Bike only shifts between first and second gear.... - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bike only shifts between first and second gear....

Hi all-

I posted this in the CBRforum and got no response so am trying my luck here. My bike is an 02 cbr600 f4i, if it makes a difference....

just got my bike out of winter storage and was all ready for my first ride. bike starts no problem, but is a little weird when shifting in first. I try to put it back into neutral and it's hard to find (this is all while im sitting on the bike, not moving). I go back up into first and ride away, bump it into second (kinda sluggish feeling in shift lever), go for third and it won't go. Stomp on it and it will not go into third. Pull the bike over and try to go through the gears while stationary and same thing, will move between first and second but third and beyond is impossible.

I've never had a problem like this before. When i last rode the bike everything was fine. Before i winterized it i drove it from texas up to philadelphia in a snow storm. It got covered in snow/salt which i washed off and then i dryed it and sprayed it with a silicon spray for protection. It was on it's kickstand the whole winter and might have been left in gear. Im saying this because it might be a clue into what went wrong.

Oil level is fine, clutch cable is fine. Nothing was changed since I last rode it.

I don't think its clutch plates, I did get it up to operating temperature and rode around in 2nd for a while and nothing loosened up or improved.

Does anyone have an idea of what's going on? Any idea where to start or what I should be looking for? I'm at a loss because I've never had a problem like this and I have no idea what might be causing it.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 08:47 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Can you freely shift it with the bike off? Put it on a rear stand and try to shift the gears without it started. Worst case scenario would be a rebuild on the tranny. Can you hear any bad bearings, not that it would likely be a cause. Only thing I can think of it being is the Hubs that select your gear aren't able to slide over the next gears and it's locking you out of the gears. I've rebuilt my own Transmission for being locked out of gears and the hubs were jacked up and the syncros were worn out. But that was not on a bike. Here's to hoping someone can give you a better answer.

2A7X3. Aircraft Structural Maintenance.

Any corrosion (Paint, priming, identification, etc) or Fabrication (Sheetmetal, Fiberglass, Tubing, etc)
questions, go ahead and ask and I'll do the best to respond to the best of my knowledge.

Current : '08 CBR1000RR 20160213
Wrecked: '05 CBR600RR 20151221 RIP

Crashes: 2 minor low speed lowsides, 1 50MPH impact.
Injuries: 0 Broken bones, possible tear in shoulder.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Modcake with sprinkles

Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Sorry just a little confused from the story. You tried shifting to third only in place? Or did you try while riding?

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

It's while he's riding.

Any corrosion (Paint, priming, identification, etc) or Fabrication (Sheetmetal, Fiberglass, Tubing, etc)
questions, go ahead and ask and I'll do the best to respond to the best of my knowledge.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:04 PM
Modcake with sprinkles

Got it. Any grinding? or is it just solid not going?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for all the replies!

I can ride fine in first or second gear, there are no bad noises it just feels sticky or like I'm shifting through molasses. When I try to put it in third it just won't go there. I think if i tried to apply more force to the pedal I'd bend/break it. Identical thing happens when I try to shift when the bike is on it's stand and motor not running.

I tried adjusting the clutch cable and it did nothing, made it so I could only shift into first or second or not at all.

Before I put it away it ran great and I've never had a shift issue in the past. It always moved freely between all the gears.

I'm probably going to remove the clutch basket next weekend and see if its a shift arm/spring or something. I just wish I knew what I was looking for.....
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 11:11 PM
BOTM Winner 07/16

Have you tried spraying WD40 or other lubricant all over the shift linkages (all of the linkages)?

Sticky linkage means when you shift to 2nd, the shifter stays up rather than going back to normal position and it will stop you from shifting to 3 , 4, 5, 6
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I sprayed everything a few days ago with WD40 and it had no effect. Not sure if it's my imagination but it seems harder to shift now between 1st and 2nd, as if nothing is lubricated. Weird.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 11:00 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Did you do an oil change before you took it back out?

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 05:46 PM
BOTM Winner 07/16

take all the linkages out and see if they move smoothly off the bike.

After that, maybe is the shifter star gear; not sure how it can worn down if it has been in storage.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by YG27 View Post
Can you freely shift it with the bike off? Put it on a rear stand and try to shift the gears without it started. Worst case scenario would be a rebuild on the tranny. Can you hear any bad bearings, not that it would likely be a cause. Only thing I can think of it being is the Hubs that select your gear aren't able to slide over the next gears and it's locking you out of the gears. I've rebuilt my own Transmission for being locked out of gears and the hubs were jacked up and the syncros were worn out. But that was not on a bike. Here's to hoping someone can give you a better answer.
Let's hope so, this answer was pretty pointless.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 07:50 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheX View Post
Let's hope so, this answer was pretty pointless.
Your comment was even more pointless :)
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 09:24 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 17 reviews
What you are describing sounds like a shift fork or the star is the problem. What doesn't make sense is that it was fine before you put it away for the winter.

Is there any chance the bike was knocked over on the left side? If the gear shift shaft is hit hard enough it can get pushed out of place. This will become obvious when you pull the basket and inspect. I highly doubt oil is the problem.

The linkage for the shifter could be the culprit, but if you inspected it and made sure they weren't binding I don't see that causing the problem, especially if you can shift between 1st - N - 2nd as that is the full range the shift lever will travel anyway.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 12:58 AM
Modcake with sprinkles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRider View Post
What you are describing sounds like a shift fork or the star is the problem. What doesn't make sense is that it was fine before you put it away for the winter.

Is there any chance the bike was knocked over on the left side? If the gear shift shaft is hit hard enough it can get pushed out of place. This will become obvious when you pull the basket and inspect. I highly doubt oil is the problem.

The linkage for the shifter could be the culprit, but if you inspected it and made sure they weren't binding I don't see that causing the problem, especially if you can shift between 1st - N - 2nd as that is the full range the shift lever will travel anyway.
I was going to say that but idk how any of that would happen without being knocked over or hit pretty hard.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 03:30 AM
BOTM Winner 04/14

Garage
Did you get to the bottom of that mysterious bearing and the lifter lever leakage? I know these are old threads of yours, but just maybe it's something related?
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-14-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Hi all-

Thanks for all the responses! I haven't solved the problem but haven't done much besides apply WD40 and scratch my head. This hasn't gotten me any improvements. In response to the bike being knocked over, it wasn't. It was on it's side stand all winter, and I think I left it in gear all winter. The oil hasn't been changed but it's not very old and the levels are fine. Here is what I'm going to do in the next few days:

Remove shift lever/pedal and try shifting without the pedal assembly to see if this is where the problem lies.

If this doesn't work I'm taking off the clutch cover and seeing what I can find.

If I can't find anything I'll bang my head against the wall.....

Will report back with any findings. Thanks again for the great response.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Bike only shifts between first and second gear....

Im having the same problem with my bike cant get out of 2nd after I replaced my shifter pedal

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Last edited by Ozzie7; 05-19-2014 at 08:23 AM.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ozzie 7 you may have mis mounted the new shifter on the wrong splines.

move it down (or up!) a spline at a time until you get it to shift into higher gears.

use flat screwdriver to carefully open shifter spline clamp to easily remove shifter.....

AND DO NOT "TAP" it into place.....there is avery delicate washer holding the shift shat in place and it cannot take forcing!
The Following User Says Thank You to tary preisser For This Useful Post:
Ozzie7 (05-21-2014)
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

the saga continues

For anyone who has responded or looked at this thread, thanks.

I FINALLY took off the clutch basket and tried to shift through the gears and when i shift through the star is getting stuck, it just stops rotating. I can hear a thud inside the engine of metal on metal, like it meshes for the first two gears and then thunk, it won't go. I tried rotating the star with pliers and same thing happens.

I spoke with a friend and he thinks its time to take engine out.

Any thoughts?

Anyone know someone that can do this work in the philadelphia area? Its beyond what I'm comfortable working on.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page