HELP! I can't start my bike! - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! I can't start my bike!

Hi guys. I've got an 03 600RR with approx 16,000 miles on it. I went for a little ride on sunday and noticed it was running a little funny (didn't accelerate like normal in 1st gear). Anyway...after my ride I washed her down and now she refuses to start! She cranks but does not turn over. I tried compression starting with no luck. I checked the battery and it is good (lights are on and bright, took it down to AutoZone and they said the battery is still good). One thing I notice is the fuel pump sound is not present when I turn the ignition on. Is it normal for the fuel pump to go bad after only 16,000 miles? Is there anything else I should look into before changing out the fuel pump?
Thanks in advance, guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 02:01 AM
Moto GP Racer

have you checked the fuses? The fuel pump should run for 2 seconds after you turn the bike on. Then it should run once the bike is started.

CBR RIDERS FOR LIFE
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:45 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

i seriously doubt its the fuel pump. its prob one of the kill features. check all fuses, kill switch assem., BAS, neutch inticator, clutch engaugement sensor, kick stand sensor, etc ... it will not start if you dont hear that whining nosie for a few seconds from the fuel pump as it primes up the rail. also, if the ECU is throwin a weird code (which it might cuz u said it was runnin all weird right before) it wont allow it to run to prevent from any further damage. if all checks out i'd bring it down to the local dealership and pull the code. let us know what the prob is when you figure it out. I would be curious to know...

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrown75
have you checked the fuses? The fuel pump should run for 2 seconds after you turn the bike on. Then it should run once the bike is started.
I havn't checked the fuses...I'll do that first before digging into the fuel assembly.
Thanks madbrown.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by APEX_600RR
i seriously doubt its the fuel pump. its prob one of the kill features. check all fuses, kill switch assem., BAS, neutch inticator, clutch engaugement sensor, kick stand sensor, etc ... it will not start if you dont hear that whining nosie for a few seconds from the fuel pump as it primes up the rail. also, if the ECU is throwin a weird code (which it might cuz u said it was runnin all weird right before) it wont allow it to run to prevent from any further damage. if all checks out i'd bring it down to the local dealership and pull the code. let us know what the prob is when you figure it out. I would be curious to know...
Thanks for the suggestions Apex...I'm gonna go right down your list and check them all. What is BAS?
By the way...I see you're in Tempe. I'm in Chandler.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 11:59 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
BAS = Bank Angle Sensor
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:07 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbean7
Thanks for the suggestions Apex...I'm gonna go right down your list and check them all. What is BAS?
By the way...I see you're in Tempe. I'm in Chandler.
BAS = Bank Angle Sensor, its just a lil device behind your speedo that shuts the engine off if its tiped over or wheelied real high haha ive had bad experiences with them killin my motor and slammin me down real hard so i take em off all my bikes. yes i am in tempe, if you still are having trouble with the bike after checkin everything you can bring it by my place and we could take a look at it.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 600rrrider
BAS = Bank Angle Sensor
what does this look like and where is it located?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:14 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
what does this look like and where is it located?
small black box behind speedo, about 0.5" x 0.5" x 1", 3 wires goin to it (red, green and white)
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Make sure you didn't leave it in gear with the kick stand down. Put it in neutral, kill switch to "Run", and see if the fuel pump primes up. It's got to be one of the things Apex listed above if the pump is not priming. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump relay but check everything else first.

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRedRider
Make sure you didn't leave it in gear with the kick stand down. Put it in neutral, kill switch to "Run", and see if the fuel pump primes up. It's got to be one of the things Apex listed above if the pump is not priming. The only other thing I can think of is the fuel pump relay but check everything else first.
LOL...I have been caught making this mistake many times. Unfortunately, not this time. I've checked all that you've mentioned. Still no sound of fuel pump priming when ignition is turned on.
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-04-2006, 03:40 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
LOL...I have been caught making this mistake many times. Unfortunately, not this time. I've checked all that you've mentioned. Still no sound of fuel pump priming when ignition is turned on.
ok a few more things to try if you have the resources:
- swap out fuel pump relay (well all 3 while ur at it) w/ ones off a good bike (600RR relays are specific i believe)
- swap ECU's with a good bike to see if it clears the codes or possibly narrow down a bad ECU
- tear the ignition cyclinder (where u put ur key in) down and check the little diode to make sure its not blown either.
- directly connect ur pump to ur battery with spare peice of wire to see if u can get any action out of it (i bet u can)

thats all i can think of now, i have to go on my lunch break. I have a F4i sittin in my garage at the moment with the EXACT same prob with it. I and my buddy have tried absolutely EVERYTHING to get that damn pump to prime and have had no luck. The last thing left to swap out is the main harness. So after that is done and the bike still wont start its goin up for auction in e-bay haha! that was why i was curious to find out what the deal was with yours ... pain in the ass, mind boggling problem huh??
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I Got It!!!!!

Thank you to all for your help on this issue. I finally figured out my problem. The BAS was loose. All I had to do was reconnect it and she fired right up! I couldn't have figured this out without you guys. Thanks again!
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Good to hear!

Hey Apex, I thought we could swap the relays out with each other? Not sure though but I think I remember someone posting about this under the same scenario.

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 11:41 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Good to hear!

Hey Apex, I thought we could swap the relays out with each other? Not sure though but I think I remember someone posting about this under the same scenario.
i meant, i don't think they are interchangable between other honda bikes such as a F4i or 954. When troubleshootin i some times test parts off other bike models if i dont have other workin parts from that exact bike available. You are correct tho, all 3 relays on the 600RR are the same part number (i had to look it up on ronayers haha).
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 05:22 PM
"oh, theyre real... takatas."

Quote:
hey sorry to keep this going but what happens leaving it in gear with the kick stand down? Im a newb i know hah. I'm having trouble starting my brand new old 03' hah and im not near it right now but in what position should the kill swith be turned to? the like recycle arrows or the one with the X next to it sorry im not near the bike right now

SYTFU Crew
R.I.P. GRAPHITE GREY '03 CBR600RR Stolen
Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Io-Bot View Post
Its the wheelies man... the wheelies
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 05:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperGSR99
hey sorry to keep this going but what happens leaving it in gear with the kick stand down? Im a newb i know hah. I'm having trouble starting my brand new old 03' hah and im not near it right now but in what position should the kill swith be turned to? the like recycle arrows or the one with the X next to it sorry im not near the bike right now
it just wont turn over unless the clutch is pulled in. also u want the kill switch down on the side with the recycle arrows when starting
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 05:36 PM

hmm cause i had the clutch pulled in the switch flipped down... all of the guages were on and the headlight. it was turning a little then clicking any ideas?

SYTFU Crew
Quote:
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

dead battery. it has just enough charge to turn it over a couple times then you hear that solenoid clicking really fast when it gives up. this could be caused by leavin the bike on without the motor runnin too many times, bad voltage rectifier/regulator or just a plain old bad battery ...
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 06:31 PM

even though all the guages turn on and the headlights are bright?

SYTFU Crew
Quote:
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:29 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

yes. it takes a whole lot more current for the starter motor to turn over ur engine than to run all the other electrical components ...
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 07:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

I'm currently dealing with the same thing, everything comes on but won't start. So I bought little charger from Auto Zone to charge the battery(hopfully that will solve the problem). Also someone told me to check the fuses, but how do u check the main fuse next to the battery? Don't mean to hi-jack thread
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 08:10 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

if the main fuse is blown nothin will work at all. its right next to the battery under a little red (i think the color is) cap that says "FUSE." I dont see a bad fuse having any relation to draining a battery ...
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:25 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

sorry but this is frustrating, I checked the fuses and they are good. I got a volt tester and it was between 12 and 12.5 (which said batt. is good) I have been charging the batt. since 6pm and just went to start and still same crap, everything comes on but the start switch is a dud. should i just keep charging it??
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:34 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

^^ does it make any noise at all? the motor keeps turnin and turnin but wont fire? really fast clicking sound? or even a very faint click comin from the tail every time u press the starter?
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:38 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

well last night it wanted to start, but after a couple of trys(fast clicking) it was a dud. I could tell it was slowly losing the ability to turn over. Then I tryed to push start in first with no sucess, then tryed to push start in 2nd gear and no luck.
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 09:55 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

can u hear the high pitch whine of the fuel pump priming the rail for 3 seconds right when u turn the ignition on or throw the kill switch to RUN?
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

ok, it's cracking and wanting to start but still no cigar

Last edited by td_600rr; 04-05-2006 at 10:21 PM. Reason: update
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:30 PM

if you can hear the fuel pump whine when you turn on the ignition for 3 seconds then what? that whats happening to me haha thanks for all this help apex

SYTFU Crew
Quote:
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:33 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

if its sputtering and firing at all then i dont think its a prob w ur chargin sys. bad gas? fouled plugs? bad fuel pressure regulator? bad map on ur pcIII (if u got one) or fucked up ECU? u should run a diag. and see if that ECU is throwin any codes ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page