Starter Motor Issues - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starter Motor Issues

Hey everyone,

So I've had some issues with my starter motor. At least I believe it's the culprit. The service manual said to apply voltage directly from the battery (which has good voltage) to the starter motor itself. So I've been taking the lower and mid fairings off because i read on another thread to you have to lift the tank to access the starter motor. So now that I've got both the mid and lower fairings off i looked in the service manual to try and figure out how to lift the gas tank from there. However either it doesn't say in the service manual, or I just haven't found the page where it explains how to do it.

So my question is how do i lift the gas tank and/or gain access to the starter motor to test it?

2009 CBR600RR non-abs

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by FireSam; 05-19-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Too add a bit more info... It never starts hot or cold, and the first time it happened i had been riding for about an hour, stopped to drink some water, and then it wouldnt start. I ear the relay clicking away underneath the seat but when i press the starter button everything on the dash and headlights all turn off and go black and my clock resets. once again good battery voltage.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 09:09 AM
Knee Dragger

First u have to take the tank cover off. To do that, there are pop rivets that connect it to the upper fairings. Pull that out and there is a bolt under the forward seat. Remove that and then the 2 small he's screws on both sides of the seat that hold the small plastics there. The cover should come off but u may have to work it off since it's probably suctioned on a little bit from air pressure between the cover and the tank. After the cover is off, there are 2 large black bolts (1 on each side) of the forward section of the tank and the 2 long silver bolts where the seats goes. Remove them and u can take the tank off. There is 2 plugs 2 or 3 hoses on the bottom of the tank so be careful when u lift it.

'09 CBR 600RR
- Two Brothers carbon fiber black series slip on exhaust
- Power Commander V
- Autotuner
- Zero Gravity double bubble dark smoke windscreen
- BK Moto V2 dual halo/demon eye projector kit
- TST smoke integrated taillight
- ASV F3 shorty levers
- flush mount front signals
- Galfer steel braided brake lines and pads

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 11:28 AM
Pocketbike Racer

What are you planning to do, replace the motor? Do not try to apply a battery voltage across the motor please. It may produce sparks and even result in injury to you. In these situations, the culprits are the starter relay (under your seat as you already know) or starter motor, in that order. I do not think the starter motor itself is bad.

It is possible that the motor is bad. If so, you can clean the body (coil) and the contacts, but beyond that there is nothing you can do short of replacing it. Given that your bike is an '09 model, it is not old enough to fail.

Have you any experience in doing this? Know anything about these things? If so, you could go ahead. Otherwise, you will get yourself into something you will not like.

I have done both (replacing the starter relay as well as fix the starter motor), but on a different bike.

You will just have to be extremely patient. I'd not recommend that you connect the battery across the motor, though.

Good luck.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wait....take the battery out and get it tested! (good voltage don't mean jack)

I replaced the battery on my 09 last year.....and I gave it a good ride at least 1x week, year 'round before it died at my gas point before I headed for home.

the starter being bad should not cause cluster to die/act funny.....or you should smell insulation/electronics burning if starter?

maybe relay.....maybe battery.......probably not starter.

no problems with starter on my 40k mile 09.......and have not seen postings OTF about this problem for 09's

my battery gave me maybe 2 weak starts(longer cranking before startup) before quitting entirely.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Battery was the issue. replaced and she's running (and starting up) just beautifully. It was kind of strange that i never had any weak cranking issue prior to it just dying immediately but now i know to load test it before taking half the fairings off.

tldr: replaced battery, problem solved.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2014, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

and as far as when i thought the starter motor was bad and going to check it, it said in the service manual quote " Apply battery voltage to the starer motor directly and check the operation". Now i never got to that point because my dumb ass didn't load test the battery but if the battery and the starter motor relay and the fuses had been in good working order, the 4th step in the trouble shooting process was applying battery voltage to the starter directly. once again this is from the service manual (page 20-4)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2014, 03:17 PM
Pocketbike Racer

FireSam, you are correct. But, the starter motor would draw a lot of current which, in turn, can cause a massive spark unless you are using a proper switch to apply the battery voltage across the starter. Anyway, well done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page