Questions regarding Slipping Clutch - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions regarding Slipping Clutch

So my bike has 22100 miles, and on my last few commutes I noticed the clutch was slipping in first gear. I am assuming this is the clutch slipping anyway.. I don't have any previous experience with the issue.

What happens when I try to take off in 1st is that something studders and knocks a bit and the bike doesn't accelerate as quickly.

So assuming these are indications of a worn clutch, is 22k miles the normal lifespan for a clutch? I bought the bike with 9k and I don't know how it was treated by the previous owner, but I haven't had any other mechanical issues with it until now.

How long can I expect the clutch to last before it fails to engage completely in 1st?

If the clutch completely fails to engage on me when I'm out somewhere, will it still engage in 2nd?

Does this necessarily mean the clutch will need to be replaced, or is it possibly something else that can be repaired?

This is why things are so cheap from China:
http://static.video.qq.com/TPout.swf...id=r010673xh67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:36 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The clutch is a service item that will eventually go out. It really depends on how its been used. Some could last up to 50k miles I believe, but if you drag race or launch off every light then it will be significantly less.

Once the clutch engages and you're moving, if you give it a good bit of throttle do you notice that your speed seems to increase a lot slower than your RPMs? That is another characteristic of a worn clutch.

What concerns me about your description is the fact that it studders and knocks. I've never had to replace a clutch either, but from the knowledge I've gathered here, you typically just end up revving really hard to get it away from the line until your worn clutch engages. The knocking and studdering doesn't seem right.

But that being said, you don't replace the entire clutch assembly. There are steel plates, friction plates, and springs that may be needing replaced. Typically runs a little over 100$ for a new pack of plates I believe. That's not to say you couldn't have broken something, and based on your knocking and studdering problem, I would give it more investigation before you ride it again.

'03 600 RR - ~33,000 miles (14,000 from me)
Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:38 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
When was the last time you changed your oil?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
The clutch is a service item that will eventually go out. It really depends on how its been used. Some could last up to 50k miles I believe, but if you drag race or launch off every light then it will be significantly less.

Once the clutch engages and you're moving, if you give it a good bit of throttle do you notice that your speed seems to increase a lot slower than your RPMs? That is another characteristic of a worn clutch.

What concerns me about your description is the fact that it studders and knocks. I've never had to replace a clutch either, but from the knowledge I've gathered here, you typically just end up revving really hard to get it away from the line until your worn clutch engages. The knocking and studdering doesn't seem right.

But that being said, you don't replace the entire clutch assembly. There are steel plates, friction plates, and springs that may be needing replaced. Typically runs a little over 100$ for a new pack of plates I believe. That's not to say you couldn't have broken something, and based on your knocking and studdering problem, I would give it more investigation before you ride it again.
I forgot to mention that I mostly ride in the city, so I'm sure thats a pretty big factor in the lifespan in terms of mileage.
The knocking and studdering only occurs while the clutch is engaging.. once I get rolling it goes away.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say spread, but that sounds like what I'm experiencing..

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
When was the last time you changed your oil?

I have it serviced every spring/early summer. I haven't changed it yet this year though, planning to do so soon.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:22 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback71854 View Post
I forgot to mention that I mostly ride in the city, so I'm sure thats a pretty big factor in the lifespan in terms of mileage.
The knocking and studdering only occurs while the clutch is engaging.. once I get rolling it goes away.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say spread, but that sounds like what I'm experiencing..
Just because you're doing city miles doesn't determine how you use the clutch really, but that's beside the point.

This is pure speculation, so take it at face value. If you're getting a weird knocking and studdering when you're engaging the clutch and you're concerned that it may have been going out for a while now, you may have worn a plate so thin that something broke and is moving around inside there. But I always like to eliminate the worst case scenario so that is where my brain jumps to.

To check my suggestion would require you to pull the clutch cover which means draining the oil, so if you're due for an oil change you might just take her out of commission until you get this issue figured out. Otherwise you might end up wasting an oil change. If you can tell that it takes a lot more revving to get moving and your acceleration doesn't match your RPMs, it's probably a safe bet that you'll need to replace the friction plates at a minimum. When you (or your mechanic) are doing that, look around for something that seems out of place.

You have me curious though. Can you reproduce the knock/studder with the bike on the side stand or with the clutch lever pulled? Maybe the two symptoms are unrelated?

Yoshimura RS-5 Slip on - Arrow Stainless Headers - BMC Street Filter - PCV - EK 520 Chain on Driven Sprockets - CoreMoto Stainless Lines (F+R) - Dan Kyle PAIR Delete - The2Wheels Shorty Levers - Vortex V3 Rearsets - Woodcraft Frame Sliders & Bar Ends - Woodcraft Stator and Clutch Covers - Cox Radiator Guard - Renthal Dual Compound Grips - 1000RR Kill Switch and Throttle Housing - TST IT and FE - Proton Flushmounts

Last edited by G Money; 05-01-2014 at 03:25 PM.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 03:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

22k miles? I'd expect 40k at least.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I just did a little experimenting..

The knocking only occurred when I was gradually increasing the throttle while engaging the clutch.
It doesn't occur if I just slowly engage the clutch with no throttle.
I didn't notice any knocking after the clutch was fully engaged.
There is no knocking sound when the bike is on the side stand while in neutral (at idle or being rev'ed).

I'm guessing I should just let a mechanic look at it when I get it serviced.

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 04:27 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

From what you have said, the studdering and knocking is only occurring when you put load on the engine (rolling on throttle and engaging clutch). Maybe you have a cylinder that isn't firing?

Let your bike warm up and then get put some water on the headers using a spray bottle or whatever you have to use. If it doesn't evaporate off all of them at the same time, you know which one is probably down. You could also use a laser thermometer if you have one. Check to make sure all header pipes are the same temp.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Money View Post
From what you have said, the studdering and knocking is only occurring when you put load on the engine (rolling on throttle and engaging clutch). Maybe you have a cylinder that isn't firing?

Let your bike warm up and then get put some water on the headers using a spray bottle or whatever you have to use. If it doesn't evaporate off all of them at the same time, you know which one is probably down. You could also use a laser thermometer if you have one. Check to make sure all header pipes are the same temp.
I used a laser thermometer. They all appeared to be about the same temp.

The knocking doesn't seem as bad as it was yesterday.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 08:06 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

My assumption is a worn clutch would not cause you to studder or knock. Idk where else to check from there.

Try some basic stuff. Seafoam cleaner in a tank of fresh gas. Clean your air filter.
When did you change spark plugs last?

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I threw my oil suggestion out there for a reason.... try changing your oil before throwing money at something where you don't know if it will/won't fix the problem

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 09:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge_Jumper View Post
I threw my oil suggestion out there for a reason.... try changing your oil before throwing money at something where you don't know if it will/won't fix the problem
This. Wet clutch. Oil breaks down after a while. Change oil since it'll only do it good and see if that helps any before getting into more complicated and expensive things.

"Opinions are like A**holes. Everyone has one."

- Untamed Entity -
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

As it turns out, its the chain and sprockets causing the sound.

I'm gonna get my local mechanic to order the parts and attempt to replace them myself. He offered to rivet the chain if I bought the parts from him and did everything else.

It seems like a fairly easy job. I just need to know how to get to the front sprocket and what size socket I need to pull it.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 07:32 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
so you chewed all the teeth off your sprocket hey?

a simple bit of advice.

CLEAN YOUR CHAIN!

getting back there and spending some time around your chain keeping it clean and lubed will give you plenty of time to inspect the sprockets for wear. seems like you shredded yours without noticing at all.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbly View Post
so you chewed all the teeth off your sprocket hey?

a simple bit of advice.

CLEAN YOUR CHAIN!

getting back there and spending some time around your chain keeping it clean and lubed will give you plenty of time to inspect the sprockets for wear. seems like you shredded yours without noticing at all.
I put it on a rear tire stand and give it a good lube fairly regularly, but I should probably do it more often. The rear sprocket looks fine to me. The chain looks pretty wore and I've known it was going to need to be replaced eventually for a while now, but it didn't occur to me that it could be the source of the sound. I have no idea what the front sprocket looks like.

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 07:48 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
I cut out my front sprocket cover so I can change the sprocket without removing the cover, also makes regular inspections a breeze
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 03:18 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
I cut out my front sprocket cover so I can change the sprocket without removing the cover, also makes regular inspections a breeze
But I wonder why manufacturers cost themselves and add it to the bike to begin with

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 07:41 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Rage View Post
But I wonder why manufacturers cost themselves and add it to the bike to begin with
Reduced noise, cleaner from a lube flinging standpoint and safety issues.

OP, clean your chain, not pile lube on it.

Mike
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 10:43 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Quote:
So ladies like you don't get your frilly underpants caught in it

Don't even start...
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 06:59 PM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Quote:
So ladies like you don't get your frilly underpants caught in it

Don't even start...
You guys need some KY jelly??
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2014, 07:32 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Every time I remove superfluous parts from a bike its instantly criticized. Gets pretty annoying
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 05:26 AM
World Superbike Racer

Haha it's because it's you Wibbly.

Otherwise 9 out of 10 of the people on this forum have removed what they feel to be surplus items from their bikes.
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 06:00 AM
Moto GP Racer

Quote:
Every time I remove superfluous parts from a bike its instantly criticized. Gets pretty annoying
That's the point Sherlock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miweber929 View Post
Reduced noise, cleaner from a lube flinging standpoint and safety issues.

OP, clean your chain, not pile lube on it.

Mike
Yup, my question was rhetorical, but thank you for pointing those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF600RR View Post
Haha it's because it's you Wibbly.

Otherwise 9 out of 10 of the people on this forum have removed what they feel to be surplus items from their bikes.
Well at least some people get it.

2011 CBR600RR 'X-Ray' Build Thread
https://www.600rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=294795

Co-President of Team46

"My bike is too fast for the track" Ubercool ZX-14R rider.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 09:18 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Yup, my question was rhetorical, but thank you for pointing those out.
Figured, but in a forum where people will write a post saying how they installed Protaper grips on their bike as a mod and others who are looking at buying a quick shifter and slipper clutch for their "poverty pack" CBR yet "literally" **** their pants the first time they how above 7000rpm, you never know. :)

Wibbly, you don't like getting **** about your mods then stop being an ******* in every thread and you'll find people a lot more interested in what you have to say. Or stop posting here, your choice. Toughen up or walk, easy as that.

Mike
The Following User Says Thank You to Miweber929 For This Useful Post:
Rad Rage (05-11-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page