Dull knocking sound , very concerned - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dull knocking sound , very concerned

Hi I have recently bought an 03 600rr with 18700 miles on it , seems to have had a fairly tough life but the aftermarket repsol paint reeled me in. Firstly I had to add nearly a litre of oil to get it to the correct level, and numerous other jobs , the guy was an animal! However it's developed a knock , not evident on cold start up each day but evident every other time it's started during a day where the engine hasn't had chance to become stone cold again. Seems to disappear when engine is nice and hot ,I've just done the APE cct upgrade , (the knock was there before and after cct change )oil change (no filter) silkolene 10/40 semi , the knock may have started after the oil change but I cannot be sure .The sound seems to be more prominent at the back of the motor ,and becomes undetectable as revs rise above 2500. I've tried using a piece of wooden dowel to the ear to pin point it, but haven't had much luck. I've done a lot of online searches , especially this site,and the closest thing I've found that vaguely sounds similar , though a lot , lot louder than the noise I've got is a 'spun ' bearing . Performance is ok, running temp is ok , no smoke from exhaust except the norm, using clutch makes no difference, it's not really noticeable under load
Any ideas, or is it bye bye cbr?
Any help much appreciated as I really don't want it to go/die
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

CCT is/was not the problem.

is this with the bike stationary? if when moving check your chain tension.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngy View Post
CCT is/was not the problem.

is this with the bike stationary? if when moving check your chain tension.
Stationary and moving

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Compare it with a similar cbr, could be in your head...all i can think off is replacing the plugs, filter, check for rubbish in the filter housing or ram port.... Other than that you have to crack the case open...it may help if you can find someone with an industrial grade stethoscope like SKF. Or buy it? ( spare 1K USD??)

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2009 cbr 600rr
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh90 View Post
Compare it with a similar cbr, could be in your head...all i can think off is replacing the plugs, filter, check for rubbish in the filter housing or ram port.... Other than that you have to crack the case open...it may help if you can find someone with an industrial grade stethoscope like SKF. Or buy it? ( spare 1K USD??)

I'll do as you suggest and see what I can find , fingers crossed
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 10:20 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I cannot see that plugs and filters will resolve this if it is a real issue.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:19 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngy View Post
I cannot see that plugs and filters will resolve this if it is a real issue.
True, but if its combustion or rotating-engine-parts related, what else can he do with opening up the engine?

P.s. I retract the filter, i meant to check around it for debris..

2009 cbr 600rr

Last edited by sameh90; 04-26-2014 at 11:39 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2014, 11:37 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

To OP, you seem pretty confident its from the engine; but dont forget the bike naturally runs a bit rougher when cold, and since you're not getting the noise consistently, i largely suspect its something loose around the engine, that sometimes rattles with the added vibration of a cold start. Usually the simplest fixes are overlooked. I reckon you should double check that everything is fixed in place before you go on with replacing parts... Start with your exhaust pipes and EGCV ( not sure if your bike has one :S), then the battery tray (you could have dropped something there... and it can be pita to find).. No luck? Strip the plastics and look around for dropped bolts, loose connecters out of their fixtureds, loose ecu or other harness parts, or the fairings stays. One thing you can then try is slowly open the air filter box with the engine running (preferably in a dust free environment), if its from inside the engine, it should get pretty loud as you do so... Don't leave it open for long though, you're effectively feeding the engine unfiltered air....best of luck!

2009 cbr 600rr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page