Source of all my Problems? Maybe? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Source of all my Problems? Maybe?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140521_145241_079.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	127505

As most of you know, I've been having Charging system problems.

Between getting a New stator, R/R (3x, now buying another Just incase), and Battery. It still won't charge while riding.

After finally "Giving up" the other day. I went to a Local shop, and they told me it would cost near 700$-1,000$ in labor alone to go through my wire harness....

I decided F that! I'll try my hands are carefully splitting open the harness. Right away, After Cutting open from the Stator, Up to the Main Harnes. I noticed the "Male?" end of the 3 yellow Wire Plug that connects to the Stator. That one of them looked a little Burnt. So I took it out of the Hard plastic case, and noticed it Look Burnt, and Corrided at the "plug" as seen in the picture. Could this just simply be what my Problem has been? And/Or should I keep going through the Harness, and checking for something else?

And Where can I get one of the "Plugs"? at the Local Shop maybe? went to autozone and oriellys with no luck

Again, Sorry for the consent Stupid questions coming from me. Just i would rather learn how to Fix my Bike, rather then have someone else do it, and be clueless onto how to fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 12:36 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,058 Times in 861 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The heating would be indicative of a circuit issue somewhere. Follow the wires to their termination point and make sure all the insulation is in good shape
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:03 AM
World Superbike Racer

That sucks dude. I had charging issues on my 09 zx6r, it only cost 458.00 for them to diagnose and fix the problem. Sounds like the shops up there are bending people over.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Would it be wrong for me to Cut open the Insulation/Harness with a Razor, Then when done put the Insulation/Harness back on and wrap it with Black Electrical tape?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:15 AM
World Superbike Racer

I don't think you need to pull off the insulation. I would pry open that connector and clean up the tip of the wire and then smash the connector back on. Apart from the corrosion there is no reason why some burnt marks would cause the electrical connection to fail.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:16 AM
World Superbike Racer

Id be willing to bet that's not the source of your problem. Have you checked for parasitic draw on your battery?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austicus View Post
That sucks dude. I had charging issues on my 09 zx6r, it only cost 458.00 for them to diagnose and fix the problem. Sounds like the shops up there are bending people over.
And YES! Long story short, When I bought this Bike, (1,800$ with 400$ in gear Helmet/Jacket.) It had a Major Oil leak, and No tires left. I bought Some used Tires off a guy that used the set for a couple hours at a track before he wrecked his bike. They were 190/50 rear, and I don't remmeber the front.

Well the Local shop Said that the rear tire I bought won't work becuase its the wrong size, and that for them to put new tires on the bike, I would have to buy a set from them, and they will put them on for a discounted price. Sooo Me being Guable, Bought a New Rear tire for 180$(after already paying 140$ for the Used pair Front/Rear.)

So they rolled my bike into the back shop, and Came back maybe 3 minuetes later saying they couldn't put the tire on becuase i got a oil leak. I said "well, You are a Motorcycle shop. Fix it??....." He told me some story on how they can't work on bikes Before the year 2001/2002 (Mines a 2000...) and told me to leave, or he will have to call the Law enforcement.....

Ended up going to a guy who has a Car lift, and allllll the works in his garage, and he ended up Putting the Tires on, Fixing the oil leak (Sprocket seal had peices of shoe laces in it), tighten my chain, and a oil change for around eh, 300$ I think.

Piston Pete is his name. He told me to go return the Brand new tire I bought, because the 190/50 will work perfectly. all the diffrence is the side wall is a tad shorter, and the tire is a bit wider.

Well,I went back to Motoprimo to return the tire. Well. They denied to take it back because one small sticker was off it...

Hate to say it. But if your around the lakeville area of Minnesota, DON'T go to MotoPrimo. Service, and Prices are Horrible!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:23 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Wanabi View Post
And YES! Long story short, When I bought this Bike, (1,800$ with 400$ in gear Helmet/Jacket.) It had a Major Oil leak, and No tires left. I bought Some used Tires off a guy that used the set for a couple hours at a track before he wrecked his bike. They were 190/50 rear, and I don't remmeber the front.

Well the Local shop Said that the rear tire I bought won't work becuase its the wrong size, and that for them to put new tires on the bike, I would have to buy a set from them, and they will put them on for a discounted price. Sooo Me being Guable, Bought a New Rear tire for 180$(after already paying 140$ for the Used pair Front/Rear.)

So they rolled my bike into the back shop, and Came back maybe 3 minuetes later saying they couldn't put the tire on becuase i got a oil leak. I said "well, You are a Motorcycle shop. Fix it??....." He told me some story on how they can't work on bikes Before the year 2001/2002 (Mines a 2000...) and told me to leave, or he will have to call the Law enforcement.....

Ended up going to a guy who has a Car lift, and allllll the works in his garage, and he ended up Putting the Tires on, Fixing the oil leak (Sprocket seal had peices of shoe laces in it), tighten my chain, and a oil change for around eh, 300$ I think.

Piston Pete is his name. He told me to go return the Brand new tire I bought, because the 190/50 will work perfectly. all the diffrence is the side wall is a tad shorter, and the tire is a bit wider.

Well,I went back to Motoprimo to return the tire. Well. They denied to take it back because one small sticker was off it...

Hate to say it. But if your around the lakeville area of Minnesota, DON'T go to MotoPrimo. Service, and Prices are Horrible!

Wow sounds like a winner shop for sure.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austicus View Post
Id be willing to bet that's not the source of your problem. Have you checked for parasitic draw on your battery?
I have a New R/R From a GSXR 750 on its way. heard they work better then the Honda ones? and I bought a New/used Radiator Fan. Because I think the one i have may be shorting out? Don't seem to work. 70 Degree day, and my Temps are Mid to Mid-high going 80 Mph with no side fairings on. Would think the temps would be much much lower, and I've never seen it actually turn on.

And for some reason my Gaslight doesn't seem to work. 2 times now in the past week Have I ran empty, not knowing because my Gas light never turned on.
Isn't much of a problem rather then a bugger that won't come out haha.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,718 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
If you have higher than normal temps while moving the fan isn't the issue. It doesn't come on till ~220.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Wanabi View Post

Primo is not the worst shop in the area, FYI, there are worse.

But as pissed as you are look at it from their end as a business decision: they install a used "wrong" size tire (even though it fits, according to Honda it needs a 180) and you crash because of anything, oh say oil leaking onto it that could have been seen while changing the tire the week before. Who are going to run screaming to when that happens? Them because they were the last to touch the bike, suddenly they are liable, not necessarily by law but in this world with forums, Facebook, Twitter, etc. all hell breaks loose. As far as returning the tire you removed the sticker, they have no idea if it's been mounted, liability again.

Not saying you'd be that ******* who would do that but they have to cover themselves from as much litigation as they can.

And many dealers nowadays will not work on anything older than 10 years old simply from a training and time standpoint (like you said, you paid $1800 on the bike, who wants to pay $120/hr for shop rate) and mist will not touch tires they didn't sell, used or not.

Never heard much on Piston Pete but try Hitching Post or Honda Town for dealer needed stuff (better service than Primo), Roy's Repair, Motorsports Plus or my personal favorite 2K Motorsports for everything from tires to service. However know going in Kyle supports CRA racing and NEVER has time to answer his phone or return messages. But go in there personally and be amazed at the prices he'll get you and the service he does.

As far as your issue it's a symptom not the problem. If you'd like some help PM me and I can walk through some more stuff but basically on these newer bikes in an effort to reduce weight and make things compact the charging systems get pretty fragile. Generally, the RR is the first thing to go and if left go long enough, or if the bike is crashed on the left side, will take the stator out with it. The only thing to do is replace them and the battery to make the system whole again.

Again, generally speaking, lots of other issues can be had.

From there you need to look at the entire wiring harness, especially if dipshit PO's cobble shitty turn signals and fender eliminators in which is quite popular to do. Make sure all connections are right, tight and done well. If the wiring has been hacked or wrecked replacing the entire thing can be your best bet. And anything twisted and electrical taped needs to be redone correct with heat shrink and solder.

The other two big areas to watch for on these era bikes are the fuel pump and kill switch, but those are more "not starting" issues. Otherwise these are pretty bulletproof machines.

Good luck.

Mike
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2014, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Don't mean to Bump a oldish Post from meh. But I went and Cut 6-8 Inches above the Burnt end, And soldered a new wire, Smashed/soldered the old Male end back on.

When i leave for work. I unplug the charger, let it sit for a minute. then Test the voltage. I get a read of 12.6-12.8 idle, 13.3-13.7 4K rmp and up.

BUT when I get home from work I've been checking it, and I'm getting a 11.9-12.1 Idle, 12.1-12.5ish at 4k RPM and up.

Batterys like 2-3 weeks old. But I'm thinking I may have Ruined it by Running the Battery Dry from Riding the Bike to work and back when the charging system wasn't Working to a 100%. Going to get a load test done tomorrow if I have time around work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page