Rough starting after engine rebuild. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough starting after engine rebuild. ***FIXED***

ISSUE RESOLVED

Having a few issues with the bike since I rebuilt the engine. 2005 CBR600RR

First off the temperature on the bike after sitting overnight in the garage was 190 from a cold start. It was 65 degrees last night.
I get the bike running and the temp climbs FAST. It went from 190 at a cold to start to 230 in about 30 seconds.

Second issue is that the radiator fan never came on. Searching the forum it looks like it should have kicked on around 220. I checked the relays and they appear to be fine. Haven't checked the fan itself yet but it worked before I pulled the engine.

Third... The engine is rough to start. I have to hold the throttle wide open and feather the throttle to get it to start running. It does this whether it is hot or cold. It almost seems like it is flooding out when it starts. Once running, it idles fine and the engine sounds great now.
I did some searching and the only other person on this forum with a similar issue said it was a kinked vent hose. I checked all the hoses and even lifted the tank to start.
That was not the issue.

Any ideas what the hell the fix could be to any of these? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have exhausted the search function on this forum. I had other issues and was able to resolve all of them by searching the forum.
I just can't seem to find an answer for these last three issues.

I have a factory service manual and have tried everything it mentions.

Last edited by travr6; 07-16-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: RESOLVED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM
Knee Dragger

The quick rise in temp is probably just an air lock in the cooling system. As for the rough starting, could be a split in a vacuum hose if none of them are kinked.

I am currently rebuilding my 05 600RR, I hope I don't have these issues with mine when I come to start it!

Akrapovic full exhaust system with Carbon Hex can, K&N air filter, HRC Bell Mouths, Worked Head, HRC Cams, HRC ECU, Power Commander V, Ignition Commander V, Ohlins Rear shock, Ohlins front fork internals, HRC fully floating front discs, Ohlins Steering Damper, Suter Slipper Clutch, Black swingarm, Rev lights, Digital Gear indicator and Oil temp gauge, braided brake lines, Tail Tidy, Single seat Cowl, Double Bubble screen, flush mount LED indicators, tinted light covers, Honda Averto Alarm & HISS
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnH79 For This Useful Post:
travr6 (07-16-2014)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 11:58 AM
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Does it really make sense that the engine is 190* cold? Obviously something is wrong with your thermo. Hard start could be air/fuel problem. Start easy and ensure TB's are nice and tight along with vaccuum hoses and such.
The Following User Says Thank You to graffitiRR08 For This Useful Post:
travr6 (07-16-2014)

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

I never topped off the coolant after I ran the bike so I am sure there is some air trapped.

I will go with that first.

No clue on the rough starting. I will check the throttle bodies and lines/wires going to them.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-16-2014, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Gotta love simple fixes.

The ECT plug was not properly seated.
Plugged it in securely and it fixed everything.

Bike sounds like brand new now.
36,000 miles on the bike and the internals were nearly new according to the specs.
Should be good to go now.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page