08 CBR 600rr cut out in traffic with low oil pressure light - 600RR.net
Troubleshooting Having trouble with your bike? Common know issues or trobuleshooting questions here.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
08 CBR 600rr cut out in traffic with low oil pressure light

Hey guys so I have a 2008 car 600rr with 4900kms, I went out for a ride about a week ago and I had the bike cut out on me at crawling speed. I rode about 30km's highway and had to feather the clutch through around a mall parking lot before the bike randomly shut itself off and the low oil pressure light come on. I tried to start the bike twice, had electric power, but it wouldnt even crank. Tried one more time after pushing it to a parking space and the bike fired back up with the low oil pressure light gone.

I had to quickly get inside for a work function, but was able to check my oil levels and owners manual before restarting the bike and letting it idle for a few min 2 hrs after the bike had first cut out. No oil leaks, battery terminals tight.

The bike rode home and the low oil pressure light never came back on after the incident. I should also mention that it was a hot day (although I was too rushed to check its temperature when it cut out in traffic). Now looking back I also cleaned the bike very quickly before heading out to my work function, could water in the air intake have caused this? Any suggestions? Don't have a reader to check codes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Also checked out all related threads on the topic
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 AM
World Superbike Racer

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The low oil pressure light comes on whenever the bike is not running, so I'm not seeing the issue if it came on when the bike shut off and went off when it was running.

What am I not reading right?

Mike

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Knee Dragger

Would it crank and not turn over, or not even attempt to crank? I know you said it wouldn't crank I just want to verify.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2014, 08:15 PM
06/2016 BOTM Winner 07/2015 BOTM Winner

did you forget to pull the clutch in and tried to start it in gear?

2008 Graffiti Edition
- Flush Mounts
- Fender Eliminator Kit
-Yoshimura RS-5 Slip On
FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/GRAYFOXRR
MOTOVLOG CHANNEL - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...4RgoTbx9yqHhfY
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Knee Dragger

Sorry for the late response guys..

Um well that the light came on when the bike quite while I was riding the bike Mike. I do know what you mean about the light coming on usually before you start it. But I figured that it was actually indicating low oil pressure when the bike cut out on me and wouldn't crank until i pushed the bike to safe spot and tried a third time.

It wouldn't even attempt to crank graffitiRR08

I'm pretty confident that I had the clutch in VenomRR, but it was in gear when I tried to restart it.

I haven't had this issue reoccur since this incident, although I really haven't rode the bike since. Just been able to start the bike without any of this previous problems. Battery connections were all tight
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 AM
AMA Supersport Racer

What was the temperature of the bike when it shut off?

2A7X3. Aircraft Structural Maintenance.

Any corrosion (Paint, priming, identification, etc) or Fabrication (Sheetmetal, Fiberglass, Tubing, etc)
questions, go ahead and ask and I'll do the best to respond to the best of my knowledge.

Current : '08 CBR1000RR 20160213
Wrecked: '05 CBR600RR 20151221 RIP

Crashes: 2 minor low speed lowsides, 1 50MPH impact.
Injuries: 0 Broken bones, possible tear in shoulder.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:29 AM
World Superbike Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproofprs View Post
Sorry for the late response guys..

Um well that the light came on when the bike quite while I was riding the bike Mike. I do know what you mean about the light coming on usually before you start it. But I figured that it was actually indicating low oil pressure when the bike cut out on me and wouldn't crank until i pushed the bike to safe spot and tried a third time.

It wouldn't even attempt to crank graffitiRR08

I'm pretty confident that I had the clutch in VenomRR, but it was in gear when I tried to restart it.

I haven't had this issue reoccur since this incident, although I really haven't rode the bike since. Just been able to start the bike without any of this previous problems. Battery connections were all tight
Let me explain what I'm saying a little better, that might help. The low oil pressure light is a functional light that glows when there is no (or low) oil pressure. When you initially turn the key on to start the bike, look down and you'll see it glow because with the bike not running as it has no oil pressure. But once you start the bike, the light goes out. So what I'm getting at is you're seemingly listing the low oil pressure light as a symptom for it cutting out and I'm saying that it's typical operation for a non running, key is on, motor. If I go down a straight road pull in the clutch and shut off the engine kill switch my oil pressure light will go on and go off when I turn the bike back on.

So you're sure that while you were riding and the engine was running you got the low oil pressure light? Not just as it was dying or once it shut off? Because I know I'd probably not be looking at the dash until after the bike shut off in a parking lot and what you're describing then is normal with the exception of it not restarting which I'm thinking is a battery issue since it's an 08.

Assuming then the light did go in while the engine was running. When was your last oil change and what brand, weight and type of oil was used? Any other symptoms? Anything you've done to it recently, even if it's something you think isn't related?

Mike
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 07:35 AM
Knee Dragger

Just putting in my .02 but I'm not sure why it shut off at first but then you said you parked it and tried to start it in gear? We'll if it was parked and you had the kickstand down in gear it wouldn't start. It's a safety function for our bikes. Even if you start the bike in neutral then put it in gear with the kickstand down it will shut right off. Just trying to help buddy.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2014, 11:45 PM
Training Wheel Hero

I had my bike cut out the other day in traffic. Mine was due to the battery being original and drawing too much juice to recharge. I was on a downhill so I popped the clutch and it fired up. Kept the rpms up and didn't have an issue for the next 2 days. Then my new battery showed up. :) Before I replaced the battery it was charging at 12.4 volts. After replacing the battery it is charging at 13.8

Last edited by fedj18; 08-11-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 600RR.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page