Thoughts on why my engine shut down? - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-28-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thoughts on why my engine shut down?

I wasn't stranded, but it sucked.

Vital signs: 2013 model, about 4K miles, dropped once at low speed 2 months ago but no performance drop detected since then until yesterday.

I was riding in the mountains. Stopped for lunch, and getting out of the town launching from the red lights, the engine seemed to drop power at around 4K RPMs but pulled again above 5K. Didn't think too much about it, kept going into the boonies at 8,000 ft. elevation, and as I was going up a 5% grade, the engine lost power like it was out of gas so I pulled over to the side. 5 seconds later it turned itself off.

Thinking about how expensive this ride is going to be, I started reading the troubleshooting section of the manual, didn't see anything that applied, and after 10 minutes I tried starting it and it turned over, so I nursed it home for another 100 miles and it was more or less OK. Once I got to sea level I gassed it on the highway and roll-on power seemed normal.

I'm neurotic about engine temp, and never saw it go over 220F. When it turned off, there were no indicator lights flashing. I've been good about chain cleaning and oil changes, and the battery is in good shape.

WTFingF?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 12:44 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Thanked 1,056 Times in 860 Posts
Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Check the connections on your battery terminals. Loose ones can cause all kinds of weird glitchy behavior.

Just start there. Its simple and you may not need to dig deeper
The Following User Says Thank You to wibbly For This Useful Post:
DoubtfulGuest (06-29-2014)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 05:30 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

one plug being fouled, or dirtier than normal..

air filter, probably. air not flowing as it should will put the brakes on the biggest engine made, certainly these bikes.

neither of which should be an issue on a bike with so few miles BUT different ppl ride in different conditions, its possible your air filter is just about done already even at that mileage. simple to check.
The Following User Says Thank You to sraenn For This Useful Post:
DoubtfulGuest (06-29-2014)

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Battery connections were snug.

Will check the air filter and plugs.

I ride the thing like a granny mostly, so I hope it's just the air filter. I did a ride several weeks ago in a really dry canyon with 40mph winds whipping up the dust ... I wonder if that led to some issues.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 PM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Its essentially impossible for an air filter to cause a stall. Plus a horrifically plugged air filter for one wouldn't happen in 4k miles and also wouldn't give intermittent issues.

The issue is likely electronic. Check all your connections.

What side of the bike did it fall on
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Fell on the left. I had a slider on it and soft luggage, so it didn't get damaged much: bent rearset, bent bar, rashed plastic.

Took it to 5,000 ft / 50 miles yesterday. No issues.

I've got a Scorpio alarm on it, but no other aftermarket wiring or electronics.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Ldn
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Check the charge on your battery.

"I don't want to burden you with my problems... but I think I've outgrown my yacht."

:)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2014, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I ride the bike almost every day, so the battery should be fine.

It doesn't get parked for weeks with the alarm activated, in other words. The other day I didn't notice the kill switch engaged, and hit the starter button repeatedly without any sign the battery was draining.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 01:16 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

I let my air filter go too long and it's been causing the bike problems including stalling a few times, once on the damn highway. Fun. Restricted air most certainly affects everything else. I put a k&n filter in it, just cuz that's what I could find in stock nearby, and magically no more problems in a bike that still needs the plugs changed too..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 02:14 AM
BOTY 2014 Winner

Garage
Check all your grounding points. There should be a bundle of grounds attached to the frame on the left side of the bike
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 AM
Administrator

Thanked 1,530 Times in 1,047 Posts
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
An air filter won't cause a problem that comes and goes. If it gets that bad it will run like crap and keep running like crap.

Chances are you have an electrical problem, have a look at the battery and the output of the RR.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Training Wheel Hero

could your previous put down have caused any damage to the BAS? May be acting up after taking a dive. But starting with Electrics would be a good start.

07 CBR600RR
Two Brothers Carbon exhaust
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

One of the benefits of the alarm is that the fob will display battery voltage, which is where it should be.

Took it for an oil change at the dealer yesterday, and the head wrench said it could have been that the ECU needed to reset for the altitude. No idea what that meant, but it's been running fine for a few hundred miles now.

Hopefully nothing more to report, though the shutdown shook my confidence in Honda reliability a smidge.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-06-2014, 10:38 PM
05/16 BOTM Winner / Pocketbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubtfulGuest View Post
One of the benefits of the alarm is that the fob will display battery voltage, which is where it should be.

Took it for an oil change at the dealer yesterday, and the head wrench said it could have been that the ECU needed to reset for the altitude. No idea what that meant, but it's been running fine for a few hundred miles now.

Hopefully nothing more to report, though the shutdown shook my confidence in Honda reliability a smidge.
The tech meant the ecu had to adjust to the lower barometric pressure at higher altitude.. Barometric pressure plays a huge role in delivering the proper air/fuel ratio for the engine. Seen it before in cars mostly. Disconnecting the battery for a couple mins should be enough to reset the fuel trims stored in the ecu. Allowing it to relearn at the new altitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page