Possible Battery Issue - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Possible Battery Issue

So I take the ole girl out to the drag strip tonight. Rode her to work this morning. Rode her home. Rode to meet up with my pals. Then onto the track. Absolutely no prior issues. I cut the engine to wait on someone then she wouldn't start again. We popped the clutch and she started right up. Got her home now. Al I get is click, click, click. WTF? Connections are good. I think I will start my stickin' a voltage meter on the battery.

Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated. I can't go with out her for long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:32 PM
AMA Supersport Racer

damn, i'm having the same problem. Must be the FL weather or something. lol
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
she needs fresh juice man charge her up
i am sure you guys know batterys do not like FL heat

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by td_600rr
damn, i'm having the same problem. Must be the FL weather or something. lol
Right? Sucks! I guess it is high time I have a mechanical issue with her tho.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2006, 10:50 PM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
pull the terminals off the battery and scuff them up a lil' bit. been know to get some corosion in there and prevent a good connection. try that first and let us know how it goes.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceph
pull the terminals off the battery and scuff them up a lil' bit. been know to get some corosion in there and prevent a good connection. try that first and let us know how it goes.
Thanks man. Will do. I hate driving my car.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Mean while back at the ranch...

She has been sitting neglected in the garage since Wednesday night. I know it's aweful. So I go to crank 'er up this evenin' and VIOLA! starts right up. WTF do I do now? Poor girl just don't know what to do with 'er se'f.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMoTo
Mean while back at the ranch...

She has been sitting neglected in the garage since Wednesday night. I know it's aweful. So I go to crank 'er up this evenin' and VIOLA! starts right up. WTF do I do now? Poor girl just don't know what to do with 'er se'f.
Put a volt meter on the battery. Anything under 13.0v needs to be charged. You need to charge your battery every 3-4 months regardless of how it cranks or runs. Even if it runs perfectly fine. I still have the stock battery and only ran into a cranking problem last year. Battery voltage was 12.4v and I wound up push starting it in full gear. Not fun.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 03:46 PM

um... ill put in my two cents since i didnt see an anwser i liked... you need to do a static and a dynamic test on you battery to see if it is ok. start off by charging you battery, one you believe it is full charged(usually when the charger cuts off) let it sit for one hour. measure the voltage of your battery if its anything less than 12.66(assuming your using a sealed battery) trash it you have a dead cell, one thats not charging all the way, or it has been deep cycled to many times. if it is ok put the volt meter on the battery and crank the battery it the battery drops below 8.5 volts when your cranking it trash it, it wont hold a charge and never will again.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc3
um... ill put in my two cents since i didnt see an anwser i liked... you need to do a static and a dynamic test on you battery to see if it is ok. start off by charging you battery, one you believe it is full charged(usually when the charger cuts off) let it sit for one hour. measure the voltage of your battery if its anything less than 12.66(assuming your using a sealed battery) trash it you have a dead cell, one thats not charging all the way, or it has been deep cycled to many times. if it is ok put the volt meter on the battery and crank the battery it the battery drops below 8.5 volts when your cranking it trash it, it wont hold a charge and never will again.
They need to charge the battery with a 1amp charger for 5-8hrs. Preferably one that won't overcharge the battery if you leave it on overnight. Mine was down to 12.4v 1-1/2 years ago and it's still going.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2006, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Well thank y'all for the input. According to Mr. Roland Stuart the battery is shot...dead cell. I rode 'er in today anyway. I can get about 4-5 cranks out of her before all I get is click, click, click.

I ride this bike everyday (unless I am hung over) to and from work. Apparently I am taking more out of the battery by riding her short distances. Perhaps riding 'er to ATL would do 'er some good. I need to go up there anyway.

So should I just buy a new battery or just plug 'er in, get a full charge and see what happens? Battery was charging at 12.5v at idle and a little more at 5000 RPMs. It will do this about four times and then back to the click, click, click.

It breaks my heart to have her not feeling well.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2006, 12:02 PM
Moto GP Racer

Garage
Well I have no idea who Roland Stuart is but if he put a load test on the battery and said it was bad then buy another one. You can always get a second opinion at Auto Zone or Advancded Auto parts for free. If the battery is good buy a 1 amp battery charger that specifically says it won't hurt the battery if you leave it on overnight. 12.5v is definitely too low. Buy the charger and charge the battery. You have nothing to loose. Just make sure you pull the battery out of the bike to charge it.

With your short trip riding it's not so much the distance that's killing the battery but the number of cranks your putting the battery through. You need to charge the battery every few months to keep it fully charged.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page