New Front Tire : Handling = Terrible - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Front Tire : Handling = Terrible

Hey guys, tried using the search function and google to no avail.

11k miles, 2005 CBR600rr, all OEM except custom paint job from last owner.

So last weekend I had the bike inspected knowing the front tire would fail, put a new tire on, passed inspection, hooray!

Now I've been riding for about 7 years and this is my third motorcycle, this isn't my first time having tires replaced.

I go to leave the shop, ride for about 1/8 miles and I'm like JESUS F-ing CHRIST.

It's like I took my bike onto an ice rink. I can literally turn the handle bars with my finger when the bike is on it's kickstand and it takes barely any effort to go around a corner, but in a dangerous way, like I'm going to lose it.

It's almost like before they installed the tire, they soaked it in a bucket of 0W-20 motor oil.

Pulled over immediately, checked that everything was tight (seriously happened to have a socket set in my book bag)

Everything checked out, I call the shop, the owner says he's not sure what I'm talking about, he said with the new front tire handling was going to be much more responsive.

I'm going to be late for work so F-it, let's get this thing home it's 4 miles away.

Start googling, articles coming up about people dumping bikes immediately after getting tires changed, due to being slippery from the factory, suggesting that I "scrub" them in.

I have never heard of scrubbing in my life, and this is probably my 5th new front tire. It stated if I do not want to scrub them in, I can ride about 40-50 miles and whatever coating is on the tire will wear off.

Steering bearing doesn't seem loose, and no weird noises/vibrations or anything, I'm going to take it to another shop and see what they say.

Could the installed have damaged something while removing the rim? I've done this before, it was a cake walk which is why 125$ for labor really pissed me off (I called around 4 diff shops, apparently that's the going rate in Buffalo)

So after taking the bike to work today (avg 70mph for 10 miles, still need to head home), still feels the same way.

I've never experienced this. Am I crazy? Or has tire technology advanced light-years since 2012 (last time I purchased tires)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:00 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
New Front Tire : Handling = Terrible

Check your tire pressures. Some shops will set them to factory recs of around 42psi. Depending on your tire you may need to be closer to the 32 range. They do this for liability reasons. Can't sue me if I set it to what the manual says to.

Having too much air will make your tire VERY responsive and slick in the corner.

Likewise, it's easy to forget to lower the pressure after the bead has been set too. I've had tires at almost 60psi trying to get a pesky bead to set. Luckily I've never had to go over the max on the sidewalls.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You don't have to scrub them in.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the quick replies guys, I have not checked tire pressure, but I can't honestly believe it would have this much of an effect.

Will do so as soon as I get her home.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubengineering View Post
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I have not checked tire pressure, but I can't honestly believe it would have this much of an effect.

Will do so as soon as I get her home.
Huge effect. Underinflated tires make the front feel like it's in cement.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 08:38 PM
BOTM Winner 07/16

What tyre is it? Brand/make/size

Yes new tyres can be a bit slippery when new but should be ok after 10 - 15km of riding.

Some even good from the get go.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2014, 10:13 PM
World Superbike Racer

Yea I think we need to know the tire model and pressure before anyone can make an educated guess. But 2 things not mentioned so far as possibilities are tire profile and rubber compound. Post up your tire specs.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page