Noise at certain RPM - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Noise at certain RPM

I have searched online and looked through previous posts on engine noises and came up with nothing. I've ridden around and put pressure on different areas like the fuel tank cover, windscreen, etc... and the rattle noise is still present.

This noise only occurs at 6100 rpm or there abouts. It is not gear or speed dependant just RPM. Anyother RPM and everything is fine. If I accelerate past that point rather quickly the noise is not present. Noise is only present when cruising and I hover around that RPM. I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced this. I'd like to try and figure it out and fix myself before having to take my bike to the dealer.

Last time I took my bike to the dealer, was to have my frame replaced due to damage from theft. After picking up my bike I started noticing all the small things they damaged. I complained but they denied it everything and blamed it on theft damage. They broke tabs on the fairings, bracket for clutch cable by the triple tree was never put back on, throttlecable broke a few days later, exhaust was not connected, etc... etc... So taking it to the dealership is a last resort, I'd rather just keep riding it around.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:22 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

That sounds like a dealer around here. Bad deal. Hopefully you get this resolved. Hard to offer any insight when you can't hear the noise first hand. Can you narrow down where about the rattle is a little?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"Opinions are like A**holes. Everyone has one."

- Untamed Entity -
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Noise is heard from directly underneath when riding. unable to reproduce the noise when bike is stationary. I haven't tried it with the bike on stands, but I will be replacing my tires this weekend so I am going to try. I would have to say though that the noise seems more towards to right side than the left but hard to tell. I'll take a listen again when I ride again after it stops raining.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Training Wheel Hero

How many miles on the bike?
Have you tried searching CCT rattle noise.etc...
Cam chain tensioner could be your rattle.
The Following User Says Thank You to RR2D2 For This Useful Post:
Untamed Entity (04-30-2014)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I thought about the timing chain tensioner. I am torn between a stock unit or an aftermarket one. I don't want to replace a part and it not fix the problem.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 06:44 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

does the rattle occur on an opening throttle, closing throttle or steady throttle? if it's the CCT it will not happen when loading the engine.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Noise will occur at any engine load. It is RPM specific. Wether I am cruising, accelerating, decelarating as long as its that RPM it will make a noise. When I accelerate past it as I am getting up to speed, I do not hear the noise since I am revving past it rather quickly. I just took the bike out this weekend for a short ride from Washington DC to Annapolis, MD. It was all highway miles so I could test out different scenarios for the noise. Noise occurs at 6100 RPM load or no load as long as it's within that RPM range it will rattle.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 12:05 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

does not sound like CCT then.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I didn't think it was a chain tensioner. It almost sounds like some sort of exhaust rattle. I hope I can figure this thing out. Will anything detrimental happen if I run the bike on a stand? I want to see if I can put the bike in gear give it a load
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 05:37 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

nothing detrimental at all. just don't stick your fingers in the chain.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I have figured out the noise. The catalyst in the stock exhaust manifold is rattling. I stopped by the dealer and they confirmed. Unfortunately I am out of warranty. Warranty was only good for 5 years or 30,000 miles and I am over both. So I am looking into replacing the whole exhaust with two brothers or yoshimura. What I would like to know is what other parts will I need to complete this, like a fuel management setup, CEL fixers for the exhaust valve, etc...

Thanks
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Pocketbike Racer

dude this is slightly off the topic of your noise you are hearing, but my bracket for my clutch cable is broken too. have you found a repair for this? I've tried just about everything and nothing keeps the clutch cable from riding up in front of my gauges. it begins to ark as soon as i engage the clutch and i constantly have to feed it back down.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I ended up using zip ties. I actually used zip ties for fiber cables and tied them to the throttle cables in such a fashion that they stay put and so far I haven't had them crawl up and block the gauges. I'll try and take a pic and upload it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page