going with throttle? See if it's a power loss or a fuel loss. ECM maybe but the kickstand sensor shouldn't do any of that. Maybe bypass it to troubleshoot and eliminate that as the culprit.
This one is a tough one to explain, I think I need to go in order of the work I did to the bike... at least the stuff that could be in play.

Bought the bike, changed the levers.

Unlowered the bike, changed the wishbone back to the stock wish bone, pushed the front forks back through to lift the front. Used a kickstand from an 06 cbr, i thinkkkk... and bolted the stand piece to the bracket and sensor that was on the shortened kickstand.

Also, the same day I installed the wishbone and kickstand, I installed a PCV. The bike started and seemed to run fine, until about 5 minutes into riding the bike died and wouldn't start. I disconnected the PCV and the bike turned over. Rode home that day (last sunday) then went to VA for work.

I got back Friday and the bike didn't turn over... I have a gorilla alarm installed in the bike. I roll started the bike but the battery never charged enough to start it on its own. I trickle charged the bike then everything seemed fine. The HID's were failing to start, I figured the battery was almost gone. I changed the HID's out with some new ballasts. While riding after installing the HID's, I noticed something strange, the bike would seem to not want to idle when at low RPM, or in nuetral. I would hit the ignition, and the F1 and HESD would flicker. Turn the key off then back on and it would start up. Ended up riding home non-stop and revving like an ******* at lights to keep it from dying.

Changed the battery today and the issue still exists, I turn the bike over, idle it in neutral with the kickstand up, then when I put the kickstand down it starts to run like crap then eventually die....

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I don't know exactly how the kill switches work, electronics-wise, but it SEEMS/FEELS like when the bike is in neutral, and the kickstand is down, the kill-switch is KINDA engaged, sometimessssss it'll turn over, but the HESD and F1 lights might flash.... I think I need to video tape this and put it up here for you guys to see.

I'm new to the forum but I'm pretty handy with bikes/cars. My last bike was a GSXR600, it was stolen, I did a TON of research on 600's and ended up here :). LOVE the 600RR!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Is there anyway this could be a blown fuse or something? The question is... why does the bike have less power, or seem to have a kill switch partially engaged or something, only when the kickstand is down?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:54 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It could be as simple as you didn't tighten your ground on the battery maybe? Check grounds anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to AleksV For This Useful Post:
straightsix (04-14-2014)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksV View Post
It could be as simple as you didn't tighten your ground on the battery maybe? Check grounds anyway
It happened prior to changing the battery, with the old battery fully charged off a trickle charger. The new batt is cranking it harder so it starts up with the kickstand down and the bike in neutral. That's why I say its like a "semi-kill-switch" is enabled. Like the electrical system says no, but the motor says yes lol.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Had one more idea last night... when I installed the gorilla alarm, which has a tilt sensor, I had to hack the thing in half and put one half under each seat. I'm thinking maybe it's not the kickstand that makes it run funny, but the lean of the bike... Like the tilt sensor is shorted out? I dunno, I'm just taking shots in the dark at this point....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-15-2014, 12:04 PM

I would remove the gorilla and the pcv to make sure everything is good. It's easier to simplify with the number of issues that might be causing it. The run/stop will kill the bike, it's not going to effect the idle. BYPASS the kickstand sensor to start with. If this is the problem it will be fixed by bypassing it. It shouldn't be the problem though. PCV could be the problem if you have the wrong map or something not plugged in or in the wrong spot. Could be a pinched hose from raising the tank. What map do you have on the pcv? What do you have on the bike "exhaust/filter" Kickstand is just a ground loop. If it's down and in gear it will kill the bike, doesn't effect the idle.

Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

SOLUTION: DAMN this one was a bish to diagnose... So there's a bunch of grounds right in front of the throttle position sensor. You need to remove those when to get to the throttle position sensor. When I put the grounds back, I never tightened with a wrench... When I had the kickstand down, the bike was also leaning left, making the grounds lose connection. When the kickstand was up, I was sitting on the bike and the grounds had just enough contact to start the bike lol. Jesus I was killing myself over this and found out the issue was my dumbass....
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I'm sure if someone tells me what each of those grounds does it will ALL make sense in my head. I'm pretty sure one is for the kickstand position sensor.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-21-2014, 07:13 PM

Yes, one of those is the ground for the kickstand. It all makes sense now!!!!!

Owner
Tristan Page
[email protected]
[email protected]
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2014, 05:25 AM
Training Wheel Hero

I"m having the exact same issue. Where on the bike did you find these grounds. I never messed with it but I just bought this bike a few months ago and this problem came up last week. got any pix or anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page