tough shift lever and uneven front braking - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
tough shift lever and uneven front braking

So I have a 07 cbr600 and right now there are two problems with it. The first one is my front brakes. Ever since I owned my bike (about 2 months) the fronts brakes seemed to be kinda tight on the brake rotors. I would put my bike on a stand and spin the front wheel and the back wheel. The back wheel seems spin pretty freely, while the front would spin for maybe like 2 seconds. This isnt my real concern. Last week I changed my brake pads and after several days of riding the front brakes now break unevenly. When I approach a stop light, my braking is smooth until I slow down to less than maybe 10mph. After 10mph the front brakes seems to apply strong for a second and then lets loose for the next acouple second. This repeats until I come to a complete stop. I think one of the brake rotors are bent, but I wanted to make sure before I purchase one.

My second problem is my shift lever. I believe this problem started yesterday and is now getting progressively worse. When Im at a stop light I cant shift to neutral. My bike skips neutral and goes to second gear or back down to first when I try to shift it back down. Sometimes when Im down to first and attempt to get into neutral again, my shift left is stuck, I have to use all my foot strength to get it to move. The only way I can get the bike into neutral is by turning off my bike. My bike shifts up very smoothly when Im moving. Also another thing I noticed today while I was riding, is that the down shifting was becoming tougher and the metal clank sound was a little louder. Im going to add more oil to my bike tomorrow and see where that gets me.

Sorry for the long paragraphs, but thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 01:51 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sounds like a warped rotor to me. Also, were the pistons in the brake caliper pushed all the way in before you installed the new pads?

Your second issue might be a clutch or clutch-lever mis-adjustment. If it's not disengaging sufficiently it tends to make gear shifts at lower RPMs a choppy I've found.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:48 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
tough shift lever and uneven front braking

For the shifting problem.

The way our transmissions are designed it's common to have shift problems when still. Either slowly roll the bike back and forward a few inches and try shifting again or you can slowly let the clutch lever out a little bit while trying to shift and you'll notice it goes into gear just fine.

Change your oil though. If you're starting to notice your shifts are getting rougher than normal your oil has started to break down (or you have the wrong stuff in it).

And yeah, sounds like a bent rotor. Put the wheel on a truing (balancing) stand and spin it. You'll be able to tell if anything is bent rather easily.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:49 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Don't add more oil unless you're low on oil. And if you're low on oil it begs the question as to why?

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2014, 02:51 AM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

And one more thing, don't put your bike in neutral at a light. When you're out of gear you're out of control. Anytime your bike is not engaged in a rider based function (bikes in neutral, clutch is disengaged, coasting, etc) you're out of control and just along for the ride. On the street it's dangerous cause it slows your reaction time to potential hazards. On the track it's slow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page