Fuel cut-off Relay clicking, Won't Start. - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel cut-off Relay clicking, Won't Start. (SOLVED)

After a couple hours of riding out in the sun, I turned off my bike for an hour, then headed back out. About a mikle down the rode, at a stop light, The bike stalled when the light turned green (Might have been my fault).

When i tried to start the bike up again, it wouldn't turn over and the dash was cutting in and out every time i pressed the start button. Along with that when i turn the ignition to the off position and back on, they fuel cut-off relay clicks about 50 times but the clicking isnt consistant, sometimes it clicks 10 or so. when it stops clicking the fuel pump primes or sometimes i can just hear the injectors doing something.

I charged the battery and nothing, checked every fuse, have continuity to every wire i have checked, although i havnt checked them in the ECM but not sure if it mattered sionce power was everywhere else.

My Starter relay clicks when i press the start button, the lights on the dash dim a little when i press start...also when i was on that ride my ass was gettin hot as hell, so i think its the battery but its charged all the way......any thoughts or similar problems? Thanks!!

Last edited by NP2H; 07-24-2014 at 01:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Too short to drag knee.

Feedback Score: 11 reviews
How old is the battery? Also, have you checked the voltage coming from the regulator/stator? If the lights are dimming when you're cranking the bike, it generally means the battery doesn't have enough juice to turn the starter over. Make sure the fuel pump primes when you turn the key to the on position.

If it's intermittent you may have a bad ground/connection somewhere. I would trace that as well.

LRRS/CCS AM #521

The Following User Says Thank You to makct04 For This Useful Post:
NP2H (07-24-2014)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:22 PM
World Superbike Racer

Garage
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
It sounds like the battery. I know you charged it, but did you load test it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.

2010 Leyla
The Following User Says Thank You to X-treme1 For This Useful Post:
NP2H (07-24-2014)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 PM
Training Wheel Hero

Your light is supposed to stay on when pressing the starter to start the bike? I may have read it wrong. When I start my bike the light turns off as soon as the starter button is pressed and comes back on as soon as I let go. The bike never has a problem starting or cranks slowly
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Well gentleman, your advice, patience and perseverance paid off today, I finally got someone to come over with their car and without the car running i jumped the bike and it purrrrrrrred like a lion, that means to me that the battery must be as sour as a lemon and as decieving as a woman because the battery is fully charged but when i put the multi meter to the battery posts and turned er" over the charge dropped into the red....tricky son of a gun...thanks again guys.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 02:32 AM
Back in the Day

Thanked 2,544 Times in 2,156 Posts
Feedback Score: 148 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP2H View Post
Well gentleman, your advice, patience and perseverance paid off today, I finally got someone to come over with their car and without the car running i jumped the bike and it purrrrrrrred like a lion, that means to me that the battery must be as sour as a lemon and as decieving as a woman because the battery is fully charged but when i put the multi meter to the battery posts and turned er" over the charge dropped into the red....tricky son of a gun...thanks again guys.
Fully charged but when tested the charge rate dropped into the red means its time for a new battery but before buying a new one get the current one load tested just to make sure

If it doesn't challange you it won't change you
Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
Fully charged but when tested the charge rate dropped into the red means its time for a new battery but before buying a new one get the current one load tested just to make sure

There shouldn't be any reason for a load test seeing as how I jumped the bike off a car battery and it only starts when i jump it, it remains running so I can safely cross out the regulator, it started so there goes the starter relay and what we have left since it rmained running and starts with a jump, means its the battery, no ifs and or buts about it. thanks

Last edited by NP2H; 07-24-2014 at 05:45 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 06:48 AM
Back in the Day

Sure is its not holding the charge any more once you turn it off it will die

Only two ways to live life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Training Wheel Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeman View Post
Sure is its not holding the charge any more once you turn it off it will die
It holds qa charge just fine, it only drops in the red when the starter is engaged, so jumping it from a car battery gives it the extra support it needs to turn the starter over and it runs fine when i disconnect the jumper cables because once its running the battery doesnt have to work as hard, isnt that what the regulator is doing? regulating....

anyways, i guess im not sure what yor trying to say, maybe im reading wrong but is there something im missing? Im picking up a new battery today and i suspect i won't have this issue any longer when i swap the old one out..
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Back in the Day

A new battery will resolve your issue i am sure

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page