flooded bad - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
flooded bad

i started my bike for the first time this year and i started fine. i ran it for about 5-10 seconds then shut it off. tried to start it a couple of hours later and wouldn't start. it wanted to start but not quite. i hooked up a car battery and tried about 10 times throughout the day using full throttle. tried taking the plugs out and dried them off and still not starting. now it's not sparking barely at all and i can still smell gas in the exhaust. it's cranking fine and the pump is priming. i'm out of ideas. what can i do? thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 01:26 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Did you put fuel stabilizer in the tank before you put it up for storage? It sounds like bad fuel to me. Try cranking the bike with the throttle position at 50% open. If that doesn't work try WOT and see if it cranks. You may need to dump that tank and put some fresh gas in.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:40 PM

for starters, lets just not ever hook up a car battery again :0)

as far as the flooding problem... may need to dump the tank and refill... but try wide open throttle while cranking a few times for 10 seconds or so... remember not to crank the thinkg to long and and to close together as you'll overheat your starter.

let er sit, time might fix it too...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

what's wrong with using a car battery? it should be about the same voltage. i've only been using the starter for about 5 seconds at a time maybe once every hour. i'm using wot and i'm still smelling gas in the exhaust. so i guess i'll keep trying.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:25 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA600rrGuy
what's wrong with using a car battery? it should be about the same voltage. i've only been using the starter for about 5 seconds at a time maybe once every hour. i'm using wot and i'm still smelling gas in the exhaust. so i guess i'll keep trying.
Same voltage yes but much higher amp loads coming from the alternator. If you jump your bike with a car/truck don't crank the car.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:11 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

^^ exactly, keep the car off and its no different than hookin up another good bike battery. turn the car on and you'll pop ur main fuse in a jiff ... are you seein black smoke outta the pipe when crankin it? black smoke = super rich
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:44 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I had the same problem with mine for some reason. I got mine to sTart by hitting the starter button before the injectors cycLe when you turn the key on. it started up, chugged a little. Gave it some gas and it ran good after that.

Current Bikes:
2007 CBR600RR - Track Bike
1996 Honda Magna

Past Bikes:
1976 RD250
1989 RD400
1990 VFR
2003 CBR600RR

Last edited by Buzz21; 04-04-2006 at 12:53 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 01:17 PM
Moto GP Racer

I've done this 2 times, you fouled up the plugs...you can't turn it on for only a few seconds and shut it off. It will foul...I learned my lesson the hard way.... 2 times.

Quote:
i started my bike for the first time this year and i started fine. i ran it for about 5-10 seconds then shut it off. tried to start it a couple of hours later and wouldn't start. it wanted to start but not quite. i hooked up a car battery and tried about 10 times throughout the day using full throttle. tried taking the plugs out and dried them off and still not starting. now it's not sparking barely at all and i can still smell gas in the exhaust. it's cranking fine and the pump is priming. i'm out of ideas. what can i do? thanks in advance.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Pocketbike Racer

She's Alive!

i diconnected the fuel pump relay and cranked it, the plugs started firing. then i plugged it back in and cranked it again for probably 30 seconds or so while playing with the throttle and spraying starter fluid in. and no, the car was not on when using it's battery. i'm still not sure why it flooded, but i know now that it wasn't bad plugs or stale gas or the tip over switch. i'm so glad it's running, too bad it's snowing out right now!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
i diconnected the fuel pump relay and cranked it, the plugs started firing. then i plugged it back in and cranked it again for probably 30 seconds or so while playing with the throttle and spraying starter fluid in. and no, the car was not on when using it's battery. i'm still not sure why it flooded, but i know now that it wasn't bad plugs or stale gas or the tip over switch. i'm so glad it's running, too bad it's snowing out right now!
hmm weird deal. glad to hear its runnin tho!

300th post WOOT!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 03:41 PM

It flooded because you turned the bike off while the Autochoke was still enabled on the bike. If you start it and don't let it warm up enough there is lots of excess fuel still going to the cylinders causing your bike to flood.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beung
It flooded because you turned the bike off while the Autochoke was still enabled on the bike. If you start it and don't let it warm up enough there is lots of excess fuel still going to the cylinders causing your bike to flood.
unfortunately, im goin to have to disagree here. i believe the "auto choke" feature on this bike is simply a program in the ECU to boost the idle a bit untill the motor reaches a certain temp. unlike a carbed motor that has a choke butterfly that restricts airflow when cold to boost the RPMs, F.I. motors have a TPS (throttle position sensor) that communicates with the ECU to maintain a perfect air/fuel ratio at any RPM thus, eliminating an unusual rich or lean mix (extremely rich from the sounds of GA600rrGuy's situation). Someone correct me if i am wrong.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 09:37 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX_600RR
unfortunately, im goin to have to disagree here. i believe the "auto choke" feature on this bike is simply a program in the ECU to boost the idle a bit untill the motor reaches a certain temp. unlike a carbed motor that has a choke butterfly that restricts airflow when cold to boost the RPMs, F.I. motors have a TPS (throttle position sensor) that communicates with the ECU to maintain a perfect air/fuel ratio at any RPM thus, eliminating an unusual rich or lean mix (extremely rich from the sounds of GA600rrGuy's situation). Someone correct me if i am wrong.
I would agree with everything except the ECU maintaining a perfect A/F ratio. It's not perfect but close enough for the most part.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 11:12 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

^^ haha ok i'll give ya that
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
^^ haha ok i'll give ya that

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 05:49 PM

Quote:
What are you disagreeing with? The reason why it flooded or that the autochoke feeds more fuel then if it didn't have autochoke or no choke at all for that matter? Far as I know autochoke is not he same as holding the throttle open at the same RPM as the autochoke does, but then I could be wrong.

Last edited by beung; 04-06-2006 at 05:52 PM.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 06:58 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beung
What are you disagreeing with? The reason why it flooded or that the autochoke feeds more fuel then if it didn't have autochoke or no choke at all for that matter? Far as I know autochoke is not he same as holding the throttle open at the same RPM as the autochoke does, but then I could be wrong.
im not sure how his bike flooded or even if it actually flooded in the first place causing this super rich mix prob. I was disagreeing with you on how computer controlled F.I. bikes warm up. There is not a "choke" on these bikes but rather a "fast idle" programmed in the ECU to simply just bump the idle up a bit to warm itself up untill it reaches a certain degree temp. it basically opens up the throttle just a bit, same thing as crackin the throttle just a bit with your wrist manually and holding it there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page