Headlights and battery/charge Issue - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Headlights and battery/charge Issue

I purchased a headlight kit for my 08 CBR600rr at the beginning of the year from BKmoto. I installed it all and had borka help me several times to get it right. Up until recently ive had an issue that when im riding, my headlights will turn off, and my guages act weird and start to blink. When i pull over to check out the bike (still on), one light will be on and the other will be off when i toggle it and the same goes for the halos. when i turn the bike off and try to restart it my battery is completely drained. ive taken it to get charged, disconnected my alarm and the bike was fine for a few days. when I decided to ride it again, the bike did the same thing with the lights. knowing not to turn it off so i wouldnt be stranded, i drove it back to a relatives house. when i shut it off and tried to turn it back on, it wouldnt start. I then jump started the bike with my cousins bike. After it started, i drove it home but noticed i wasnt getting the same throttle response and my bike was stuttering as though to turn off. rode the bike in the first few gears to keep it from shutting off and when i got home, the bike turned off on its own and would not start. is there anything you know of that might have caused this? the bike was working fine for months after the installation of the kit. so im wondering if anyone has been introduced with something like this before. im hoping its not a short. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jorge Villegas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
You have to determine what is causing the battery to get so drained in such a way its one of two either the battery had a bad cell causing it not to hold a charge or the charging aystem is not doing its job . First test is to load test the battery if you have a multimeter yo can do it yourself if not take it off the bike & any auto parts store such as Peo boys , Discount Auto , Napa can get it load tested for you if it passes such test get it fully charged & go for a ride Next day if its dead again then its the charging system not doing its job & you need to replace the rectifier / Regulator . But if it does not pass the load test then simpky get a new battery

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moeman For This Useful Post:
EAZY87 (07-17-2014)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

That's my first step. I was going to get a voltmeter and ensure I'm running the proper volts but before I ran through taking the entire bike apart, I wanted a starting point. Imma check the battery first n I'll post how it goes. I was immediately drawn to the fact that I had a headlight kit and figured something along the wiring must have gone bad. Imma test that battery today.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Back in the Day

In general the RR battery is not that strong to begin with its main job is to get the bike running and keep all the electrical components lights , fuel pump in working order . The battery gets recharged during riding with RPM above 3K if the battery has a bad cell it will not hold a charge but at the same token if the rectifier regulator is not working like it should the battery will not get recharged either .

Alarm systems suck battery juce fast so that is another restraint on it . A good practice when stopped at Red lights when the fan turns on to cool diwn the motor turn off the high beam if its on to conserve battery power . Just determine first the condition of the battery then go from there

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Batteries in the shop, they're gonna charge and test it. I'll know by tomorrow about the battery. I'm kind of wishing it's the battery. All of this happened very suddenly so I'm thinking it can't be my wiring. We'll see I'll post more ASAP.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2014, 05:20 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAZY87 View Post
Batteries in the shop, they're gonna charge and test it. I'll know by tomorrow about the battery. I'm kind of wishing it's the battery. All of this happened very suddenly so I'm thinking it can't be my wiring. We'll see I'll post more ASAP.
I am speculating its the battery as well keep this thread updated and will sort you out

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So the shop called today, they told me they charged my battery and tested it and the battery is good to go and has no issues. The next step I believe will be to test the rectifier regulator. Right?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Back in the Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAZY87 View Post
So the shop called today, they told me they charged my battery and tested it and the battery is good to go and has no issues. The next step I believe will be to test the rectifier regulator. Right?
Indeed testing the charging system would be the next step specially if end up going for a ride and come in the morning to find the battery dead again then tha would be prime proof the battery ain't getting charged up like it should

The Following User Says Thank You to Moeman For This Useful Post:
EAZY87 (07-19-2014)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

How do you test the rectifier regulator and where is it located?
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Back in the Day

Its located on the left side of the bike underneath the left side middle fairing as far as testing it you need to find a PDF for a shop manual that will come very handy & helpful check the pm i sent you . If the link i sent you does not work search on the net for such file i am sure you will find a download link

I would have helped you out wirh procedure info if i still owned an RR & had my shop manual but i sold them both two years ago

Last edited by Moeman; 07-19-2014 at 11:46 AM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

so today i tested my rectifier regulator and on one of the points it shows OFL. im assuming its not working. i youtube'd how to test one and followed all the steps and i think its gonna be my rectifier regulator. all my other combination of contacts were consistent but there was one that jumped to a regular number but then went back to OFL. and the rest of them read the same. im going to take it to a shop to make sure. i would post pictures of what im talking about but idk how to post em on here.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Back in the Day

So its the rectifier / regulator that is not working properly just get the dealer to confirm results before ordering a new one here is a listings off Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...ator+&_sacat=0

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So I'm pretty bummed out because as it turns out, it's not the rectifier. I'm gonna test the stator and redo the wiring for my headlights. It really sucks because Im horrible at wiring and electrical. I got a multimeter I'm still kind of learning how to use. Thankfully I got a friend a little savvier with electrical that's gonna give me a hand this weekend. But if it were my headlights or the headlight wiring wouldn't there be a fuse blowing out? I've checked and my fuses are in tact. Ive heard that if I heat up the rectifier with a heat gun, that'll sometimes give different results. It looks like I have to check the stator next before accepting the fact that I didn't wire my headlights right. When I made all connections I didn't shrink the heat shrink connectors but they're on good. My alarm system I don't think is causing it. I have the Scorpio is900 and it has the ignition cut off switch but it all has been working perfectly fine. I disconnected the alarm and it still shutting off. I hope I can figure this out.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-31-2014, 03:52 PM
Back in the Day

You are on the right path do not give up yet , stay positive , electrical gremlins are tough to figure out sometimes just keep at it you will get it sorted out eventually

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2014, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

So today, I'm testing out my battery with the bike off and it's reading at 12.73 on the multimeter. When it's on it reads 12.30 / 12.28/ then 12.26. After a while of it warming up it went to 13.45 and climbed to 13.60ish. Initially When I rev it to 5k rpm initially before warming up it drops to 12.14. After warming up it goes to 13.60 the highest. Are these normal readings?
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-10-2014, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

This week I disconnected the headlights from the bike. Even after doing so the next morning the battery was dead. Today I tested the continuity of all my wires from my headlights and they're all good. I rewired the entire harness and I'm waiting to plug it all back on. I'm starting to take it as a loss and am considering taking it to a shop.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 04:00 AM
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It looks like it's your battery. I had a similar problem but mine was the gauge acting weird and the battery was getting drained. I replaced my voltage rr and battery but after a few months I had the same problem. I had the voltage rr and stator checked both were ok. Replaced the gel battery from cycle gear with a better brand -Shorai and so far no problems.

What part of Cali are you from?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-12-2014, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

I live in banning, about 15 minutes from palm springs and about 25 from riverside. ive had the battery load tested and it all turns out good. i had the rectifier regulator tested at the local bike shop and they told me it was good. the stator i tested with a voltmeter and it all looks good. this past weekend i took my entire wiring harness for my headlights off and tested for continuity and it all looks good there too. i also rewired it connecting them with those heat shrink connectors. this weekeng im going to put it all back on and test my alarm system. its a headache.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page