Starting rough - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting rough

Hope someone has some kind of idea on what in the heck is happening to my bike!! It is an 04 600RR and here is a summary of what is going on.

Every morning I pull the bike out of the garage and it starts completely normal. I warm it up and ride it to work without any issues what so ever.

Once I get off work I will go out to start the bike, turn the key and flip the kill switch on. Now here is where it gets odd. If it has been a hot day I flip the kill switch and the fuel pump will not prime. I can flip the switch on and off one time and then it primes normal. Once I start the bike it runs really rough and will usually die if I walk away from it. Once the bike gets running which takes a minute or so it seems to run fine until I get going. It will sporadically turn off while riding down the road. When it shuts down it acts like you hit the kill switch. Its just fine one second and gone the next. To get it running again I flip the kill switch and pop the clutch and it will come back to life.

I have had it into the shop twice and they said they cant pinpoint it until it is acting up all the time. Problem is, it only does this when its really warm outside and the bike sits in the heat and sun.

I am hoping someone out there has had a similar issue and might be able to help out. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 10:44 PM
BOTM Winner 03/14

I read as far as kill switch that's your problem kill switch leave it alone. Use your key to turn on and off your bike.

My simple build.

RIP SpdyG_AK 22 June 2014
The Following User Says Thank You to D1stylz For This Useful Post:
tlambert_01 (07-08-2014)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Knee Dragger

I agree.....the kill switch is for emergencies....leave it alone. I'm not sure why everyone chooses to use it instead of the key. You turn your car off with the key, so do the same with your bike. You might need to take apart the kill switch and check it out from the inside. I see a lot of people that use it regularly usually find a problem behind it. Fix it and stop using it.

'09 CBR 600RR
- Two Brothers carbon fiber black series slip on exhaust
- Power Commander V
- Autotuner
- Zero Gravity double bubble dark smoke windscreen
- BK Moto V2 dual halo/demon eye projector kit
- TST smoke integrated taillight
- ASV F3 shorty levers
- flush mount front signals
- Galfer steel braided brake lines and pads

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Im not to sure that the kill switch is the issue. I have tried leaving it alone and nothing changes. Would the kill switch cause the bike to run rough when starting in the heat? If I start it when its cool nothing happens. The shop I took it to just told me it had to be something else.
Maybe they are incorrect?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 10:10 AM
Moto GP Racer

Thanked 1,167 Times in 990 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
sounds like the kill switch to me. Take it apart and look to make sure there aren't any loose connections or corrosion. Once you get that done, leave it alone... don't use it. That's what the key is for

2006 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition
2W1R - IceTitan
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 11:44 AM
Moto GP Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
how old is your battery?

Maybe have it tested?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2014, 12:01 PM
World Superbike Racer

I had a problem like this with my last RR. Sometimes it would take several attempts at flicking the switch to get the pump to prime, usually on warm startups. Unfortunately, the bike didn't live long enough for me to find the cause. My thought was either the switch or the fuel pump relay. I would also look for any loose wiring... wires are stiff when cold but loosen up when warm which can exacerbate a bad connection.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-10-2014, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I think I will take the kill switch apart and check it out. Hopefully that will end up being the issue. I will definitely stop using it and only use the key. I will keep all of you updated with what I find. Thanks!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-07-2014, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Alright guys...I am going to rip my hair out here.
I finally took the killswitch apart and cleaned it up and put it back together. The switch itself looked good and is functioning ok.

This however did not solve the issue. Like I said in an earlier post when it is cool outside it runs perfect but once it sets in the sun all day I go to hop on it and half the time when turning on the key, the fuel pump will not prime. Once I turn the key off and on again it will prime and start.
Once started, every once in a while it will sputter so badly it will kill itself but that is rare.
Then I hop on it and go and it will just randomly die. Completely random speeds, gears, giving it power or stopping. Doesnt seem to care what is going on. It just shuts off.
Has anybody have any ideas of what to check?
I am looking at the fuel pump relay but I dont see that being the issue.
It seems something is overheating and cutting the power.

Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page