2005 CBR-600RR Intermittent Starting Problem - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 CBR-600RR Intermittent Starting Problem

About a week ago, my 2005 CBR-600RR just refused to start after sitting in a parking lot for about 15 minutes while I was running an errand. When I pressed the starter, the starter relay clicked once, but the starter didn't work. I walked to my office to scrounge tools, but when I got back to the bike two hours later, it started fine.

Then a couple days later, it wouldn't start when I was about to leave work. I verified the battery voltage (12.78-12.90 volts [gel battery]), and checked out the starter relay. The relay closed the circuit with the frame when I hit the starter, and the voltage was the same as the battery voltage, suggesting that the starter motor wasn't drawing any current. I ended up push starting the bike, which worked fine.

Since then, I have noticed that pushing the bike forward in top gear about 10 feet sometimes allows the starter motor to work normally.

I tried to take the starter motor out to take it apart and look for problems. I tried to do so without first taking apart the fuel and cooling systems, which still took all day. I finally got the starter motor unbolted, but it was still trapped in the bike by fuel and coolant hoses, so I verified all the electrical connections and re-installed it.

So, where do I go from here? I don't have a garage to leave the bike in overnight in a disassembled state, and it is my only transportation, so my options are limited. I will get two consecutive days off in about four weeks, so I might drain the cooling and fuel systems and pull the starter properly then. But are there other possibilities I'm missing?

I looked back over about two years of posts here, and saw about a dozen posts similar to mine. But not one of them posted a resolution!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Since I figured out the problem, I figured I would give you guys an update so at least one thread about this would get a resolution.

I pulled out the starter motor and as soon as I opened it up, loads of carbon dust fell out. What you see in the attached image is about half of the carbon in there - just what dumped out as soon as I opened it. The brushes looked to be about 60% worn down. I cleaned out both the loose carbon and the caked-on carbon from the whole starter and re-installed it, and the bike started perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140709_132432.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	133042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140709_133250.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	133050  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomenclature For This Useful Post:
1hunid (07-11-2014), tary preisser (07-11-2014), Untamed Entity (05-06-2015)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 05:51 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,055 Times in 859 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Good job. I recently did the exact same procedure for a buddy's CBR 1000. There is another guy on here about to do the same.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 03:54 PM
Pocketbike Racer

Anyway you could show steps you took on removal etc.. thanks

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 04:24 PM
Training Wheel Hero

EWOkie,

Do you have access to a service manual? If not, PM me and I'll try to point you in the right direction to get one.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Knee Dragger

I have a very similar issue with my 06! Thanks so much for the info I will give this a try and let you know the results!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 04:20 PM
Knee Dragger

Thank you for this. I had a similar problem a year or so back with my 2005. I finally got a replacement (used) starter, put it on and my bike was starting again. Now, as of 3 weeks ago, the starting problems are back and exactly the same. I'll try opening the starter and giving it a little 'cleaning' to see if there is any junk in there. I'll post back with the results!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Knee Dragger

Good news: I *think* this fixed my starter issue. Once I had the starter off and opened it up, a whole bunch of black carbon (or whatever it actually is) came out. I put the bike back together, tried to start it 3-4 times, and it turned over and started instantly.

Bad news: I broke a nipple/port off of a coolant/thermostat joint while trying to get to the starter bolt that is closest to the headlights. I've removed & replaced the starter last year with no problem, other than it being a real PITA. This time, once I broke that little nipple off (oops) the last bolt was much easier to access! With the nipple broke, I lost a lot of coolant, and need to replace this part and flush/re-fill the coolant. Here's a photo of what broke. Be extra careful if you folks want to remove the starter without taking off everything else, don't do what I did

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:53 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I have the same issue . i have replaced new starter motor , relay , still have the same problem. have you found the problem in your bike. if so please share. it would be very helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page